Microsoft Windows 11

Will Windows 11 persuade anybody to switch over from macOS?

Probably not, but we will have to wait and see! :wink:

No, but I’d take this though. Haha.

I like Windows but I felt like there isn’t the same drive by developers to follow the vision Microsoft had, like there is on macOS. But that’s just my opionion with nothing to back it other than my experience using a Surface Pro, which was a great device, for about 3 years.

1 Like

I’ll probably run across it at work in about ten years or so (still on Win7 now :slight_smile: )

5 Likes

A new release of Windows means to me that they’ve moved everything again, and things will be hard to find.

8 Likes

Not me! #macforlife #macOS

Isn’t Windows 7 unsupported? Is there a reason why you aren’t using a newer operating system?

1 Like

I love the optimism. :slight_smile:

I recently helped an aerospace company get Windows XP running again, airgapped, to run a program to check off an FAA requirement. Old Windows software has a way of sticking around.

7 Likes

We’l be moving probably this year and that’s to Win X.
So this one will probable be in 2032?

That’s one of the best things about Windows, there are multiple ways to get to everything.

Now that’s a kind take if I’ve ever seen one. :smile:

4 Likes

One of my last memories of using Windows before switching is actually discovering there are TWO control panels doing partly different things with very different interfaces. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: not missing the Start menu by any length; Alfred is doing so much better for me. The video you refer to is only 1’30 long and completely optional :slightly_smiling_face:

Windows does the job. But I never liked it; I tolerated it. I actually found I could love using a computer again when I switched to Macs in 2016 after 25 years of Windows. (Hey, I wanted to play X-Wing in high school, okay? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

6 Likes

both of them click → type name → enter → done

(or macOS → Alfred: type name → enter → done and then some!)

let’s agree to disagree? If you don’t know the name you’ll be trawling through the startmenu as well, same as the launchpad

1 Like

I’ve used windows next to mac for over 15 years now, and in my opinion Windows is where you get the pre-made uniform production options, and on the mac you get to produce.

Yes it will be easier if you install some utilities, but at least there are util options that work, and do exactly what you want. On windows I get a lot of utils with 1000’s of options, and I would typically only need 1 or 2.

But again, let’s agree to disagree. It’s a no-win discussion, and should not have to be a discussion at all. Just use whatever you’re comfortable with, and let it go at that.

3 Likes

I would say Spotlight does the trick if you don’t want to install Alfred (that’s what I use when troubleshooting Macs around me and it gets me where I need to).
I however 100% agree that Launchpad plain sucks and deserves to be charitably forgotten.

4 Likes

Haha, don’t forget I’m still on windows 7!
Would not call that “modern windows”
For winX I’d probably agree

I can’t remember the last time I clicked on anything on the Start Menu. Once you have your regularly used apps pinned to the Taskbar and can run the rest with Run. you’re set.

The Applications folder can be in alpha order, if you like. And can be a list, or cover flow, etc. Right-click the Finder icon and select Applications (which I just discovered :-)). I also keep the shortcut on my Toolbar in Finder. The uninstaller for the majority of Mac apps is just throwing them in the trash (so it is also right there, so to speak).

Launchpad is kind of like iOS screens, all the icons flow to the upper-right and I have no say in their layout, so I don’t use it. There are probably users who love that it is iOS-like, but I’m not one of them.

I don’t think I’ve seen Apple market Launchpad at all since it was originally introduced.

The Applications folder is in the sidebar of every finder window by default. You don’t need to be a nerd to use it.

3 Likes

switching, no. trying, yes. I consider it as a ‘shiny-new app to fiddle around’.

The one thing that will make me consider is if it uses Super key as main modifier, and has powerful terminal emulator.

1 Like

Launchpad reminds me a lot of the Start Screen.

In other news…