Mac Power Users 478: Journaling with Day One

1 Like

II tired to reign in the hippy stuff but in the end, I may have been the biggest supplier of it.

4 Likes

Last week we had a wild animal attack in the Californianā€™s back yard, and this week we had hippie talk from the Tennessean.

MPU is definitely all about flipping your expectations!

As for journaling with Day Oneā€¦

Iā€™ve been keeping a daily journal for the past couple of weeks, and Day One really is good at its job. My only wish is for more keyboard shortcuts on the iPad, but thatā€™s true of just about every iPad app right now. The sync seems to be really fast and reliable so far, and I really like being able to drop pictures into entries a lot more than I thought I would.

I thought David and Stephen did a good job talking about the transition to subscription, which I donā€™t think anyone would argue that Day One did not handle well. But thatā€™s mostly behind us now, and the question is: do they keep adding enough features or providing enough of a service to make a subscription worth the price?

Iā€™m on the ā€œgrand-fatheredā€ plan, which is plenty for me, although Iā€™ll miss some of the newer features (light/dark mode, for sure) when they are subscription-only. Frankly, Iā€™m not sure itā€™d be worth ~$3/month for me to use Day One (right now Iā€™ve really only got one journal). That said, Iā€™d hate to see Day One go away, because I donā€™t think thereā€™s another app that qualifies as a ā€œclose secondā€ by a long shot.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been using Drafts + Shortcuts + DEVONthink To Go for the past couple of years now for my journaling. I have been able to get quite a bit of the metadata stuff working in conjunction with Shortcuts, so there isnā€™t anything I need from Day One for my use case (though I wonā€™t fault anyone for using it).

This reminds me: I need to go write this up so I can share it. Iā€™ll post it here when I get it done.

4 Likes

@MacSparky mentioned the Field Notes notebooks he carries in his pocket falling apart. I ran into the same problem, my solution was to switch to the Field Notes Expedition. Itā€™s far, far more durable than the kraft paper they use in their regular notebooks.

One note of caution though: David mentioned tearing pages out and giving them to people. The paper in the Expedition is durable enough that wouldnā€™t be an option.

What is this business about Hippie stuff. I cringe each time I hear it. I think 1960ā€™s ā€¦ I was adult alive so I carry images from then.

Nobody has accused me of being up to date. What is the current definition and why the seeming embarrassment?

1 Like

Great episode. Iā€™m really looking forward to the third installment of the journaling trilogy on Focused.

I really enjoyed this episode, Iā€™m just happy to see other dudes who journal. I honestly didnā€™t start sooner because it felt to ā€œgirlyā€ and not ā€œMANā€ enough. I used to work with other guys who would laugh at other men who kept a journal. Iā€™ve since seen the light and the only thing I regret is not starting sooner.

Iā€™m the type who rather use something simple and futureproof so count me out of Day One. Iā€™ve seen far too many companies disappear and my biggest fear is losing all the notes Iā€™ve collected. I do an average of 10k words a week and itā€™s a tool that Iā€™ve come to depend on for my business.

I even tried to use TextEdit because itā€™s built in and the RTF format wonā€™t be going away anytime soon. I had to stop using it because for some reason Spotlight or Windows Search canā€™t read an RTF file if it has images in it. Itā€™s the craziest thing ever. One single image and Spotlight says it never existed.

So I end up using Bear Notes and exporting to PDF because Spotlight has no issue reading and indexing those.

Iā€™ve also developed a way for me to link my notes to other notes in a future-proof way, as long as you have a way to search text it will always work. It also allows me to link things not in my notes like files on my computer just by putting a timestamp in the ā€œcommentsā€ in the get info on MacOS files. If I need to refer back to a point in my journal I say ā€œsearch forā€¦ whatever the time stamp isā€ and it not only takes me to that entry but also the exact spot in that entry. This has been so vital for me in my business as I test things out and need to refer back to the original test in my current weekā€™s journal entry.

Iā€™m very interested in @MacSparkyā€™s current state of voice dictation. Iā€™ve become quite comfortable dictating short emails and messages on my phone, and it occurs to me that Iā€™m ready to take the next big step.

I donā€™t think this type of dictation is common, though it has become VERY routine for me; I am as comfortable and unthinking with it as I am writing in some other way. I was at a conference recently waiting for a meeting to start so I pulled out my phone and started reviewing email. I saw one that required an immediate response, so I tapped the microphone button on the keyboard, held the phone close to my mouth and started talking, like I have done a million times before. When was done, I saw a colleague look at me bewildered, as though Iā€™d had cats jump out of my ears.

@ecophoscys Day One exports to PDF. Best of both worlds!

PS I thumb typed most of this message, but I dictated the last paragraph and this one.

