Keep It (From reinvented software)

I’ve been using EagleFiler (Mac-only) for archiving emails, and right now it’s my KeepIt/DevonThink alternative. But the other main Mac/iOS KeepIt alternative, Notebooks, also lets you save emails. It also lets you sync to WebDAV servers and you can get right into some services like FastMail directly from the app.

If you’re using Mail on macOS, you can drag’n’drop into Keep It. If you’re using MailMate, you can Right-click > “Show In Finder”, then drag the EML into Keep It.

I use this all the time and it works wonderfully. :blush:

I wish there was a way on iOS.

1 Like

Yea, I’ve given up managing email on iOS. I flag stuff I want to take action on later and just push it to task manager, Keep It, etc… when I get to my laptop. :man_shrugging:t2:

Ok… sadly, at least for me, Keep It seems to still have problems syncing as I try to use it more. The app seems to just hang.

Going to try DT again.

A few months ago the developer of Notebooks posted on this forum and said, “We started implementing and experimenting with iCloud sync a couple of years ago, but the user experience is not at all what we want. When syncing huge hierarchies of documents, you have no idea about the progress, the process may even stall and maybe continue, or not. Sometimes iCloud thinks that a book/folder has disappeared, so that book disappears from Notebooks as well, just to reappear a few moments or minutes later (the same can happen in Apple’s Calendar, by the way, and even when syncing folders between two Macs via iCloud). This is not the type of sync we want in Notebooks.”

Sadly, this is not the first time I’ve heard this about iCloud sync, and it explains why some apps choose to sync with Dropbox over iCloud. It’s too bad that Keep It does not offer altrernative cloud-sync options.

1 Like

Deleted and reinstalled and it fixed the issue. For now. Might check out notebooks. I have the app but haven’t used it extensively

I tried Keep It again this past week based on the comments in this discussion.

Syncing was still a complete nightmare.

I’m sticking with DT3.

What are you using to sync? Dropbox or iCloud?

iCloud. I don’t believe it is possible to sync with Dropbox.

I had some sync issues that the developer was able to solve over the course of a few days. I use it to store academic literature (2600 items) and it is a great app. I am glad I haven’t yet had to abandon it.

Tagging on to the end of an old thread… I am giving Keep It a try but am frustrated by one item greatly—and this could just be user error—I can’t figure out a way to save a webpage or even a pdf of a webpage that is beyond an account firewall, i.e. WSJ or New York Times. When it try’s to save the web archive or pdf it simple gets stuck at the login page for the website/account and I get the header with an invitation to login.

Am I trying to do something that just can’t be done or am I missing some procedure or workaround of some sort??

Thanks…

I think once you are behind a login, the best thing to do is File » Save As… and save it as a .webarchive, or File » Print and save as a PDF, and then import that into Keep It.

1 Like

Be interested to hear how folks are getting on… I’ve tried Bear, and Keep It - & think I’m going to return to Evernote - for ease of getting stuff into it - email, PDFs for example.
Here’s today’s dilemma. Writing up some notes from a conference talk. There are links in it & a pdf I’ve read which I’d like to keep in the note. No obvious way to do this. Drag & drop just links to the folder it’s currently in (downloads). Look at the support pages. Download the script. Run the script. Pdf saves in a different note to the one I’m working in. In Evernote I’d just drag the file into the note & it’s all together.
The disadvantage of Evernote is that it’s not easily transferable - I’m a doctor & I have to upload my learning records to an online system - a single text file - easy. Evernote notebook, not so much fun!
Am I missing something? An easy place to find help, for e.g.? An obvious simple solution to the PDF problem?

I used Keep It for about a week and loved it. That was mostly on the iPad. When I was back to mostly working on the Mac, I noticed the Mac was freezing up once or twice a day. Even the clock stopped keeping time. I had to cycle the power to resume using it.

This problem started when I started using Keep It. It stopped when I stopped using Keep It. The developer did not respond to several support emails, on this and one or two other relatively minor unrelated issues.

Now I’m using Bear and loving it for many reasons, but I fear I may be up against the limit of its ability to, as you say, get stuff in. I fear that DevonThink may draw me back in with its gravitational pull.

@tatters have you tried exporting Evernote to HTML? That seems like a universal document format that would futureproof and make documents multi-platform compatible. Or how about just cutting and pasting? (Should I call you “Doctor @tatters”?)

Now that you mention it, I had the same experience with the developer.

1 Like

Just because I tried Keep It again after a software update, the previous sync issues have seemed to be fixed now.

1 Like

That is too bad. I have always found him very responsive and helpful.

As far as I can tell, I have always responded to @tjluoma’s messages: last I received for Keep It was a feature request on Oct 30, 2018, but we also exchanged further messages about my other app, Feeder in 2019. I can only see one message from @MitchWagner on Oct 18, 2019, and I responded to that the same day.

2 Likes

Just as an FYI Steve, I sent you two emails via the support address ; one at the end of Nov 2019 and then again in early December. Neither received a response.
I’ve moved on so not relevant anymore…