Personal email address domains?

Plenty of data leaks to get email addresses from?

I took advantage of the Fastmail deal via 1Password and signed up Fastmail for 2 years. I then connect Fastmail to the domain name that I purchased. I did not go for any domain that link to my first name or last name. However, I can easier create an email with firstname.lastname@mydomain.com using the Fastmail set up. The beauty of using the combined 1Password / Fastmail is that I can generate numerous masked email addresses. See this link

I have a domain with Godaddy. They have a email forwarding feature with a catch all function. That means if I go to walmart.com, I can register myself as walmart@mydomain.com and it will fwd to gmail. That basically gave me the flexibility to create any email base on the site I am going to for example, apple@mydomain.com, navyblue@mydomain.com.

But wouldn’t you then also get a mail I sent to topre.i.am.going.to.spam.you@mydomain.com?

I think one advantage of Masked Email is that it filters: only email to addresses that you created (not the sender) will end up in your inbox.

Hmm, you are right. In practice though, I have not received any spam mail so far.

hey all, as we continue discussing this topic, a thought occurred to me……for those who have gone down this rabbit hole.

What are the pros/cons of connecting your personal domain for email to either……

G Suite
Fastmail
iCloud+

Do any of these options have a limit on e-mail inbox size?
Is there a way to not have it capped at like 15GB ?

GSuite (Workspace now, I guess) gives you 30 GB. It also provides you with access to Calendar, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Sites, Meet, etc. — essentially the whole Google universe. And I actually use those things. So for me, $6/month for Google’s offering is a better deal than Fastmail’s $5/month for mail and calendar.

iCloud+ doesn’t have those things, either (they’re also not great about mail rules, as @RosemaryOrchard has pointed out). A pity, because I already have Apple One Premier, anyway, so I could save $6/month otherwise.

You may find the most recent episode of Automators really helpful in deciding which provider to go with:

1 Like

It’s all broken down over here, too:

2 Likes

One thing both Fastmail and iCloud do well is work with the iOS/MacOS standard mail client in a reliable way. I have created an entire workflow based on liking out my e-mail from mail to notes or reminders and then filing the message away. Google kind of forces your hand to use their app to get push notifications or a 3rd party client which stores your credentials and data in order to get that function. Ironically Fastmail new tech that apple supports does a better job of syncing compared to iCloud.

what is this new Fastmail tech you are referring to? Sounds interesting.

I also agree, out of the many email providers I have used over the years, Fastmail works the best with the Apple mail app.

JMAP Fastmail | We're Making Email More Modern with JMAP

As far as I can tell or have read, I do not believe Apple Mail app supports JMAP. I could be wrong here

Thought they were the only one to use it…. Maybe not and they are just better :slight_smile:

Regardless, I agree, Fastmail works better than iCloud mail on the Apple Mail app on macOS and iOS

1 Like

JMAP is basically unused. Great idea, no market power.

1 Like

Hmm, I am curious about the workflow as well as credential/data. For my current process, I have several e-mail accounts for the various “hats” I wear (Diocese, Parish, Organizations, etc) All in all, I have about 20 e-mail accounts (some @gmail and the rest G Suite). Regardless of the e-mail account, personal, work, etc. I use the Spark Client for iOS and MacOS to bring everything all in together. I don’t use the Google app because of the limit of accounts on there. I stopped using the Mail app years ago, because I wasn’t able to do what I wanted and never re-visited it again.

If I go the personal email domain route, and still use Spark, is this personal domain even worth the effort since credentials and what not would (potentially) be stored on their server??

JMAP is used by 1Password for Fastmail integration to offer Masked Emails.

You have to trust the app/developer…… most do trust Spark and they come from a reputable company so you are prop okay.

I have myfirstname@mylastname.net for the over 20 years, and my family members have the same. The issue I didn’t think of, is my daughters who are now married and may not want to use their maiden names as their email domains since their last names did change with marriages.

According to https://haveibeenpwned.com, its been compromised over 30 times. So I am now using Anonaddy aliases with a different domain that I own.

For those close to me, I am using myfirstname@mylastname.me. Every other online activity is getting its own email address using Anonaddy and it’s own password. The downside is I have signed for a lot of ’stuff’ over the years over many websites, so changing over to my new system is taking longer than I expected.

I’ve wanted to move to Fastmail, but its too expensive to host for me and my 4 other family members, so for now I am on Mailbox.org.