June 2020 Sales and Hardware/Software/etc. Deals

MacBook Air is on sale $100 off on Amazon right now. Very tempting…

With all the talk of ARM Macs it might be time to ditch Virtual Machines and buy a PC. Microsoft Remote Desktop on Mac and Screens on IOS both work great. I’ve seen HP refurbs for as little as $120 in recent days.

Default Folder X has been added to the Setapp subscription.

I have one of these, cost me AUD 179 as I recall, & I’m tempted to buy another. I love having a portable battery for my MacBook.

One more thing on SnipNotes, the iOS app is also 33% off at the moment.
The free trial is 7 days.

There’s a new Mac bundle on sale called the Back on Track bundle, featuring Unclutter (which I love), Klokki, Squash 2, Rocket Typist, uBar 4, Captor’s, Boom 3D, Pagico 9, Luminar 4, and Prizmo 4.

You can get an individual app for 50% off (except Luminar–that’s only 25% off by itself) or get all the apps in the bundle for 80% off.

I definitely recommend Unclutter. I’ve heard good things about Rocket Typist as a simple alternative to TextExpander. I have mixed feelings on Boom 3D but others love it; Capto I haven’t used but have heard is good, and Prizmo 4 is excellent.

2 Likes

Hey folks - Summerfest is back. Lots of great apps on sale, including Tinderbox, DEVONthink 3, HoudahSpot, HoudahGeo and more!

3 Likes

Take Control Books

is participating in Summerfest too.
30% off with code summerfest2020

https://www.takecontrolbooks.com/catalog/

Ouch I bought recently and missed out discount

Fledgling 20%-off sale

Fledgling has a sale, code is JUNESAVE20
They sell SSD upgrades for Apple computers, external enclosures, etc.

https://fledging.net/

A “gotcha” with using Remote Desktop to access a Windows computer is that that computer must be running the Pro and not the Home version of the software. So add, I guess, another $150 to the cost?

My plan here is to take an old Mac mini (I’ve got several), max it out, and use it to run old 32-bit Mac software and a Windows VM. Access the Mac with Screen Sharing and the VM with Remote Desktop. I’ve successfully done this before so I know it works.

1 Like

Duh, that never occurred to me. I had an IBM 8088 but never owned a Windows PC. Always used company equipment.

Are you using a non-Catalina OS to run 32 bit software? How are you running a Windows VM (vmware, parallels, something else)?

I’ll certainly be running pre-Catalina on the old Minis! The Windows VMs I run under Parallels. The RAM and SSDs are due to arrive later this week.

Pagico 9

In addition to @MarkDMill’s comment above, Pagico is 20% off.

https://pagico.com/store/

[MacOS] Color Folder Master: One-click change folder colour, is free from $4.99.

3 Likes

Nice thing about this Color Folder Master is that once you have set up the color, you don’t need the app to be running for it to be in effect.

1 Like

I was so excited to hear about this but I just tried it and misunderstood what it could do. Although it does what it says, what I was hoping for is that it would color folder icons like what I have on my desktop.

I keep 3 folders on my desktop that I use frequently. Does anyone know how I can color-code those?

It does do that, it’s just an automated version of pasting in a graphic in the Get Info pane of a given file/folder.

It’s a decent app, I downloaded it the other day. I have many similar apps I grabbed when free from the MAS, like Foldery, FolderMarker, FolderMarker Emoji, Folder Library. Some color standard, some offer custom icons

3 Likes

Yes, Mac supports copy and paste an icon to any folder, although I think FolderMarker does a better job because you can adjust the icon size.

1 Like