Peek Performance

So is it safe to say that the Mac Studio and Studio Display is the 27-inch iMac replacement/upgrade?

Ordered a Mac Studio: M1 Max (32 core GPU), 64GB, 4TB SSD. Given that my iMac died yesterday, this is pretty much a no-brainer. In the rush I somehow missed adding Apple Care+, so I’ll have to go back and do that.

Where I really went a little nuts was on the display side. I’ve been running a 5K iMac with two external 4K monitors since 2017 and loving the huge amount of space. However, it always bothered me that the Dell monitors didn’t match the panel in the iMac and just generally didn’t look as good. So, I went ahead and ordered three Studio Displays. Yeah, that’s basically setting my wallet on fire, but I figure I can use these for a good, long, time.

8 Likes

Dude, you HAVE TO post pics when you have your new gear all set up.

HAVE. TO. :wink:

8 Likes

pretty sure you have 60 days to add AppleCare after you get the Mac. At least that was the deal on my new MBP. So maybe you don’t have to loose your place in line?

1 Like

Interestingly, Apple no longer seems to list the Intel 27" iMac for sale on the website. I wouldn’t be surprised if they bring it back (an iMac Pro is rumored for 2023), but for now, if you want a “Pro” desktop, for less than $5000, the Mac Studio is it.

1 Like

No worries. I’ll definitely post the Al Gore pic.

3 Likes

It looks like the display only has one input? Does anyone know if it’s compatible with a PC?

Many people have been working from home for 2 years and Apple doesn’t think to add at least two inputs? This would have been an instant buy for me but I’ve got a work laptop and my Mac.

Clearly an A2+ AppleSoft reference - PEEK(PERFORMANCE)

So is it just me or is the only keyboard for the studio the one with the added keys and num pad? I want the smallest tiny keyboard I can find as my mouse is on the right side and I’m very mouse dependent. Worst case I’d lve one where I could decide to put the num pad etc. on the left. I still miss by switchboard for that very reason.

My only remorse would be that it’s not enough… :laughing:

You can buy the non-numpad Magic Keyboard (including the TouchID model) and use it with any M1 Mac. You just don’t get the black keycap color option. That’s what I’ve done.

1 Like

Ever the cynic, I must say I was impressed.

They also cut down on the zooming around campus and the dance numbers, which was a good thing.

Probably not buying anything myself. The space heater’s still running fine (though Monterey has started crashing again).

one with Touch ID. The other one does not list the new macs as an option

I am confident enough that it will be compatible that I’ve already ordered one. :wink:

I trided to edit the message but I can’t . the one with touch ID says ok but the one without does not.

So they’ve dropped the 27" iMac and are saying the replacement is Mac Studio and the 27" Studio display. Well, the 5K 27" studio display is only $100 less expensive than a the 5K 27" Intel iMac started at. And the combination of a Mac Studio (base model), Studio display, keyboard and mouse, all of which you need to make a complete system, costs about $4k. That’s basically a 2x jump in price over the iMac.

There is a major gap between the 24" iMac (which uses the base M1 and is limited to 16GB RAM) and the 27" Studio setup. And unfortunately my needs seem to fall into that gaping hole. Luckily my Intel iMac does what I need now.

4 Likes

Interesting that the Mac Studio has more Thunderbolt ports than any previous Apple Silicon Mac (4 on the M1 Max, 6 on the Ultra).

Also interesting:

Size and Weight

• Height: 3.7 inches (9.5 cm)
  • Width: 7.7 inches (19.7 cm)
  • Depth: 7.7 inches (19.7 cm)
  • Weight (M1 Max): 5.9 pounds (2.7 kg)
  • Weight (M1 Ultra): 7.9 pounds (3.6 kg)

The M1 Ultra version weighs two pounds more. Differences in the cooling system? From the presentation, it seems like the entire top half of the enclosure is fans and a big heatsink.

Apple naming strikes again. How is “ultra” better than “max”? :slight_smile:

Maybe “max” is not short for maximum but is, rather, just someone’s name?

1 Like