Mac Power Users 436: MPU+: These Things Are Like Tribbles

Star Wars, Star Trek, what’s the difference?

:joy:

Just kidding.

Happy to see the move away from Facebook! Now I’m just sitting here hitting CMD + R on the cottonbureau.com website.

1 Like

Excited to be back, since I left due to Facebook…

1 Like

Katie Floyd does of course! :grimacing:

2 Likes

Just want to jump in and say how shocked I am that not only did Katie get a HomePod, but she TRIPLED-DOWN and is part of the multi-HP crowd :smile:

I haven’t really wanted one with all the negative press they’ve gotten, but I know Katie doesn’t take her purchasing decisions lightly so this has me rethinking my decision to sit out, ha ha!

8 Likes

The goodies are available! I linked them in this announcement post to make it easy for everyone to find them :slight_smile:

So the new Free Agents co-host is Casey Liss right? That’s going to be awesome.

1 Like

Has he been on MPU? If so, that’s a good guess. I was thinking Andy Ihnatko

@JWoolard I guess you’re right - Casey just went “rogue” a few weeks ago.

Hey @katiefloyd . I’m so happy for you and the triple home pod life! You’re competing with @MacSparky multi iPad life! It was my favorite part of the show! Hahaha. You made my week!

2 Likes

I’m very happy with the move from Facebook and looking forward to participating in the MPU community.

1 Like

Curious about Apple’s end-to-end encryption of messages referenced in cloud storage. Are they safe from the NSA? See recent Intercept article – https://theintercept.com/2018/06/25/att-internet-nsa-spy-hubs/

Re what we’re calling parcels of stuff made in Shortcuts: I think definitely “workflows.” I think Shortcuts is a worse name for the App than was Workflows (less attractive, less accurate), but if does at least have the advantage of creating a vocabulary in which the App and the things in the App are distinct. So one vote for creating “Workflows” in “Shortcuts” rather than creating “Shortcuts” in “Shortcuts.”

Curse you David, 10 more dollars to my MPU budget on Home Design 3D

Super great suggestion though, I’ve needed something a bit more user friendly and feature rich than MagicPlan which is getting dated

1 Like

New community member here. Thanks so much for moving to Discourse! Previously I’d felt a little left out. One huge Discourse feature, for me, is its excellent activity summary emails it sends every couple weeks.

I can’t wait to start leaving my inane feedback on episodes. For this one, I’ll just say that three Homepods is a great idea. I am waiting for the rumored small Beats branded version to buy my third for my bedroom, though.

1 Like

Actually … it was ended up @mikeschmitz. Check out the latest episode with Mike.

3 Likes

I couldn’t believe @katiefloyd got three either! Out of nowhere! However, I actually really do love my HomePod. I was definitely someone who didn’t want to go with any of their other assistants because I love music and didn’t want to buy a bad speaker. I actually use the Siri features a decent amount (although, I do want them to catch up with the other assistants), and I looooove how good it sounds. Plus, being able to ask Siri to play anything I want is amazing. I very often ask it to “play me something I would like” and then I have an instant, great playlist. It’s a little expensive, but I have been super happy with it. However, I only have one!

1 Like

I came over from Facebook, have to say that this place works much better as a more ‘traditional’ forum than as a Facebook group! The various categories and threads makes information much easier to find and therefore I’m able to participate more!

3 Likes

The best line of this episode included the name “Barry Manilow”!

3 Likes

I like the post by https://talk.macpowerusers.com/u/jwoolard using the word Rouge. I think all the hosts should have an alias as Rouge depending on the the time they actually left the man. The first should be Rouge One…and so on​:sunglasses::grinning::sunglasses: