Mac Power Users 478: Journaling with Day One

I’ve got a bit of a podcast backlog at the moment, but definitely looking forward to this one. Not a Day One user (I’m happy with automatically-generated markdown files), but always keen to review and upgrade my journalling methods. Reflecting on what we learn throughout life and what we’re thankful for is such a valuable experience.

1 Like

Does anyone keep a food journal, on day one?

Yup. One post a day with timestamped entries.

I’ve been a Day One user since… day one, really.

However, much as I love the experience of journaling on my iPad there is one dilemma I can’t quite resolve.

I rarely have the time to journal at the end of a day and usually catch up the following morning, but I am then in two minds about whether I should change the date to the previous evening or just let it ride. My concern is that with the latter, whenever I read back at old entries they are always a day old, so it’s not really ‘one year ago today’ etc.

What does everyone else do with regards dating their entries?

Maybe you should start journaling in the morning :nerd_face:

1 Like

I used to use field notes notebooks but then I found these: https://www.jetpens.com/Maruman-Mnemosyne-N192A-Memo-Pad-Twin-Ring-Modified-B7-5-mm-Rule/pd/11412. They are much more durable and easy to write on because they have a solid plastic cover and flip back on themselves. I’ve carried one around in my back pocket for months without it wearing out.

I’d like to know more about your use of shortcuts and DEVONThink. Day One and other on-line things are a non-starter for me but I am trying to implement more journaling into my life right now. Currently flipping between using Scrivener and using DEVONThink.

Seeing this podcast hit my feed has made me restart using Day One again. I have used it off and on for 18 months now and when I use it I love it I can’t make a habit of it. I have liked the few times a on this day hits and its actually a memory that I’ve decided to use it as a way to remember specific photos along with what it is/memory that’s associated it with it.

One of my dogs was just diagnosed with cancer and we realized that our time with him is now limited. I’m going to try and make a backlog of these pictures so that even when he passes I’ll get periodic reminders of him.

You should then also check out the podcast put out by Day One:

2 Likes

Tried Day One and went back to pen&paper.

It is something I have never thought about doing. However, it seems like a decent idea.

I had a chance to catch up on the MPU podcasts on todays drive.

Hi @MacSparky I heard on a recent episode (not sure if this one or Focused) that you were considering releasing the original versions of your daily planner? I have been using your PDF version and love it, though there a few items that I just wanted to customise for myself :slight_smile:

Will do. Just cleaning them up. Was hoping to have them posted by now but will make a point of doing so early next week.

No worries, thanks. I printed a few more off for now. Just when you can @MacSparky

Hi @MacSparky, heard you talk about about this on latest Focused episode, did you have a link at all please?

Have you been able to post about your journaling setup or if so, have a missed it in the search, please?

Thanks!

But nothing has happened yet.

I haven’t. Life comes at you fast…

I have a review coming for Drafts with iOS / iPadOS 13. Once that’s done, I’ll be refining my journaling setup and posting about it.

Thanks for keeping me honest! :laughing:

1 Like

Thanks for the info!
Looking forward to the review :grinning:

Wanted to revisit this thread / episode topic now that two things have occurred:

1. Enhansed shortcuts in iOS 13
  2. Native templates which sync in Day One

Have these updates changed the way you journal with Day One?