Mac Power Users 478: Journaling with Day One

Unfortunately not, because the (initial) implementation is lacking:

• You can invoke only 1 template per journal via Shortcuts (I want two: morning/evening)
  • You cannot add tags to a template (but have to add them manually when filling in the template)
1 Like

Thatā€™s disappointing. Hopefully Day One will add this functionality.

A bit late to the party here but listening to the podcast, I remember @MacSparky saying in another podcast that you kept journaling outside of Obsidian.
I struggle a little bit with this issue : Obsidian is my receptacle for my thoughts, wether they come out of the blue or they come out of notes taken from whatever circumstance. Journaling in DayOne kindda achieve about the same thingā€¦
So I guess the question is :

• should I be journaling in Obsidian (I think there are plugins for that). Obvious answer would be ā€œwhatever works for meā€. But what would be the trigger to direct a thought to DayOne instead of Obsidian?
  • If not (which is what I currently do), how do I link the thoughts between both? I can replicate everything from DayOne to Obsidian, but that seems a bit of a waste. Or only thoughts I deem relevant but that goes against the serendipity philosophy of LYTā€¦

Not sure I am very clear hereā€¦ but any hindsight would be appreciated. Many thanks.

I like keeping everything in one place. Also, DayOne has started feeling outdated. The development is slow and they take forever to rollout improvements. Iā€™m happier with journaling in Obsidian and didnā€™t renew my DayOne subscription.

Same for me but using LogSeq instead of Obsidian.

1 Like

Former DayOne fan, now use Appleā€™s Notes and Pages for all of my journaling needs. Tools: iPad mini 6, Apple Pencil 2, Pages, Notes, and LuLu for printing.

I think thereā€™s some unique aspects to my workflow, so Iā€™m sharing it here for those who might be interested.

1. Every day, I jot down ideas, tasks, things Iā€™ve accomplished, areas where Iā€™m stuck, in Appleā€™s Notes w/ Apple Pencil. Sketches are done in Tayasui (iPad).

2. In the evening, I transcribe the handwriting into text, and paste into Appleā€™s Pages. I include sketches and any relevant photos. Every project and all family members are assigned a unique emoticon - to assist in search/find and provide a pinch of levity.

1. At the end of the week, I review the weekly entries, and update any unfinished tasks. I also add footnotes where appropriate.

2. At the end of the year, I export as a PDF and send it to LuLu to be returned as a hard cover book.

Itā€™s an absolute joy to use this system. And I hope that my kids will make good use of these journals when theyā€™re old enough to be curious about their olā€™ man.

4 Likes

Concentrate on driving and safety.

1 Like