@ecophoscys Out of curiosity, why did you write off Day One if you export to a PDF anyway? A portion of this show specifically addressed the ease of getting your information out of Day Oneā€¦either if they shut down or on a regular basis.

Seems like youā€™re cutting yourself off from an app with great functionality, but the example you cite is supported by that app?

How do you handle location data with your setup? Thatā€™s one of the things I really like about day one; I use it as a location check in for myself. Candidly, thatā€™s probably my primary use for it.

Loved it! The ā€˜Thoughts Onā€™ diaries is a really cool idea.

I really enjoyed this episode - itā€™s clarified a lot of my thinking about journaling.

Iā€™ve used Day One since around 2011 and am a semi-consistent with it. Their subscription model did make me question whether Iā€™m using the correct tool - yet another subscription.

Also, very similar to @ecophoscys, the future-proof issue is my major concern. I want something that I know for sure will be available in 20 + years time.
I was about to go with this (inspired / copied from @nahumck - https://nahumck.me/rolling-your-own/)

1. Write the journal entry in Drafts
  2. Have images ā€˜hostedā€™ in Dropbox
  3. Use Shortcuts to get the days details such as weather and location
  4. Save the Drafts entry as a PDF and store in folders within iCloud Drive
  5. Save a backup entry saved as a txt file in iCloud Drive

I really liked this set up - the end-game of having the PDF entry saved in a folder structure along with tags made a lot of sense to me. In 20 + years time, everything is where it should be.

To go all in on this I would have to export 1500 Day One entries into iCloud folders and give up the Day One features I canā€™t replicate elsewhere - this episode reminded me of those (end-to-end encryption is a big advantage Day One has). As @HobbyCollector points out, Day One is already future-proofed with the PDF export option.
So for now, I stick with Day One.

I guess the purpose of journaling is very individual - for me, itā€™s as much about clearing my mind as it is having an archive of entries to reflect on in years to come. So for that purpose, the tool actually isnā€™t where the value is, itā€™s the process of journaling which is. This episode taught me I was thinking too much how I journal rather than why I journal.

Thanks to @MacSparky and @ismh for a great episode.

Stephen Hackettā€™s idea to scan his Field Notes notebooks interested me. Instead of using a scanner though, I thought using ScannerPro or Office Lens might be quicker and does OCR (provided my writing is clean enoughā€¦).

Anyone have ideas/hacks on how to keep a Field Notes sized notebook open to the pages your photographing? Two pages at a time (left side, right side) are fine vs individual pages.

Thank you!

I manually trigger a shortcut which adds it. Iā€™ll be posting about this soon, and it will have the shortcut available.

1 Like

The biggest reason I donā€™t use Day One is that they only allow 30 pictures per entry. That is not enough for me. I take a lot of screenshots for work along with other pictures and I can far out exceed 30 in one entry. My last entry was over 150 images with over 10k words, Day One canā€™t handle it.

Another reason is the price; Bear Notes is half of Day One.

1 Like

I wanted to share an issue and solution I just ran found with photos in Day One. Iā€™ve been using an IFTTT to grab the latest photo from my camera roll and add it as an entry but it recently stopped working. After a long search for a solution I found out that Day One doesnā€™t support HEIC images.

I just upgraded from an iPhone 7 to an XR which uses HEIC as the default format. Turning off HEIC solved the Day One problem. Iā€™m wondering though if thereā€™s a way to still shoot HEIC and have a Siri Shortcut that will look for my latest photos, convert to JPG, create the Day One entry and delete the JPGs?

Iā€™m not good enough at shortcuts to create one that will do this so if anyone has a suggestion on creating it or point me in the right direction Iā€™d love to learn more.

Thanks for all the great feedback on this episode. As we finished the recording, I thought to myself, ā€œWent way too hippy there.ā€ Glad you got something out of it.

5 Likes

Going to try and get this written up at MacSparky this week.

2 Likes

Excellent!

Was talking about just this subject with a friend today. Heā€™s all in on dragon and says it was never any good on the Mac compared with the PC version. He runs Windows in Parallels on his Mac just so he can use Dragon on Windows. He says he barely even types anymore ā€“ writes, edits and controls the PC all using Dragon!

It occurred to me that the first big hurdle a person needs to clear in using dictation is training oneā€™s self to speak in complete sentences and paragraphs. Mostly we donā€™t do that when speaking; if you look at a transcript of actual spoken conversation, itā€™s a big load of run-on sentences and sentence fragments. So speaking in sentences and paragraphs is an unnatural act for most people. I believe I have trained myself to do that without conscious effort just by dictating emails and messages on the iPhone.

Also, I loved this column by Farhad Manjoo. Mind. Blown.

2 Likes