October 18, 2021 Apple Event

On the most recent episode of Connected they pointed out that Google has a Pixel event on Tuesday. Apple may have chosen Monday for this event so it will have a clear field in the tech press.

And they get to go first, which could steal some of Google’s spotlight.

The tech press seems to make a relatively big deal about new Pixels.

1 Like

Well, where are you looking? Just curious…

I often see a lot of discussion on 9to5Google and Chrome Unboxed.

Both media outlets also have YouTube channels with comments enabled on all videos, so there’s that.

You said that you often go on a message board for Android enthusiasts and frequently notice how nobody’s excited for product launches, correct?

I was just suggesting that you might want to look at the larger picture here.

Still, it depends on where you look. Certain brands are overshadowed by others depending on which message board you’re looking at.

I don’t think these companies are too bothered about enthusiast forums for launch dates.

What they want is to get a decently sized article on mainstream media, and not be squeezed out by a simultaneous story on a competitor.
So, 24h spacing is a polite distance to keep.

3 Likes

A “sub-$5000 external display”. Like these are normal prices. Seriously. Just did a search for “best monitor 2021”, and what showed up ranged between (roughly) $150 and $1500. Okay, a truly special monitor for very special purposes may be more expensive than that. But unless you really need something like that, anything above $2000 for a computer monitor is outrageous.

If you can afford it or really need it, and want to sponsor the fruit company from Cupertino (and Tim’s bonuses) there’s nothing wrong with buying such a " sub-$5000" monitor of course.

I’m giving @ChrisUpchurch credit for being facetious, and assuming his comment is more a snarky note based on the current price of the XDR. From what I’m told, that monitor is actually competitively priced for the niche it competes in - although it’s beyond ridiculous for the average user.

Historically, Apple’s last monitor was a 27", and was something like $1000. I couldn’t imagine any new Apple consumer-level monitor being too much more than that. I would expect any new monitor to be the price of whatever the lowest-end “big” iMac is, minus some amount due to the processor/RAM/etc. not being necessary. And it would shock me if that was over $1500 or so - but time will tell.

And yes, that would still be more expensive than many viable third-party options. But some people just want their nice Apple monitor. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not facetious, exactly, just an acknowledgement that while a non-Pro XDR monitor form Apple from Apple will be (hopefully lots) cheaper than the Pro Display XDR, it’s not going to be inexpensive. Apple sells it’s current non-XDR monitor solution, the LG UltraFine 5K, for $1299. I would be shocked in an Apple display using the same panel the put in the upcoming big iMac comes in at less than that, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a fair bit more.

Are other reference monitors just as expensive?

Is it possible with LCD technology ? It’s not only 120 Hz but a range from 10 to 120 with OLED screens until now.

Yes. The iPad Pro uses a 120hz mini-LED display.

Yes, both LCD displays and Mini-LED displays can run at an invariable frame rate of 120Hz.

I have no idea. The shops I visit (online) do sell a broad range of monitors, but nothing even close to $5k. A pro-photography shop I just visited had 1 (one) monitor for slightly less than $4500 (The EIZO CG319X 31 inch monitor) and 2 around $3000. But that was really all they had labeled “pro”.

Which doesn’t mean they don’t exist obviously.

No, they’re even more expensive. And Apple’s monitor isn’t as good. You can check out

Apple’s Pro Display XDR seems targeted at an “in-between” niche of people who want/need something considerably better than the typical desktop stuff, but not as fancy as the high-end reference monitors.

Yeah, that’s what I figured. :slight_smile:

Same-same. :smiley: (20 characters)

Please DO NOT KILL the Touchbar.

The people who don’t like it are too vocal online. The ones who loved it really utilized it. For me, it’s an accessibility feature and had made my life and hands (less pain) so much better.

4 Likes

I don’t want it to go, but it sounds like Apple has had enough with it.

Computer Clan in particular is quite “vocal” about the removal of the Touch Bar.
https://twitter.com/thecomputerclan/status/1401035747164098561?s=20
https://twitter.com/thecomputerclan/status/1446298892698591233?s=20

1 Like