Notched MacBooks

People who hide the menu bar by default will notice it all the time.

1 Like

I don’t hide the menu bar but I do hide the dock. I don’t find the doc particularly useful when I can so quickly use spotlight to find exactly what I need or open an app.

How thicker would it need to be though?

After five minutes of searching, I came back with nothing.

DuckDuckGo didn’t come up with much. :man_shrugging:

I thought so too for a long time. But hidden bottom dock is the way to go :ok_hand:
At least if you use multiple displays. Only that way the dock will move from screen to screen with your cursor.

Regarding the new MBPs. I miss the clamshell design influence. The slight taper that made the borders appear slimmer did a lot to make even the 16" MBP feel thinner.

They look really weighty and thick. Just by the looks they remind me more of the old 2010i-sh unibody MacBook Pros. Yet, their footprint is not much larger than the one of the current models. Also the weight is comparable. The 14" one is a bit heavier than previous 13" ones, though.

However, their appearance tells a different story.

Okay, I’m going to come out and say that I like the notch. Of course, I’d prefer a magic camera that is ultra thin and behind the display, but since that’s not possible, the notch design is a great compromise of moving the menu bar into space that was bezel and putting the camera into space that was (for me) just blank menu bar.

I’m still confused as to how the menu bar works with the notch. Does a part of the menu bar just get removed in the middle? My menu bar is filled all the way so I’m not sure what to make of the notch.

DuckDuckGo’s general knowledge results come mainly from Bing, Yahoo (Bing), and Yandex, the provider of roughly half the searches in Russia.

DDG is a decent search engine but I only use it when I’m willing to trade results for a little extra privacy.

If it were closer to April 01, I’d make a post about setting the notch to auto-hide :innocent:

2 Likes

I knew that their search results come from Bing, but I had no clue that their search results also come from Yandex too.

For less important matters, I specifically use DuckDuckGo.

1 Like

Just wait for Bartender to release their new app “Barbender”, which will curve the menubar around the notch elegantly.

Joking, I guess it will be split with a safe zone reserved for the notch area. And the overflow of items will just spill over to the right.
The folks behind Bartender are already working on a version, I read.

5 Likes

Literally anything else?

1 Like

My assumption is that if you have more than half a screen of menus, some will bump over to the right side of the notch. Similarly, if you have more than half a screen of menu bar items, they’ll overflow to the left side of the notch. If you have both, the menus will take priority over the menu bar items, just like they do now (absent something like Bartender).

I do not claim to be an expert but this article strikes me as balanced and well researched. You might find it useful.

I like it because (unlike on the iPhone), it lets space previously used for bezel now be used for the menu bar, which makes more space for apps.

Would I prefer ultra-slim bezels and no notch at all? Yes, of course, but barring some form of magic, that would not let the camera be at the top of the display. This solution devotes the smallest amount of space possible to bezel required to house the camera, so I like the solution.

I am not, however, suggesting that you should like it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve done some looking and can’t find laptops that have both a very thin bezel and a 1080p camera at the top of the display. If you’re able to find any, I’d be curious to see them too.

I can’t wait for Samsung laptops to promote a new ad hinging on their screens not having a notch!

edit: Or Intel. “One big reason to go with an Intel-powered laptop with a seamless screen where the camera resides on top.” They should bring in real people.

1 Like

I have an “old” M1 Mac. Does anyone know of an App that will place a notch on my screen? I want to be like the cool kids.

1 Like

Just going by memory now, but didn’t a lot of phones follow Apple’s lead and release “notches” of one sort or another?