Notion vs Craft.do

I’ve been using notion for a while now and generally really like it, I live in Australia and Notion lets me down in 2 areas; performance is getting worse and the spell check is American English! the spelling is not a huge issue, but the performance especially compared to Roam is awful.

Has anyone used Craft? as an alternative? it looks pretty nice and seems to do mostly what I want it todo

thanks, Murray

Hm. The domain craft.so is for sale. Do you have a link to more info?

I think it is a mistype and should read Craft.do which is currently in beta in TestFlight. @murrayjack if this is the case, can you update your topic title.

I have just started having a look at it, but don’t use Notion so can’t really help with the comparison.

Hope this helps.

4 Likes

At the moment, craft is not at feature parity with notion. Craft can’t support tables or any of the embeds notion supports (Youtube, Dropbox, Figma, etc). I think if Notion meshes well for your brain (it doesn’t for mine), Craft is a Mac-ified experience which is focusing on the writing part being done right.

2 Likes

Sorry old fingers the link is https://www.craft.do

1 Like

I’m extremely excited about Craft. It looks great, and I’m hopeful it can be a great native Notion alternative. I really dislike electron apps and Bear never quite sat right with me (mainly the organization).

For now, I’m really optimistic and am starting some testing today.

1 Like

Ryan Christoffel has an extensive review over on MacStories.

The collaboration stuff looks interesting.

5 Likes

That was a comprehensive review of Craft. I just downloaded it two days ago and tinkered for only a bit but this review let’s me know it’s likely worth the effort to dig in deeper. Thanks for the find Chris

$45/year. Sigh.

Too many note-taking apps to check out and everybody is going subscription model. :frowning:

2 Likes

The only thing that may give users pause is Craft’s business model…
…and that subscription runs $4.99/month

Unlock MacStories Extras
Starting at $5/month

4 Likes

I cannot believe how inexpensive this app is. I’ve been playing around with it all morning and I’m blown away at how easy - maybe even joyful - it is to use. That’s on the Mac (catalyst), iPad and iOS.

I’ve been tinkering with Roam and Notion … and thankfully craft doesn’t have nearly as many features as them … and it’s a delight to use.

Love it.

I’ve subscribed. I’m convinced I will get an enormous amount of value out of this.

(And … it’s only version 1 - extraordinary)

7 Likes

I’m heading down the same street. Deleted Notion, Walling and Milanote. I’m gonna bet on this horse. Things will get really good when I can go straight from Dafts to Craft.

6 Likes

Woah I didn’t know about this app. This looks reeeaaaall nice

Now if there was something like this, without the collab features and offline without subscription… My dream :sob:

Reminds me a lot of http://noto.ink

Are there any more updated grids or feature/function comparisons across Notion vs Craft vs Bear (vs any others)?

I use Drafts a lot these days as both its core function as a ‘text processor/mover’ as well as a place to retain notes, so I’m seeing a ton of overlap with Bear, which for me functions more as a place to retain notes longer term. Also paying premium on Bear (and Drafts) but wondering if that is necessary and could possibly eliminate a subscription and split items between Drafts (premium) and Craft (free) as an example.

Here you go - a detailed comparison between Notion, Craft and Bear (my vote goes for Craft).

I hope this helps you make a decision.

This is great! Thank you!

Welp, I’ve already exhausted my ‘free’ allocation on Craft and I am barely 1/3 of the way through my notes on Bear. And a $51/yr annual subscription to Craft (Notion is the same) is a deal breaker/not worth it to me when Bear serves most of my needs for about $15/yr. Can subscribe to Drafts AND Bear with $15 left over for that price, or try to see if Drafts can possibly serve both needs!

With all the apps that are discussed/reviewed here and on MPU, I’d love to have the team list out what are the must have subscriptions because there is a point where all these subscriptions are going to break people’s budgets and it just can’t sustain.

There are no must-have subscriptions. Use what works best for you or makes you happy.

Sometimes the culture around apps reminds me of high school – having to have something because the “cool” kids have it.

5 Likes

Curious to hear more about what you’d actually need from Drafts in order to go all in and give up on those other subscriptions…