Is it time to ditch 1Password?

iCloud could replace 1Password for many people. I’d still want it or something similar for use on computers I don’t own. Example, for the computer my employer gives me where I can’t install 3rd party software, but I can install 1Password X Chrome extension to get access to my passwords. LastPass might also work. Don’t forget non-MacOS computers as well.

To my knowledge iCloud keychain on works on Macs/iDevices where you are logged into iCloud. It would be cool if Apple had keychain extension like 1Password X that gave you access to your passwords.

Are you listening , Apple? :slight_smile:

Once we became an all-Apple household again I started really appreciating the ease of use of keychain. I then began accepting the suggested ‘strong’ password for new sites. Then a recent article caused me to change all my important financial and other sites to 2FA and strong random passwords.
Then I changed my Apple password. Sheesh! Updating that on each device was not fun. I have had to re-enter this password multiple times on each device. It’s been a big pain, and it has caused me to rethink using the keychain. Actually retrieving a password manually is a lot harder than my other pw manager, Bitwarden.
Also, there is no way to export keychain ID/pw data. Lots of lock-in here.

I’ve been using BitWarden for a year or two, first on Linux and now on Mac. It is very nice, never had any major issues with it!

I think it is time to ditch 1Password. The switch to a subscription model purportedly means “they can release new features regularly because they aren’t holding them back for big version releases to entice people to paying for new versions because they are getting regularly monthly income”

but in reality it means “people are paying us to literally do nothing so why bother developing? it will cost people significant switching cost to change platforms, and they’re clearly happy with the product they currently have, or they wouldn’t be paying us monthly, so why bother making it better?”

1 Like

I use Bitwarden for personal, 1Password for work (my idea.) 1Password is better, feature wise and stability-wise, and it supports more platforms more steadily. I’m glad Bitwarden exists and pay it $10/year but 1Password is the project that understands how expensive it is to develop and maintain consumer software, that works everywhere, as customer expectations change. It’ll never be complete.

How does it work on iOS without an app?

That’s a super cynical take and demonstrably not true simply based on their release notes since they have gone subscription. I’m not sure how that’s a justifiable position.

2 Likes

I agree. I think there’s development as well as real value in the product (hosting files, watch tower, syncing) that cost money to run.

Having said that, I am trying out Bitwarden now since I don’t really need 1P’s strengths and so I’m interested in a cheaper option. I’m always nervous about storing highly sensitive data in a syncing service (eg credit card details), but from what I’ve read Bitwarden seems secure.

My 1Password subscription is coming up for renewal in a few months time, and I’m currently looking at alternatives to see if they offer better value. Both my mother and sister are using LastPass currently, which seems to be working well. I’ve used LastPass before, and they seem to have improved their service in the last few years.

One issue I have is that I’m using 1Password’s 2FA features for quite a few logins, so if I do migrate I’ll need to turn those off. Another thing I’ll need to check is how good the import/export is with LastPass.

I’m also going to look into BitWarden.

1Password stores the “seed” for TOTP codes; you should be able to import that in other tools.

(You can see it by editing an entry and looking at the value in the One-Time-Password field)

I just tried to update the password of my old LastPass account, cause 1Password told me the password was weak. (Which is fair…)
I’ve logged in four times trying to get to the “change password” screen, but because LastPass wants me to “reactivate” my account, it keeps telling me that in order to log in (to change my password), I have to change my password – and then it doesn’t let me!
I feel violated! How can anyone use this piece of shit software?

Why should they need to add value (although they do) You’re paying for a service, and for the $5 a month which allows 4 people to use it, it’s value for money.

The subscriptions on software doesn’t just pay for new features, it pays for hosting and support too.

1 Like

I use Bitwarden too. It’s cheaper than 1PW, but it also comes with certain weaknesses. For instance, you can’t use it to store software licenses. To delete an item, you must first modify it and then delete it. And you can’t delete more than one item at a time. Aside from these little annoyances, it’s a good password manager.

Yup. I’ve switched to Bitwarden too for the new year. There’s no dedicated area for software licenses, but you can still store them as general entries and the subscription is a third of 1P and then you can add attachments too. It was worth a try. 1Password got too greedy for what it is IMO.

This is my opinion; it’s absolutely not intended as a comment on anything else that anyone has written here.

Good software is worth paying for. That goes double for security software and triple for software that makes use of cryptography.

That being said, I really, really, really dislike software subscriptions especially for something like a password manager. Thankfully 1Password still has a way to buy their software outright. As long as they keep that option, I will continue to recommend its use.

I would happily pay full price to upgrade major versions. Heck, I’d donate the subscription cost if there were a mechanism to do so. I am, however, fundamentally opposed to renting my password manager. I’ve said it elsewhere: I favour the Xojo model where buying a license gets you a years worth of updates that work forever.

(This probably isn’t the place to go into why I’m so opposed to subscriptions for password managers, so I’ll just note that I’m aware of 1Password’s stated policy of not ever locking you out of your vault, even if your subscription lapses.)

2 Likes

I think that if they have master password, they still need the strings I use to label each website and also the strings I use to denote a login identity. They also need to know how long each password is and which character set is used and what value I set for the counter on each site. In the meantime, I will change the master password, but the term master is misleading, as no one said I had to use one that is applied to all.

Theres one in development but in the meantime, you can use the website to generate the code. Though I just wrote a Swift app that I use on my iPad to generate them, but Im wondering if it might be a better idea to create a share sheet macro with either Scriptable or Pythonista.

What features are you missing?

A big advantage of 1Password: it also has a Windows client.

2 Likes

Update on my previous post: I’ve now moved over to Bitwarden, and have been impressed so far. Only niggles I have are that I can’t seem to get the keyboard shortcuts to work on the Mac, and I’m having trouble getting the iPad app to auto-fill passwords. (I’m in contact with Bitwarden’s support team about that.)

I’m still a 1P for Families user, under the Eero bundle offering, but I am frustrated with their unwillingness to make one simple UI change - default field values. I’ve asked, and they have done nothing.

If you use the vault for software licenses, and you have a lot of them then re-entering email, user name, address, etc is more than annoying when TextExpander is also disabled.

Damn good point… Now I’m wondering about this too.

1 Like