MacOS Catalina is out!

I had no issues, but I also did clean install on mid 2014 MBP. I mean really clean… wiped drive, did internet restore and upgraded from there to Catalina and then did refresh of Catalina before anything was installed. This thinking is a relic of my Windows life!

1 Like

Hi,

I deleted all 32 bits apps before upgrading. Not many left. The only thing missing is HP Laserjet maintenance app for my quite old printer. Luckily I can use the physical menu for that and VueScan support it for scanning.

Upgrade went fine, about an hour nothing usual. Security notifications are numerous, but I support Apple approach. No big deal. I read them, think about what it means and accept or not. Great. only problem is that you might have to figure out some strange app names. For instance, Backblaze stuff as things like bzMenu that you need to approve. Or LCC something for Logitech Control Center.

So my advice : Open Activity Monitor before upgrading. Look at what’s running and take note of these.
And, for good mesure, print as pdf your Applications system report.

3 Likes

I decided to take the plunge even with the problems with reported with Hazel. Everything is working fine so far. I had to do a hard reboot at the setting up my Mac screen, but no problems other than that sticky point.

I’m not running Catalina but you can do this in iOS 13 by just searching for June 6. I get results for 2013,2016, 2017 & 2018.

Thanks for the heads up. I went the other route and haven’t upgraded yet to DEVONthink 3 :slight_smile: However I am really looking forward to doing so. I have relatively small databases so I can afford ot mess around a little bit.

Re Karabiner and Catalina. On an over the top upgrade I couldn’t access the required permissions. Simple delete and reinstall gave access to those and now karabiner (to be more specific, the hyper key) works fine.

FWIW.

1 Like

Worst update experience ever. Highlights include Music duplicating every song entry, one showing that it was in my HD but not in iCloud, and the other showing it was on iCloud but not on my HD. That took two hours of phone calls to Apple Support to fix. Now, some Exchange emails are causing to error messages in Mail.

I wonder if there is some correlation between the length of time you have been using macOS and difficulties with upgrades. I.e. clean installs tend to be less buggy? And I have been living the iPad only lifestyle since 2012ish until last year when I bought a new MBP and my Catalina install was nearly flawless. Only a superficial Apple ID issue. It is interesting how wildly different the experiences are.

2 Likes

Robertson.historian, I have been thinking the same thing. The stories that I am hearing, remind me of my Windows days. “Upgrades” rarely went as well as nuke and pave. Too much junk got brought along for the ride.

Anyone still on Catalina or downgraded?

Tempted to upgrade, but until I hear that Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop, and Hazel are in working order. I am trying to hold off for a while.

I’m still on Catalina on my secondary machine. I haven’t run into any showstoppers and really quite like Sidecar. My main computer will likely get it early in the new year.

Same here. Staying far away from the new Mac and iOS versions until these issues definitively resolve.

The 32-to-64-bit transition was bad enough (some versions of Transmit, 1Password, QuickBooks, VMWare Fusion, and Parallels got ensnared by that, as well as DJs who depended on a deprecated file format used by iTunes), but all these mail and music and sync issues are proof if not just of complacency at Apple but of those who rushed to upgrade thinking that a new, x.0 version would be smooth sailing. And the MS Vista-like approval boxes… :grimacing:

It’s like Apple lost some institutional memory.

1 Like

Honestly, there have only been 2-3 permissions approvals I was annoyed to have been asked about, all regarding the Downloads folder. I think, though, that Catalina could have done a way better job bundling and explaining the initial flood of requests to the user. Having them pop up ad hoc in a way that was designed for a low frequency of notifications was clumsy.

I had same problem. Apple tech support just told me to get it from the App Store. It worked.

I’m running very stable right now on Mojave and have no need or intention of moving to Catalina unless/until they get this OS actually ready for mainstream, production use.

I was a Windows user through the miserable days of Vista (which was part of the negative Windows experience that motivated my migration to Mac). I don’t care to relive that experience!

I have upgraded to iOS 13 on my mobile devices finally. It seems pretty stable to me so far. I haven’t noticed any real problems since upgrading.

WatchOS 6.01 is also pretty stable. I had one system hang and had to reboot, but otherwise it’s been pretty good on my Series 4.

tvOS 13 has been a pain since release. I wish I would not have upgraded that. If you have AppleTV and have not yet upgraded, DON’T for the time being. Too many problems for me to even list here - and so far, Apple seems reluctant to acknowledge any of the problems. (Hopefully this does not turn into another MacBook Pro keyboard type of a problem.)

3 Likes

Is anyone doing a Siracusa style MacOS review? Sort of like how Viticci has done the past few years with iOS. I’d like to dig in to all the changes.

John Voorhees at MacStories wrote an in-depth review of Catalina.

3 Likes

Most in-depth review I remember seeing was over at Ars Technica.

2 Likes

Would make sense that the Siracusa’s successor at Ars would write a fairly in depth review.