My Life Is A Subscription!

It really is the best weather app, and if you want to use the watch complication, you have to join the premium club. 100% worth it.

3 Likes

I love your premise, “my life is a subscription” :grinning: Here is my list and I am surprised it is so small. :smirk:

• Backblaze
  • Curiosity Stream
  • iCloud
  • Netflix
  • NFL Gamepass
  • Office 365
  • Squarespace
  • Hover
  • The Planetary Society
  • YouTube TV

I think my next subscription is going to be Eero Plus, which gives you Encrypt.me, 1Password, and Malwarebytes in addition to their network protection services.

OK, if it works for you, that’s great. Personally, I do not care for the snarky attitude of the app, but to each his own. I’m using the stock weather app from the iPhone and Mac (which sync) and is good enough for me.

If you turn off the snark completely, it’s still the best weather app, especially on the Watch.

If Carrot Weather’s up to the minute update is only available in my country, I’d subscribe to it. A one-hour heavy rain in our city is kind-of a life and death situation. Heavy flooding and massive traffic. We get about 20-26 typhoons a year.

Excluding utility bills like broadband etc (which I don’t consider subscription :rofl: ), here’s my list:

• Amazon Prime
  • Spotify
  • Last Pass
  • Headspace (might be cancelling it this year after using it for 3yrs. Have been testing Oak which is free and I like it)
  • Todoist
  • Hover (domain)
  • Graze (snaks delivered to your door here in the UK)
  • Netflix
  • BT Sport
  • Drafts5
  • Club MacStories (will cancel next year, can’t find much value in it)
  • Grammarly (like this but is very expensive so assessing)
  • Run Gap (this is awesome to consolidate running times from/to different apps, on & off depending on my needs)
  • Screencasts Online
  • iCloud (50Gb)

While trying Bobby2 as suggested by @wiredfractal , I noticed this could be a good case for me to save some money and build a workflow to update an Airtable database :grinning:

Bobby is great for figuring out how much you are spending a month on various subscriptions. $2 here, $3 there, it quickly adds up. The trick is to remember to put in the subscriptions.

2 Likes

Can you share the Airtable base template you are using ?

1 Like

I’m currently managing it in google sheets but this is a good use case for me to learn how APIs work in the workflows app, and so I’ll migrate it onto Airtable.

Anyway the columns I have (and will maintain) are:

• App name
  • Cost (in GBP) - what I’ve paid for, either Monthly or Annually cost. However, if I pay a sub every 3 months, I’ll just divide it by 3 and likewise if it’s by-weekly I’ll just multiply it by 2 (always assume that a month have 4 weeks. I don’t want to overcomplicate and these are the exceptions anyway). Also, I always capture the cost in GBP even if I paid in other currencies like USD (e.g. MacStories club)
  • Duration (M- month or A - Annual)
  • Cost or month (formula which divides cost by 12, if M use cost
  • Date from - not applicable if it’s a rolling subs, eg. Netflix
  • Date to - not applicable if it’s a rolling subs, eg. Netflix
  • Subscribed by - source, typically “website”
  • How to unsubscribe - phones, emails, etc which is a trick I’ve learned from MPU
  • Comments (all my tables must have a comments column :grinning: )

I also have a cell where I can see the total “monthly cost” and another one where I have total annual cost.

As said, this is to give me a feeling for how much I’m spending and where I’m spending my money.

On top I’ve also have a task in Todoist to alert me 5 days before the subscription ends

1 Like

+1 for Bobby. It is great for tracking your subscription and giving you an idea of how much you are spending per week/month/year.

1 Like

In reading everyone’s list I see that I am not alone. Here is my list:

Entertainment:

• Netflix (Japan)
  • Hulu (Japan)
  • Apple Music

Services:

• Evernote Premium (on the cut list)
  • Text Expander
  • YNAB
  • iCloud (200GB)
  • 1Password

Social Media:

• Strava Pro

Potential Future Subscriptions:

• Backblaze
  • Drafts

While I am not a huge fan of subscriptions, I feel that these subscriptions ultimately support the developers on the App/Services that I enjoy using. So I don’t mind paying as long as I get value and enjoyment from them.

If you’re talking about Carrot– I didn’t like it either for the same reason! I changed it’s personality to pleasant and wound up turning off the sound altogether. I have a bookmark for the local seven day forecast. The app Siri can find, so it’s easier for me to use Carrot but I might just delete it again.

I’m with you! I prefer Scrivener anyway.

I do not care for subscriptions. From the list of subscriptions, I don’t see all that many that are so special or creative that warrant the prices when there are other iOS apps out there that have similar or more features without incurring fees.

I have Apple Music which is well worth the $9.99 a month! I simply love it!
I also pay Apple for extra photo space which is certainly worth it.

And I have Netflix.

Timing just added a sync “feature” for which they are hoping we will pay up to $79 per year. I don’t like the price and I would have preferred they leverage iCloud, Google Drive, or DropBox rather than introducing their own cloud sync service. (ง’̀-'́)ง

yeah it made me assess my subscription seeing how much I spent on Adobe Creative Cloud annually (I’m paying an annual month per month basis).

As an aside on this. I paid for Evernote personally for years, but it got to a point where so many were depending on my shared notebooks that I was able to get the company to agree to pay it if I expensed it.

12 Subscriptions 4 of which are entertainment streaming services.

I use the App “Bobby” to keep track of their renewals wether they are monthly/quarterly/annual it is easy to lose track of renewals especially annual ones. Also helps to keep track of what I am paying subscriptions for. Helps to have all subscriptions in one location.

I am both the worker and the paymaster so if I pay for Evernote then the company is paying. My reference to paying for Evernote personally was more related to a non free version of the app.

Several software services offer so much value and joy to my life that I’m gladly paying a subscription to make sure they stay around.

Examples:

• 1Password
  • Remember The Milk (my trusted GTD system)
  • FastMail (email & calendars)