Keyboard Maestro V9 RELEASED!

I want to play with the Streamdeck actions. I also want to play with OCR. And that’s just the 2 items I remember… :slight_smile:

I had never heard of Streamdeck before Keyboard Maestro announced support for it, and now I really, really want one.

3 Likes

I just made the mistake of looking up what they are, too…

1 Like

What does the feature of multiple windows do ?

Does it mean that we can run multiple UI based macros at the same time ?

Here’s a link for those curious about Stream Deck.

Aaaaaaand here’s the one that I ordered:

32 customizable buttons?! This is like Keyboard-Maestro-nerd Christmas!

3 Likes

I’d expect nothing less from you.

2 Likes

Now I’m eyeing the 6 button model and wondering if I can convince work to pay for it!

1 Like

There doesn’t seem to be any reason why I can’t get the same functionality by attaching my old, old iPad to my computer.

Surely all I need is the right app. Does anyone know which app that is, because if so I have an iPad Mini I want to repurpose?

Edit: I’m only thinking about the StreamDeck’s functionality as a KM trigger, not its original purpose

Edit 2: I’ll start a new thread about this

Gang,

The existing Keyboard Maestro Field Guide is hardly obsolete. That being said, I’m outlining the next update (which will be free) and include the V9 features. Neck deep in Shortcuts right now. This one is next.

14 Likes

Went the same way, hanging out for it to arrive from New Zealand (cheapest I could find)

Go for the 15. I have both.

But see blog post again:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/MartinPacker/entry/Buttoned_Up?lang=en

2 Likes

Saw this tweet from @tjluoma: https://twitter.com/tjluoma/status/1161265513235980288

Does anyone know how this “Time saved” is calculated?

(for me it’s 25 days)

1 Like

It’s a loose estimate, not really scientific. Peter (the developer of Keyboard Maestro) comments on it here:

5 Likes

it says detachable USB-C to USB-A cable… so, is it USB-A at the other end, meaning MacBook Pro users are shit out of luck? :frowning:

I’m assuming that it’s a USB-C connection on the device end and USB-A on the host (Mac), so you’d just have to find a USB-C to USB-C cable for a newer Mac.

I’ll post specifics when mine arrives later today :slight_smile:

1 Like

We are all waiting on the edge of our seats!

1 Like

So… the Stream Deck XL does have a USB-C connector on itself, which means that it assumes the other end of the cable is going into a “regular” USB-A plug.

Since I have a plethora of USB-C-to-USB-C cables, I tried just using one of those to plug in the Stream Deck XL to my Mac.

It did not work.

When I used the original cable and used my USB-A-to-USB-C adapter, then it worked fine.

I’m not sure what’s going on, however, I have a suspicion / guess: I think that the cable that comes with the Stream Deck XL is not just an ordinary cable. I think it might even be a Thunderbolt cable, which can use the same USB-C connector. My reason for thinking this is that the original cable that came with the Stream Deck XL is much heavier/thicker than all of my other USB-C cables.

I have reached out to Elgato support on Twitter and through their support desk to see if I can get a clear answer on this (hopefully there’s a USB-C-only solution available, but, for the time being, it’s dongle-town.

Update:

Here is the response I received from their tech support (edited for length and clarity):

Not all USB type C cables work at USB 3.0 speeds; it is quite possible that the cable you picked up is one of the ones that does not. For example, the cable Apple provides with some of their products only work at USB 2 speeds.

While we haven’t tested this cable with the Elgato Stream Deck XL, we have tested it with the Elgato Game Capture HD60 S and it worked with that: https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-USB-IF-Certified-USB-C-Cable/dp/B00WJSPCSG

We’ve also had a customer report that this cable worked well for them with the Elgato Game Capture HD60 S: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6lxWgbVoAAK-H8.jpg

The key thing to look for is a cable that is capable of up to 10 Gbps of data.

Unfortunately the item they link to on Amazon is out-of-stock, but an Amazon search of “USB-C 10gbps” led to several results, including

[Intel Certified] Anker Thunderbolt 3.0 Cable (USB-C to USB-C) Supports 100W Charging / 40Gbps Data Transfer (Compatible with USB 3.1 Gen 1 and 2), Perfect for Type-C Macbooks - 1.6 ft

which does confirm my earlier suspicion that what is needed is a “Thunderbolt” cable.

Now that I’m looking at these, I remember Federico Viticci talking about trying to find cables that were “USB 3.1 Gen 2” compatible (gawd what a stupid name).

There’s also

TIEGEM USB Type C 3.1 Gen 2 Cable (100W/10Gbps) USB C to USB-C Cable USB-IF TID Interface Type-C PD Cable E-Marker Power Delivery Wire for MacBook Pro Galaxy S9 S9 Plus OnePlus 6 (Red, 6.6ft): Gateway

which is:

• $11 for 3.3 foot (that’s “1 meter” to you folks outside the USA) or
  • $12 for 6.6’ / 2 meter.

and it comes in red or black.

The Anker one is $30 for 1.6 ft / 0.5 meter, but only comes in black. I’m considering getting the red one, just to make it easier to spot as different from all my other “USB-C” cables, although I’m tempted to buy the Anker one, mostly because of their reputation. Fakespot’s adjusted review of TIEGEM only ranks it as ★★★☆☆ vs Fakespot on the Anker is ★★★★☆

The difference in “feel” (mostly thickness) of the “Thunderbolt” cable is immediately noticeable, but that doesn’t help when fishing around your laptop bag for a cable. On the other hand, it’s not like I’m going to be bringing the Stream Deck with me places… it’s most likely going to sit on my desk, so I probably won’t need a cable that I can differentiate easily, because it will always be attached to the Stream Deck anyway.

At least initially I’m just going to use the cable that came with it, attached to the USB-A-to-C adapter that I already have. If I need/want a USB-C-to-USB-C/Thunderbolt cable, I’ll buy one then.

Anyway, I hope this info will be useful to others. Going to x-post this to the Keyboard Maestro forum now.

4 Likes

The $18 upgrade is available if you purchased Keyboard Maestro 8.

The way I structure my upgrades is:

• If you purchased the previous version recently (in this case, back to 1 February 2019), then you receive a free upgrade - no one wants to have to pay again for something they bought a month ago.
  • Otherwise, the upgrade fee is $25, except:
  • If you purchased the previous version, then for a short time (in this case, until 8 October 2019) you can upgrade at the discounted price of $18. This is especially to reward those loyal customers who purchase an upgrade promptly after release each major upgrade.

If you did actually purchase version 8, then please let me know (support@stairways.com) the details of your purchase - sometimes people have more than one email address in our system and so there can be confusion caused by that.

I feel this upgrade process gives the best balance for all my customers, ensuring I am working in their interests, and they are supporting me in doing so. I have no desires to make changes to this system, which I think has served my customers, Keyboard Maestro and myself well for a long time (indeed this process has been in place since, I believe, version 3 (which was the first major upgrade that I did, after releasing version 2 after acquiring it from Michael in 2004)).

4 Likes