October 18, 2021 Apple Event

If the 14” rumor is true I’m getting it and giving my current M1 to my EA. A win win. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I am looking forward to see what’s released, but I’m definitely not in the market for a new Macbook. Just got a shiny new M1 MBP a couple months ago and I’ve been very happy with it. I feel like 14" would be better for my use case but also think that might make it hard to fit into my already small bag, so no buyer’s remorse here either :grin:

Tim Cook….”Good Morning!!! Today, we’re so excited to show you how we have wedged a super computer into a notebook. It bends space-time and we call it MacBook Quantum Leap. Here’s Jeff to tell you more about it.”

10 Likes

I imagine a new MacBook that is designed like an iPad but with an attached keyboard. Something like Surface, or is Apple too proud to copy?

Thank you all in advance for your contributions to the Apple Refurbished store.

24 Likes

Agreed, though the iPad Air might be a “quiet” press release update, getting it on par with the mini. Likely done when the initial mini sales bump tapers off.

Hoping for a more powerful Mac Mini with more I/O and the capability to run 3 screens natively.

Still on the fence about whether I will go iPad Pro + Mini only for mobile use or settle for an MBA/MBP. If only iPadOS would match the capabilities of the new hardware.

No matter what, I expect 18 Oct to be the biggest and most exciting Apple event of the year, giving us a better clue into the future of M chips. Can only think the anxiety is bigger on “the other side”

Now waiting for the RC of Monterey to arrive before the weekend. We should see a full release within a week or so

An M1X Mac Mini would be very welcome. If reasonably priced that is.

2 Likes

If it’s good stuff I’m ordering one personally, and I’ll get another one from work in february when my work laptop is 3 years old.
The battery on my 15" work MBP is at 75% health, and the supplier still won’t fix it.

Jobs didn’t like people poking at the screen. The iPad+keyboard gets around that admonition - for about the price of a laptop.

Vertical touchscreens are assumed by Apple to lead to Gorilla Arm Syndrome.

2 Likes

Finally the day’s almost here! That said, I know the the new MBPs are going to be backordered so I’m just going to give it a couple of weeks for the dust to settle and then order mine… I figure I’ve been waiting for so long what’s a few more days with my almost entirely adequate MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports)

Any bets on order times and delivery timelines?

This event has difficult timing for me. In a month, I’m moving 4000 km. So, it will be tricky to know whether I have to order to deliver where I am now, or if I should ship to my destination…

I imagine the ordering situation will be closer to this year’s Apple Watch scenario than the iPhone scenario…

As noted in this MacRumors article, Macs have almost always been available to order on the same day as the announcement. Now, this is a weird time and I could certainly see a delay, but same day is the starting point. The fact that this is a Mac event, rather than being something where the timeline is driven by another product probably makes same-day availability more likely.

1 Like

Looking for the M1X Mac Mini to have all the ports to replace my current M1 Mac Mini

1 Like

I bought the last generation intel based Mac Mini and the performance isn’t there. Aside from the M1 Mini, does anyone have any insight into Mac Pro or iMac Pro rumors or timelines?

The MacRumors Buyer’s Guides say “don’t buy.” As in, something might be happening soon. More info at the link:

3 Likes

I’m perfectly happy with my current 4K BenQ monitor. Can’t say the same about my 2017 MBP… :wink:

1 Like

+1 about bad experience with previous generation of MBP. Crappy keyboard and stupid fan noise :man_facepalming:. Much happier with M1 MBA.

1 Like

I’m really hoping for 120hz. Its a pipe dream, but that feature would instantly sell the Mac for me. I have 144hz+ on my Windows machines and I love it, so I cannot wait for it to come to the Mac. It coming to a laptop first would be legendary.

Well, you’re in luck! :wink:
https://9to5mac.com/2021/10/12/m1x-macbook-pros-120hz-mini-led/

One of the best comments ever on these boards.

3 Likes