Mojave Monday 9/24 -- will you jump on it?

I made the leap of faith, and I am happy with it.
Upgraded an iMac and MBP (which is fairly old, this probably the last macOS upgrade for it).

I think Stephen Hackett is doing a review but it won’t be anywhere near what John Siracusa & Federico Viticci do.

Ars Technica has a fairly comprehensive review.

There’s a MacStories review of Mojave by John Vorhees – released 9/24 – might not be ungated yet?

With great fear and trepidation I went ahead and downloaded Mojave. And to my great relief my trusty ScanSnap S1500M works just fine. Just a tiny handful of 32-bit apps I use but I hope the developers will update them - e.g., VLC, Stuffit.

3 Likes

I’ve downloaded it, but haven’t worked up the nerve to hit install. I still use an old version of Sibelius that I’m afraid will break.

VLC 3 is 64-bit. And why still using stuffit? There are better, more modern applications that do what stuffit does.

Does anyone know if the latest version of Hammerspoon runs on Mojave?

Thanks for the info on VLC. I don’t use it very often. I just downloaded the 64-bit version.

Just an update (if anyone cares): I restored back to High Sierra 10.13.6 on my Mid 2014 MBP (2.8GHz i7 16GB DDR3). I did notice that I am frighteningly low on storage space (only 30GB left out of the 500 I have). I suspect that may have been part of my issue. I have cleaned out some of the cruft and may try again over the weekend with almost 70 GB of space.

VLC is a great app. I stopped using it when I got a discount deal on the Pro update to Elmedia Player, which does what VLC does but also supports building playlists, opening browser videos via optional bookmarklet, saving RTMP streams,& external resources required by SWF animations, downloading YouTube videos (I have other apps I use for that, though), and easily being able to grab stills from videos.

I have to say I love the “NEWS” app.

1 Like

It’s great. I write a mash note about it the other day. If you configure it with favorite new sources and topics, and blacklist stuff you aren’t interested in (for me: sports and some political extremist news) and like/dislike individual articles (Command+L or Command+D) then you’ll get an increasingly useful, AI-powered smart RSS feed of customized news, while also being able to individually viit the feeds for sites and topics.

This has been available for a while on iOS, but it’s just much more convenient and practical on macOS with big screens and the ability to open articles in a web browser.

I use NewsBlur for my (considerable) RSS feeds, and I won’t be able to give it up - a while back I hit the feed limit on Apple News(150 sites/topics, I think). But right now I’ve got 1355 sites in RSS in NewsBlur. But I’m jumping into Apple News more, and first, because it bubbles up the more prominent and important news for easy reading.

I’m on the fence with this one, but thinking of going ahead to install it.

For those who’ve installed, have you seen performance gains?

Yes, and done (no issues so far…)

I jumped on Mojave on release day. I am anxious for Mailsuite so I can get Mail Act-on back, but otherwise everything is fine. I did not even back anything up this time. I was so excited, I just installed it. Next time I will back up ahead of time.

I got that message too before I could connect my iPhone to perform a backup (High Sierra as well). Just hit “OK” and let it do the update; you’ll be able to connect and sync your music after that.

I jumped on Mojave last night and went for Dark Mode. (I’m not sure if I’ll stick with Dark Mode, though.)

The only victim discovered so far is IBM Notes - which is crashtastic. I’m told I can fix this so today I’ll try to. (I have other ways of getting at the IBM email infrastructure, as it happens.)

I cleared over 100GB today and tried again with no issues at all. Well, Better Touch Tool was not working but I toggled the security settingnoff and back on and now I think I am good to go!

Just a reminder that BTT needs Accessibility access in System Prefs to work properly (in case that’s not what you were referring to by “security setting”):