Obsidian goes v1!

Apparently, it incorporates to the general public all the features Insiders were using in 0.16.

Mobile is in a whole new level.

6 Likes

As in good or bad? ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.

1 Like

I love the new design. I think the new iOS version hasnā€™t passed review yet, but I switched to iA Writer on iOS for editing my Obsidian vault. Might end up doing the same on macOS as well, I canā€™t justify the Obsidian commercial license, but when Iā€™m at home itā€™s Obsidian all the way.

This is a wonderful update ā€” the app is so much more usable now. My congratulations to the entire Obsidian team, especially our very own @ryanjamurphy, who I know is very involved.

I havenā€™t used it on my Mac as of yet, but on the phone this is a tremendous improvement.

2 Likes

Very impressive update (Iā€™ve been trialing on my Mac the insider version for a couple of weeks). The redesign has transformed the usability and itā€™s worth reconsidering as a note-taking application. For me it offers similar functionality to UpNote, but with the files under my ā€˜localā€™ control.

I rely on the ā€œFile Tree Alternativeā€ plugin to give me the folders/files view I prefer, but apart from that the native functionality is comprehensive.

A quick look at the updated iOS version suggests similar improvements. Certainly worthy of the 1.x versioning!

My favourite thing about 1.0 is that, symbolically, it marks a turning point for Obsidianā€™s ecosystem in which we can anticipate a much more stable API and app design. The app has effectively exited beta, and that can only be a good thing for the ecosystem.

From a conversation on the Obsidian Discord server:

@Craftidore: Has the plugin API hit a stable v1.0 with the Obsidian 1.0 release?

@Licat (Obsidian dev): Plugin API, yes and no? Itā€™s hard to say to be honest. I donā€™t anticipate making drastic changes to it, but i donā€™t think we want to limit ourselves with ā€œok no more API changes down the line everā€

I think at this point weā€™ve gotten enough experience with the plugin API to know whatā€™s more breaking and whatā€™s not, and we can schedule/plan our upcoming changes well though to keep the future API upgrades smooth

[ā€¦]

we always try to change the API with backward compatibility in mind. There was a few times where that wasnā€™t possible/it wasnā€™t elegant, and weā€™ve done some research in the plugin community to see how many/which plugins were using the APIs to decide whether itā€™s worth it for a breaking change vs an API limitation

I canā€™t take any credit ā€” my role is just helping people, complaining, and sarcasm, and not necessarily in that order ā€” but I will pass it on!

3 Likes

Well deserved comment no doubt :grin: but I never left, as Iā€™ve stated elsewhere, I use Obsidian for my research summary notes. :grin:

6 Likes

Iā€™ve used Obsidian since the first day it was available for download in 2020, and have never experienced any instability with the app in any way. Itā€™s always been rock solid and trustworthy. So, for me, the transition to 1.0 is a milestone worth applause, but not significant in terms of trustworthiness or stability.

Katie

3 Likes

I think he was talking about stability in the sense that the API and visual elements will not be changing in ways that break plugins between major versions (hopefully), so plugin developers donā€™t have to do as much unexpected maintenance.

Iā€™m happy with the tabs implementation! Iā€™m a light Obsidian user, but that makes my use of it significantly easier.

4 Likes

I have been trying other similar apps, like Logseq, Craft, Notenik, Mem.ai, etc,

Every time, I come back to Obsidian, especially using the rock solid sync is great for multi-device use

I only tried Craft but like you, Iā€™ve stayed with Obsidian for my research notes. Obsidian is not adequate for my other note taking needs, e.g., meeting and project notes, but it is great for my research notes.

Seen people over in creative writing forums raving about using Obsidian but woe that web site plays havoc with my Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome (aka Meares-Irlen Syndrome)!

Iā€™m having a very hard time with it. Appearance is all wonky and I canā€™t get things back where they are readble for me.

1 Like

A suggestion: switch back to the built-in/default theme. And then, perhaps, change the font size.

That fixed things for me.

1 Like

Same problem in safe mode

Nope, same problems.

Posted sreenshots etc on the Obsidian forum

1 Like

Iā€™ve been looking around the Obsidian Forum & Discord for information on the Tasks plugin and whether itā€™s safe to upgrade. Does anyone know?

Just want to observe that juggling the many enticing Obsidian plugins against app upgrades, UI changes, and plugin developers who have lost interest or otherwise fallen behind was one of the main reasons I did not continue to use Obsidian.

2 Likes

This is why I keep my plugin usage to a minimum, I only have two installed right now (Git and Linter). Can easily live without them if they break. This problem isnā€™t exclusive to Obsidian though, any app that relies on its community for extensibility will have the same struggles.

I received the iOS update today, I love the Tweetbot-like quick switcher toolbar button on the bottom right corner, super handy for quickly opening my daily note.

1 Like

Yup, but if I were still using Obsidian it would be my main app and I wouldnā€™t be able to accept that level of uncertainty or having to use a plugin for what I consider a core feature.

For example, I really like the calendar panel in the NotePlan app which is integral to the app and the way it works. With Obsidian I would have to rely on a plugin for that calendar capability. NotePlan has a plugin community as well, but I have everything that I need or want in the app itself without needing to extend the app with a plugin.

1 Like

@Natsdv Yeah, youā€™re fine with Tasks.

I actually donā€™t know of any plugins that are (still) broken by 1.0. The only ones affected by the release were ones that influenced appearance, and I think those were fixed through the insider release. If there are a few they must not be popular because they arenā€™t being discussed.

@karlnyhus Itā€™s an understandable position but, in my experience, it is unwarranted ā€¦ especially (a) since if you find a set up that works, you can keep it (e.g., donā€™t update things), and (b) now that weā€™ve hit 1.0!