Mac Studio and Studio Display reviews

Note the “15.4”. This monitor is literally running an iOS derivative.

3 Likes

I recommend the Dell MSA20 single monitor arm for a single display, or the MDA20 dual monitor arm for two monitors. Both are provide solid mounting for up to 10 kg (22 lb) monitors, cable management is good, and fit and finish are good.

2 Likes

and yet it moves …(twenty characters::::slight_smile:

This is a good point. My current iMac sits lower than the 4K monitor I have got next to it and therefore I was looking to bring it up and align them with the new set up. Think I will go for the VESA mount and have better control of the height.

2 Likes

Would be cool if the main display could be rotated 90* for people that work in portrait mode. Currently not an option on my iMac Pro.

1 Like

Oh great, we’ll have to run hacked versions of iOS 23 or whatever in the future…

Woah, these Dell monitor arms actually look really nice. Almost make me regret not ordering the VESA mount option. But my desk is not super stable and wiggles a lot while typing, so I’m reticent to mount anything to it.

They posted a video

1 Like

While I’m not in the market for a display, I enjoyed that video. It was informative but lighthearted. Hopefully the camera issue will be resolved with the software update.

2 Likes

the old cinema/Thunderbolt Display had soldered mini-display port / thunderbolt cables. nothing new here.
edit: turns out it is removable, so I’ll say, there would have been nothing new, since IIRC the cables on the back of the old Apple Cinema/Thunderbolt displays were really soldered on.

1 Like

I find the sensationalist takes about the camera quality so funny. Especially that self-important bloke from the Verge, who’s had so many terrible takes over the years. And Stern, who’s made a career out of taking faux-contrarian, faux-populist stances on Apple stuff.

It’s the same hardware that produces very good image quality on iPads. They don’t just flat out lie about something so basic. This isn’t a new tech with unproven durability like, say, the butterfly keyboard. So it’s very obviously a software bug. Any sensible review should say that, rather than amping up the bug to make the headlines.

But hey, these days you get so may clicks for crying that Apple did something “terrible” or “blackberry-like”… so they all say that even though they know we’re talking about an obvious glitch.

3 Likes

Why should they say it’s a bug, when they have no knowledge of the cause or a statement from Apple? Since the M1’s were released I had to return two Mac mini’s and a MBA for out of the box problems. Apple’s a good company but they aren’t perfect.

4 Likes

I’m admittedly no expert, but that’s not how I would have characterized her career. Do you have some examples I can read? I’ve found her pretty reasonable over the years, but perhaps I’m missing it.

2 Likes

Most of her WSJ articles are behind a paywall. But you can find plenty of videos she has made for the WSJ and CNBC, etc. on YouTube if you search for her by name.

Sorry for the confusion. I was asking for a specific example of what, from your perspective, is a “faux-contrarian, faux-populist stance.” I have a WSJ subscription, so I read most of those.

You had a very specific criticism of her that I wanted to take seriously so I was hoping for a specific example of it. No worries if you don’t want to provide, but I wasn’t trying to be lazy.

Excited to have mine arrive today - despite having what is likely the wrong stand for me, long-term. Also, happy to have my current 27" monitor freed up to go upstairs and serve as an extra screen during March Madness. :rofl:

1 Like

Just read this as well. Pretty rough read if you are on the Apple display team. Makes me feel a bit better about holding out hope of them releasing a new 27" iMac even tho all the rumors say otherwise.

1 Like

I mean: https://youtu.be/SAXRJPbT-5M

Faux-populist: pretending to eat haribo gums when in fact you work for (and are pals with) one of the evilest people on the planet, Rupert Murdoch. That’s a real Tucker Carlson there.

What I mean is that her attitude is always that of having a fake annoyance, being hard to please, why-am-I-even-being-asked-to-do-this…
Like: she’s reviewing the first gen Apple Watch, a device that was en route to being adopted by millions over the following couple of years and…she comments on the fact that she finds the watch bands hard to swap (which, by the way, they’re not).
The first gen Apple Watch is clearly undercooked, but it’s also clearly a fantastic project with a lot of potential. If you had some journalistic insight you could try to capture that fact, that chasm, and to put this into perspective. But her reviews are always so myopic and local: she’s more concerned with the fact that the device she’s testing opened LifeSum instead of News than with the fact that she’s holding a device that, 5 years later, would be on everyone’s wrists and change a lot of people’s daily lives. That’s myopic. Most other reviewers did far better than that on that occasion. Dieter Bohn, for example, if I remember correctly. Probably Lauren Goode. Stern just tends to focus on trivial stuff to score cheap points, IMO.
Anyway, that’s just an example. Pick virtually any review of hers and you’ll find a similar stance.
I wouldn’t be at all surprised if you could find one review of the first iPad in which she says, “Apple, who ever asked for this big iPod touch?”

FWIW, Apple flat-out confirmed that the 27" iMac is “end-of-life.”

I don’t think it’s coming back anytime soon.

It does sound now, based on what Gruber has said at least, that this was just a bug introduced at the last minute. But previously, according to Matt Bircher on Twitter relaying what was said on the Dithering podcast, some people speculated that the M1 image processing is much more powerful than the A13 in the display, and that the A13 can’t improve it as much. It now sounds like that ISN’T the case, but if an update doesn’t fix things, than maybe there’s some truth to it.

(EDIT: which raises the issue of, if the A13 can’t hack it, could they just move the image processing to the Mac?)

1 Like