New email client launching 1st June

Just came across this announcement https://twitter.com/notsobigcompany/status/1663472658955096064?s=61&t=gKJLxXhgs2cWqOhNHwJTxA

IIRC they had made another attempt a few years back and it didn’t go very well. Let’s hope this one’s a solid one, as there is no great email client for apple devices since Spark’s gone electron unfortunately!

They are also the makers of a good News app alternative (with RSS support) called Big News which I use on the side and although it’s nothing ground-breaking, it does feel very much like an Apple app. Fingers crossed their email solution feels the same!

1 Like

I’m not so sure this is a mail client. Looks like Big Mail is still going.

A previous discussion about Big Mail:

1 Like

The developer gave a “sneak peek” of Big Mail v2 in Feb. So it might be that?

https://twitter.com/phillipcaudell/status/1630148506177396736

3 Likes

After the (fairly) disastrous launch last time, I don’t have high hopes, but I wish them the best – even with Mimestream, the world of non-Electron email apps on the Mac is a dreary place. I’d love to see more, and better, options.

2 Likes

Are there even great options using Electron? (Actually asking!)

1 Like

Apple Mail is a good working Mail app on the Mac :wink:

3 Likes

One can only hope, but yes you might be right! A few hours left to find out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I have seen that and it does look good, but it will depend in its feature set. Not much you can tell from the screenshot!

Agreed. The first version was an opinionated “Mac-assed” app which had clearly had a lot of love poured into its development.

But it wasn’t obvious (to me) how it solved any valuable problems better than the competition. And it was objectively expensive (compared to other email apps) and subjectively expensive (in terms of my perceived value of its features and UX)

1 Like

Said it before and will say it again Mailmate! It may not be pretty but it’s in my opinion the best

8 Likes

and it’s iOS app is second to none :wink:

1 Like

Preside on IOS is a fair attempt at an equivalent (in some ways)

3 Likes

I’m flipping between Spark Desktop (sub) and Mailmate. Likely sticking with the latter due to its strong integration with Devonthink.

Been using Spark Desktop (while being subbed as well) for now. For me the biggest benefit of Spark (amongst others), is its smart notifications. I’ve never been notified of anything unimportant, while I haven’t missed anything important either. It just works.

Depending on what your needs are, your preferred style, and your willingness to pay large ongoing costs, I’d classify Spark and Superhuman somewhere between Good and Great.

1 Like

Probably because Mail.app is good enough for almost everybody so it does not merit the effort. If memory serves, the main contenders are Mimestream, Mailmate, and Canary which I believe are 100% native.

2 Likes

Update: It’s the mail app after all, TestFlight starts 9th June https://bigmail.app

1 Like

Subscription-based but no pricing given, and iOS only for the testflight. I’m wondering how many people on iOS are even in the market for a mail app. Keeping in mind, of course, that this isn’t a back-end service at all - it’s just a mail app. So it’s different from Hey, Fastmail, etc.

1 Like

You just described every email client I’ve every used. Most of the email improvements of the past thirty years has occurred on servers.

IMO, with the exception of security everything else is just a variation of the features that have been bolted on to clients over the years. The best email client is the one you like the most.

1 Like

Correct - but most of the mail clients I’ve used aren’t positioning themselves to charge me a substantial monthly fee for their use. The stuff I’ve seen where a subscription makes sense to me have typically included some sort of back-end magic or a bundled service (Hey, Sanebox, etc.).

2 Likes