Notability went subscription and existing users will have to pay in a year

1Password’s a little different. They’re removing the functionality entirely, not putting it behind a subscription. So this policy wouldn’t apply.

Coincidentally, I just installed Notability on my iPad mini to test as a notetaking device. Based on a meeting today I think I may like it better than Goodnotes. Goodnotes ink engine is still better, but I like the way Notability handles multiple pages on the iPad mini’s small screen and the process for getting plain text out of the Mac app. Still got two weeks on the trial but I may be signing up for another sub.

1 Like

I did not use “bad fath” or “illegal” but it is scummy. People have icloud sync in version 10. GingerLabs forcing an upgrade to 11 which is what the app store is doing (unless you never want to hit the Upgrade All button ever again) and then charging people is scummy.

4 Likes

In the end, Developers have to make a living. They have to decide how much their apps are worth.

As Users, we have to decide how much we like the apps we use, do they earn their keep?

One off App prices on the app stores became a race to the bottom which hurt Devs.

Subscriptions are a way for Dev’s to make a decent living (if they get the price right) and also (if the app needs it) to release features in a little and often model rather than waiting 2 years to release a big upgrade version to justify the cost.

Some apps charge a minimal Subscription, but don’t release new features often, that’s OK too.

Subs are also a way for people to use the apps on demand, e.g. I may need an app twice a year, and only need to pay 2 months of subs rather than 12 months.

Each to their own, if you don’t think an app is worth the sub, don’t pay for it.

3 Likes

All businesses want recurring revenue of course. But just in the case of Notability, it’s not like they’re not profitable. They raked in $1m per month according to sensor tower. As they said in press release, they turned this business decision to have more rapid growth.

If it’s indie dev struggling on mediocre sales, maybe your arguments would apply better.

We probably all heard all the different arguments on each side. We can’t really convince people of opposing opinions on subscriptions.

But I hope everyone would agree that taking away features already paid by customers is not acceptable, no matter how well the words are said.

1 Like

I’m not going to add much to another thread dealing with subscriptions. :grinning: I’ll only add a few thoughts:

1. Applications are different than most things we purchase. We buy them and keep them. If they break we either replace or pay to have them fixed. In a way, a subscription is the cost of “fixing” them (keeping them running on new platforms) and doing what one can’t do with tangible goods–add features. Subscriptions are justifiable.
  2. App subscriptions are much like streaming services or utilities–there is a cost to keep them going which I, as the consumer, pay monthly for.
  3. That said, most of us have a finite budget so we have to make decisions. I anticipate even more apps going to subscription–including the real possibility of Things doing so. OF already has a new subscription model. Craft is also subscription as is Ulysses. I mention these three programs because I have used them and I like them. However, I’m hedging my bets and saving a little money by using non-subscription apps whenever they are “good enough.” Here are my examples:
  • Moved from Things to Reminders. I like Things better. It is easier but I can make Reminders work good enough and I don’t have to worry about Apple converting Reminders to a subscription–I don’t think! :wink:
  • I will use Obsidian for all writing and note taking. I like Ulysses and Craft better. But, with Obsidian, all of my markdown files are local and I can use a lot of different apps to work on them. So even if Obsidian went subscription, it would have no material effect on me.
  • I’ll use Apple Notes for personal notes.

The decision to go subscription with Notability–again, justifiable–has finally forced me to make decisions about my app choices. I’ve been experimenting with different options for several months but as subscriptions continue to proliferate I am going to minimize their impact in my workflow and budget even if the subscription apps are better.

No cost:

6 Likes

Agreed. I have seen several other apps do the same thing and think it’s a bit of a shady/unethical practice. Devs tout the change as “the app is now free” but often existing functionality is lost without a subscription once the existing owner period, if offered, expires.

I wouldn’t have as big an issue if the change from paid to free-with-subscription happened by releasing a new app. That way, those of us who want to keep using the legacy version can keep doing so as long as it works without having to disable automatic app updates or worry about tapping on Update All.

2 Likes

OK. No, of course, I never read it. I love the law but I would hard pressed to get through a document like that unless I had to do so. They do cover their butts. Note that they can afford high priced attorneys too. Ah, maybe it is a boiler plate contract.

The Court would most likely support the company but stranger things have happened.

And, no, I paid for the app. Until they started up with this subscription stuff, I owned it.

I do not know who came up with the subscriptions but it is inherently unfair.

Btw, how much is Notability charging?

Agreed. I love OmniFocus. it’s overkill for what I do, but I’ll happily pay the upgrade price every few years to keep using it on my iPad, but I ONLY use it on my iPad and if the only option was the £9.99 a month Subscription I’d find something else with a heavy heart.

1 Like

$14.99/year, with a launch price discount to $11.99

3 Likes

Software isn’t a boxed product any longer where what you buy is what you keep, there’s a massive benefit to buying software these days in that new features and fixes are provided over the air. There’s also a downside in that things get taken away, even by Apple sometimes.

Do you really buy an app from the App Store thinking you’ll have it forever? If so, I think you need to look at the history of the app store, 64 bit apps, new OS updates breaking compatibility, dev’s going out of business or choosing to step back.

Yes, I appreciate that the Dev is putting features you’ve paid for behind a paywall, if they were sunsetting the app in 12 months, what would your reaction be then? the same?

1 Like

I agree. We may not like it but subscriptions are not going away.

1 Like

I use Syncthing a bit (nowhere near as much recently) and it is open source and has had issues with this. One developer took the core project and made it available on iOS via a wrapper (with some limitations). However, it was charging $1.99 for a premium version with fewer limitations that rankled some people within the community. It seemed reasonable for me simply because they need to at least recover the Apple dev fee or they end up paying for it.

This is somewhat good news. I always struggle to decide which one out of Notability and Good Notes is a better fit for me.

Now I do not have to…

Until Good Notes goes subscription. :cry:

3 Likes

You just cant see me happy, can you lol :joy:

10 Likes

That made me laugh! :laughing:

Didn’t mean to be a “Debby Downer.”

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: 20 characters

So basically you’re supporting devs doing anything they like. We can’t complain even if they’re taking away features we paid for. Okay.

If Apple turns your volume button into a subscription, would you just say the market has changed, don’t complain, let’s just settle with “don’t pay it if you don’t think it’s worth”?

If they release a new app and stop updating the old one, that’s totally fine.

2 Likes

This twitter thread by Halide developer provides interesting perspective:

As a consumer I much rather prefer developers adopt the Halide way or the agenda way. I am not opposed to subscriptions. It just does not sit well with me when features I paid for are now behind a subscription.

6 Likes