New Scansnap IXI500 October 12th

DFullerton, I was able to figure this out. For anyone reading this thread, the link to the solution (adding apps, including Acrobat, to scan to) is at
https://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/imaging/downloads/manual/ss_webhelp/en/help/webhelp/topic/ope_appli_mgr.html

1 Like

Unless you have to buy one, it is probably best to wait several months and let them work out the bugs before buying. I would be inclined to buy if the new ScanSnap is not dependent of MacOS. I love my iMac, but it gets old every year having to worry what will break next with the new OS changes and how long it will take the other vendors to resolve the issue. I still have problems occasionally, where it takes a while to wake up my ix500 and get my iMac to recognize it. This very intermittent, but frustrating when it happens (especially when you are busy or on a deadline). If the new ix1500 can scan and upload to the cloud and I can easily retrieve it, I am all in.

I am unpacking a ScanSnap ix500, and just realized a newer one the ix1500 is out. I should pack this back up and get the new one, right?

Sigh.

In your case, I would probably go with the ix1500. Only because the ix500 has been out several years already. It appears Fujitsu will be moving away from the ix500, so software support could be a problem down the road. If the quality is up to par on the new model, your scanner should last for many years.

You might want to read the iX1500 reviews first. Comments about lower quality concern me.

@BonnieB - Consider the following:
The iX500 ScanSnap was introduced by Fujitsu in January 2013. This was less than 1 year after I purchased my ScanScan S1500M. Operationally, the two models are similar, except that the iX500 supports wireless operation, in addition to wired USB operation. Sale of the ScanSnap S1500M was discontinued shortly after the iX500 was introduced. Now (December 2018) Fujitsu considers the S1500 obsolete and no longer provides software support. Fujitsu has a history of ā€œobsoletingā€ non-current scanners (i.e., no longer sold), including my ScanSnap S1500M.

The ScanSnap line does not use standard Twain-compliant drivers; these scanners use only Fujitsuā€™s proprietary software. Fujitsu has recently changed (ā€œupgradedā€) its software from the 32-bit ScanSnap Manager to the 64-bit ScanSnap Home software. Apple has announced that macOS will require 64-bit software going forward, after the current version of macOS (Mojave). Fujitsuā€™s new software comes with new licensing restrictions, including the number of users and number of computers with which the software will operate. Others in this forum have described certain problems, including the need to contact Fujitsu support when doing a ā€œclean installā€ of macOS on a computer that runs ScanSnap Home.

How long do you anticipate that your just-purchased iX500 will be in Fujitsuā€™s currently-sold and actively-supported lineup? If you think that you will receive full value of your purchase price within a short period of time, then it would be reasonable to keep the iX500. If lack of software support after some (as yet unknown) period of time is a problem for you, then you might want to reconsider. Current prices of the iX500 and iX1500 are not too far apart. You could purchase the new iX1500, but that will lock you in to using the new ScanSnap Home software with its licensing restrictions. If you keep the iX500, you could use the old but still available 32-bit software without the new licensing restrictions but you would be limited to the current version (or older versions) of macOS.

I too ordered the ix500 and then realized that the ix1500 was going to be released shortly. I packed up the ix500 and pre-ordered the new one. I couldnā€™t be happier with it. Iā€™m so glad I did.

Given the way Fujitsu has dealt with ā€œoldā€ scanners in the past, I would definitely go for the new one sending the ix500 back.

Of course, nobody knows what Fujitsu is planning with the ix500, but I would not take that risk. :frowning:

Hi Tomalmy.

I tried creating a new profile and only scanning as documents. However as soon as I change the multipage-receipt-document type to Receipt, it splits into multiple pages. How do I prevent this?

Alternately, how can I add a automatically detected price field for documents?

Thanks

@tomalmy Scratch that. As soon as I posted, it automatically started saving as multi-page receipts. Arggghhh.

I had an iX500. While I could use it to scan to my computer just fine, I was having all kinds of issues with the cloud scan. This problem started at the point that I was forced to upgrade the ScanSnap software to the 64 bit version, prior to that it had scanned to the cloud OK. I sold the ix500 and bought an ix1500 and was able to set up cloud scanning fairly easily, after getting through the mess of unregistering the ix500 and then registering the ix1500, and some other credentialing garbage that should not be a part of using your own hardware! Do you think this was just a coincidence, or did Fujitsu purposely make it difficult to keep using the ix500 for cloud scanning? I hope itā€™s not the latter!