Mac Studio and Studio Display reviews

Damnit, I was happy with all the critical reviews, seeing as I haven’t ordered one of these yet…

2 Likes

It’s only money. :dollar: :joy:

2 Likes

It seems like the folks in our community (Gruber, Snell) are generally more positive about the Studio Display than the more general tech press. I guess you need to decide which of those viewpoints best along with how you’ll feel if you bought it.

1 Like

I don’t understand the reviewers who said it couldn’t be removed. According to Jason Snell in his Youtube chat today, and this Youtube video — see 6:20 or so, it can be removed. Snell even said he thought that criticism was plain old bizarre and wrong, and wasn’t sure why those folks said that.

The video never shows it being removed. It’s just an assumption based on looks.

1 Like

Meh, I’m going to see the darn thing in person for myself once its in the Apple Stores. Its really the only way to know if it will be acceptable to you.

LOL, soldered RAM now soldered power cables!

And here’s the software fix for the Studio Display camera…

1 Like

What I don’t understand is why Apple shipped with this issue. I would have thought that QC testing would have uncovered this software bug. It would have certainly avoided bad press on an expensive monitor.

2 Likes

I found the webcam in my iMac Pro to be much better than the Logi Brio, and sent it back. Compression artifacts, ‘soft’ video, etc.

Like the $1000 XDR stand that I was previously taken to task for saying its pricing was ridiculous?

Previous thread:

And that’s why there’s no power cable listed on the website with the display.
I think that’s very short sighted. A power connector wouldn’t cost $1 more, so not sure what their motivation is. Maybe the display is too thin for a proper plug.

According to Gruber, it’s almost twice as thick as the 24” iMac.

By my measurements, the 24-inch iMac display is about 11mm thick. The Studio Display is almost double that thickness: 19mm (~0.75 inches). That’s fine. The Studio Display is thin enough, and the extra thickness is well worth it for everything it provides, particularly the fact that it can charge a connected MacBook at 96 watts without using an external power brick.

Also notable that Jason used the Studio Display webcam in that stream. It looks better than I expected given some of the online reviews (definitely better than the webcam in Dan Moren’s 5K iMac).

Ugh.

At least 20 characters.

2 Likes

Does this guy just not pull on it enough or is Nilay superhumanly strong?

I don’t understand. Maybe it’s a British thing, and in the UK they’re soldered in for some reason? Seems like a weird thing to do.

Edit: I asked Nilay on Twitter how hard he had to yank to remove it. I’ll see if he responds, I guess.

Million (maybe multimillion) dollar question!

1 Like

Ah! The new MagUnsafe™ connector.

4 Likes

Gruber:

Multiple little birdies familiar with the Studio Display, each birdie independent of the others, tell me that the image quality problems really are a software problem, not hardware — a bug introduced at the last minute — and a future software update might not merely somewhat improve image quality, but raise it to a level commensurate with the iPad models equipped with the same camera (the new Air and last year’s Pros), modulo the differences between the M1 and A13 ISPs.

8 Likes

Thank you for flagging this here. This is comforting.

Just got the update for the studio display:

It does not indicate if this should fix the camera issues. but it kinda feels like day one update that tripple A games titles come with on launch day.

I must say… firmware updates for a monitor have never been this seamless

2 Likes