Mac Power Users 446: MPU+: Are You Going to Go Big?

My number one calble tool is duct tape, cable ties are great for if your setup is stable, but I find that every few months I end up rearranging my office for one reason or another and have to redo my cables.

The tape is useful as itā€™s plentiful and cheap, I use it to tape some power boards to hang under the lip of my desk or to secure a spool or cat5 to the back of the tv or to just beaten out cable runs.

I also find value in electrical tape, I keep a big tub with all my spare cables thrown in it, they are all wrapped up in loops and held in place by some electrical tape.

Good episode, and canā€™t wait for the reactions to the September event. But, Katie and Davidā€™s rumor discussion was so spot on in regards to the iPhones, but way off on the iPads. How did they miss the rumors pointing to lack of a notch? I doubt we will see a notched iPad. https://apple.news/AeVEpt0VfRWGVnT13p5YABg

2 Likes

Iā€™m definitely going to go big - being a 7+ and 6S+ owner. I would always crave more real estate. It will be interesting to compare this to my (now unused) iPad Mini 1.

I used to carry the iPad Mini in a coat pocket - weather permitting. :slight_smile: Being a guy my jeans pockets should still hold a mythical Excess Plus (or Tennis Plus). :slight_smile:

Yes I am definitely going back to a plus size phone. After going from a 6plus then 7 plus to a X, I regret it. Even though itā€™s a great phone itā€™s still too small for my big hands. Plus I spend a lot of time watching YouTube, and nothing is the matching wide screen aspect ratio of the iPhone X.

One house we had our router and switch in a 1/2 height relay rack wall mounted in the basement. And I ran Ethernet to all rooms and most rooms got 2-3 to places like behind the tv and to my desk. Also ran 2 lines to closets for wireless access points on the top shelf, one on each end of the house.

Iā€™m lucky that I work in Telecommunications and have the tools.

Also every desk I have have a power strip mounted to the underside. Also at least one of those cable management racks from Ikea under each desk.

1 Like

My experience with iPhones is that you never really appreciate the benefit of going big until you do. Most people I know that went form non-plus sized iPhone to a plus sized iPhone stick with the plus.

I think a more relevant question for my case if I end up upgrading from my 7+ or not. To me the upgrade path is clear, the decision to upgrade is not.

Yeah I REALLY cannot see them making a notched iPad. Iā€™d place a lot of money on no notch. I think the UI changes to the status bar in iOS 12 on iPad point to a general aesthetic unification (though non-X iPhones conspicuously still have time in the middle of the status barā€¦), not a forced change due to a notch. A notch on an iPad, which is so frequently moved between landscape and portrait, would be pretty difficult for developers to work around (we saw the struggles with the iPhone X) and would be far more intrusive for users than the notch on the iPhone X.

I agree that itā€™s unlikely weā€™ll see a notch on the new iPad Pros (and as @justinbradleysc said, the more recent rumors are sans notch).

While the notch gets all the rumors and attention, I havenā€™t seen many people talking about the other big iPhone X display change thatā€™s going to mean a lot of work for developers if it comes to the iPad: rounded corners. I think these are much more likely to show up on the new iPads than a notch is, and if they do, developers will have to do a bunch of work accommodating the safe area in their iPad apps the way they did with the iPhone X last year.

1 Like

One thing I noted. The invitation says ā€œLetā€™s Gather Roundā€

We know that Apple usually uses the invitation as a subtle hint. What could be ā€œroundā€?

My first impression when seeing the invite is that itā€™s a hint for a circular shaped watch.

2 Likes

Quick note - reusable cable ties are a thing. They have a little latch that lifts up and then they can be undone. Agreed that a proper dedicated cutter is the best way to cut them, and better than a general purpose multi-tool.

Having gone from a 5S to a 7+ and loved it, Iā€™ve always thought the current X was too small. The discussions on the show didnā€™t seem to factor in the aspect ratio of the X and the new phones, which is different to the prior models.

I will be interested in how much cheaper the ā€˜low endā€™ (6.1"?) phone is to the larger Oled phone and whether people alight on that as the sweet spot for value for money.

I am going to ā€˜haveā€™ to upgrade because my wife wants my 7S. Iā€™m a little concerned with face detect, touch on the 7S has been flawless (and can be used in the car) and I think I will miss it.

That looks like a European one. Is there a UK one?

I bought my parents one for Christmas a few years ago, they love it!

2 Likes

Re: cable ties. Where I work, they order 6ā€ Velcro cable ties in a big spool, all stuck end to end so you can grab what you need. They wrap around so nothing sticks out, itā€™s a great design.

It was a bit of a special case but it went like this. I had some lab equipment that I had to fix together temporarily but firmly and then carry it around the building for testing. It did not have to be tidy. At first I used normal cable ties but there was no slack in the cable ties so they were hard to cut through because you couldnā€™t get an angle for the cutters. So I used the reusable kind with the latch. Eventually the equipment had its day in the sun at a remote site and had to be attached properly, but still taken apart at the end of the day to pack up and fly home. For this I used normal single use cable ties. I went out to buy cutters and was persuaded to get a Leatherman Wave. It turns out this is a perfect multitool for most things but hopeless for tight cable ties. I had to go back to the store for a $10 cable tie cutter. For cables I just use velcro straps.

Nope. Not going big. Still like me iPhone SE.

As for cables, never never tape them. Tape gets yucky over time and leaves residue on cables, desks, everything. There are many better solutions.

Flat network cables are junk just read the specks of Ethernet cable and why the pairs are twisted and arranged in a very specific manner to minimize interference between the wires. Flat network cables defeat all thatā€¦

On the ā€œreusing cut cable ties is impossibleā€ point, I disagree. It might not be perfect but youā€™d naturally cut them to varying lengths and reuse the nearest fit one.

The wire pairs are still twisted in a flat cable. As long as the flat cable meets the TIA/EIA spec, itā€™s fine to use in place of a cable with a circular jacket.

1 Like

There are reasons, When Setting Up An Enterprise Office Network, Flat CAT6 Ethernet Cable are rarely seem or applied in such a Network Space. Why? Have a Thought!