Microsoft Windows 11

If the rumors for the M1X are to be believed, we might soon have your wish granted (fingers crossed).

1 Like

I just watched the Windows 11 event, it’s available on demand on the microsoft.com home page. Windows 11 looks good and and has a lot of new features like subtly adjusting the icons if/when you switch to tablet mode. Win11 will be able to run Android apps and it sounded like MS is positioning Teams as a competitor for FaceTime/iMessage (Teams will available on Win/Mac/IOS/Android, etc.)

But beyond the new look and new features of Win11, Microsoft has totally changed their App Store. Microsoft will connect to other app stores. If you search for Android apps you will be connected to the Amazon App Store. Developers can offer their apps in the MS store and have MS process payments or they can use another payment system. MS will not take a cut if a 3rd party handles the sale.

It’s always good for us when Apple has a strong competitor. Once chip makers can start closing the performance gap of Apple silicon we may be looking at a whole new ballgame.

1 Like

I wonder if they will allow users to install APKs or allow users to access other Android storefronts? The Amazon Appstore is half-baked at best in terms of app selection. On the other hand, Microsoft also opened up their storefront to unpackaged win32 apps that use their own CDNs. That opens up the door for traditional programs like Google Chrome to be added to the Microsoft Store.

1 Like

That was my experience too.

2 Likes

Well it won’t run under parallels at the moment it seems.
Just tried the ‘pc health check’ and it failed.
Assume it’s the requirement for Secure Boot.
I have an MacBook Pro with i9 and 32GB RAM so far exceed system requirements.

That’s also one of the reasons I prefer the Mac. Windows has an app problem. Apps are inconsistent in appearance, quality and functionality. Which is not surprising, because Microsoft does not set a good example with its own apps on Windows.

2 Likes

Microsoft tried to unify the app experience by introducing UWP, but it failed miserably.

They didn’t really try. If Microsoft was serious about UWP they would have released the Office apps as UWP apps and they didn’t. No wonder, that developers didn’t adopt it.

Blame all the enterprise users out there. Microsoft couldn’t really make a UWP version of their productivity software.

Well, other than this…
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/office/9wzdncrd29v9

Why not? They wrote UWP, they wrote the OS, they wrote the Office suite.

Compatibility reasons I presume… :thinking:

What I’m saying is that if anybody was in a position to adopt this new framework, it would be Microsoft. They wrote the OS. They wrote the framework. They have an obscene amount of human resources and money. They very much could’ve forked the codebase, or come up with a way to cross-compile. But they didn’t.

Microsoft effectively said “here devs, we made a framework. No, no, we’re not going to use it - too much of a hassle. But you should give it a shot”.

Announcements like that don’t inspire any sort of confidence in the dev community. And if MS can’t even make their own framework work, why would a given dev adopt it?

2 Likes

You’re absolutely right and they did with the launch of the Surface Pro X (ARM). Apple went fully into the M1 with its own app, it lowered the barrier for developers. With UWP and ARM Microsoft did the other way around and so developers weren’t convinced that it was the way the future.

1 Like

Well, to make matters worse…

Windows 11 requires support for TPM 2.0. This ultimately means that Windows 11 will not be supported on any Intel Mac or any computer that has not been released in the past couple of years.

Windows 11 will not be supported on any Intel Mac or any computer that has not been released in the past couple of years.

Watch this requirement be reverted in a few months after the outcry.

1 Like

IMO, this shouldn’t be a problem for most users. Traditionally people get a new version of windows when they replace their PCs. And in many ways Windows 11 is the wintel equivalent of Big Sur. A new look on top of the same OS.

Businesses are never in a hurry to upgrade operating systems and the Windows “enthusiasts” will find a way around the TPM requirement or pony up for new hardware. The same as Mac fans do.

The bargain basement Win10 Pro PC I just purchased won’t run Win11 but its primary job is local file storage and backup for my iPP. I couldn’t care less what it looks like :grinning:

And Win10 is still officially not EOL until 2025. For the vast majority of Windows users, they’ll be replacing their PC within that timeframe. One of the things you can count on with Windows hardware. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why would the requirement be reverted when Apple is quickly moving away from Intel processors and forgetting about them?

Anything’s possible but I suspect one reason for the requirement is to simplify support by reducing the number of older machines that could run Win11. And another would be to encourage the sale of new computers to keep their partners happy.

I wouldn’t expect an outcry from businesses. Historically they rarely upgrade an existing computer. And with all the new computers recently purchased due to Covid the number of serious users with older equipment must be a lot lower than normal.

The most important thing to most Windows users is “will it run my existing software?” And with Windows the answer is almost always yes.

1 Like

I don’t disagree with your assessment, I was just speculating on some possible reasons for limiting installations of Win11. Nothing MS does surprises me.

1 Like