iPad mini excitement

The APR I bought my Mini from didn’t have a Smart Folio case, so I looked around and found one on Amazon NL for almost € 18. It is made by Ztotop. There is also a (fake) leather one.

I like it, it gives good protection and you can attach the pencil to the side.

I am a sucker for Bellroy products, they have a sling and a City pouch, in both they have larger size versions too. I have the sling but at my age/build , I don’t think I can pull it off very well

I’ve only used it the once, but I’m liking it so far. It holds the mini with the pencil attached nicely and it’s easy to get the mini in and out. However, it’s not going to carry the mini and a bunch of other stuff. I’ve got the mini and an iClever folding keyboard in the outside pocket. I might be able to get a fairly flat battery or something similar in the inside pockets, but that’s about it.

The only thing I don’t like is the way the metal zipper pull on the outside pocket’s zipper jangles. I may end up snipping that off and replacing it with a corded zipper pull.

You’re referring to the ‘plus’ size bag or the smaller sized one? I love their stuff

The larger one. Seems like every time I buy an iPad I end up getting something from Waterfield or Tom Bihn.

1 Like

For me it’s Waterfield. I gave up on Tom Bihn a few years ago. Wear it well!

Out of curiosity, what was your bad experience with Tom Bihn?

reading the post on this thread that discussed external keyboard. My use case for ipad mini is to use it as a consumption device most of the time, reading ebook, emails, Instapaper, Goodlinks articles, etc. However I do like to use this to reply to short email etc. I do not like to carry and has to turn on a bluetooth external keyboard just for the occasional typing, so I use the built in virtual keyboard instead.

Can someone explain to me the logic behind Apple decided NOT to enable quickpath (or slide or swipe) typing unless the keyboard is zoomed into a floating mode? Please refer to this article and the screenshot below. I called the Apple Genius and confirmed that is correct.

Sure. Just to be clear, no problems related to quality or support. My issue with them are around their design which I find very boring and their lack of innovation. I never felt comfortable walking into a meeting with one of their bags as the fabrics/materials always looked rather industrial.
Obviously design is a matter of taste etc but the one thing that drove me absolutely crazy was their production cycles. If I found something I wanted they never had it in stock. And they were never in any particular rush to get it made.
Waterfield has designs that I like, great quality and they respond to the market. People didn’t like the Apple earphone case? Boom! They quickly filled that vacuum.

@tjluoma @webwalrus I was looking at an actual working inbound/outbound phone call solution for iPad (Mini) and came past this:

Worth a watch and maybe a night of tinkering to make this “iPad mini-only” thing actually working!

Think you will be able to call forward your mobile number to the AWS trunk and use it as a caller ID in the outbound calls. Should feel like a native phone experience, whilst keeping iMessage and FaceTime services intact.

UPS just delivered two “Smart Folio for iPad mini (6th generation) - Electric Orange”.

Please note: I only have one iPad mini (6th generation).

Apparently I ordered one on September 20th and another on September 24th.

When I tell people I have a terrible memory they’re always like “haha me too!” and I’m like “no but really”.

7 Likes

Sounds like you’ll have to order another iPad mini!

2 Likes

Day Electric Orange case/night Electric Orange case. :grin:

1 Like

Coming from the 11inch 2018 iPad Pro, I am finding the display of the iPad mini to be of low quality. I am puzzled as to why because both devices have the same display.

Is this just me?

The two of you should start a call-in show where you give people life advice. :joy:

6 Likes

Epoxy one to a Vesa mount so you can snap the mini In place with its magnets. Then use an external keyboard and Magic Trackpad 2 at your desk for FaceTime, zoom etc - all at eye level.

2 Likes

So I tinkered around this weekend and now have an iPad phone (though a 12.9" Pro as my Mini will take another month to arrive). The 3CX/AWS solution works well. I have to wait for my external number to come through as in the UK these are not online available (unlike US where you can pick area codes and toll free numbers), but expect this to work too in the next couple of days. Audio/Video and inbound/outbound calls all work with 1000 extensions to configure worldwide for calling. Send people a QR code to set up their phone and they become part of your “company” phone system. A nice and private way to communicate.

When you forward your mobile number to your extension and use it also as preconfigured callerID no one will ever notice you ar enot calling from your mobile. Only difference is you have to dial a 9 for an outside line. I have it nor working on iPhone, iPad and Mac

4 Likes

I bit the bullet and ordered the 256gb purple. Will arrive first week of November. This purchase also motivated me to get an Apple Card which I used to purchase the device.$20 back in my pocket

1 Like

that is so cool, the geek in me wants to try this. What is the cost after the year is up if you are only using a handful of extensions?

It’s gonna be great! I bought the Mini 5 2.5 years ago when it came out and use it literally every single day. It’s fantastic. I’m super confident this will be a huge upgrade.