[Poll] What is your primary browser on macOS?

Is handoff not available with browsers besides Safari on macOS as well? I remember using it between Vivaldi (macOS) and Safari (iOS).

Truthfully, I donā€™t know. I was making an assumption based on using Safari 99.9% of the time. I have never checked to see if other browsers are available via handoff. That is a good question.

Leaving this here in case itā€™s useful to anybody else. You can still use handoff between iOS Safari and your macOS browser even if you donā€™t use Safari on macOS:

Not sure whether it works if youā€™re not using Safari on iOS, I find the other iOS browsers to be subpar and donā€™t have them installed to test out at the moment.

4 Likes

Safari, best integration with my Apple eco system.

Safari works for me in 99,9% of the cases, otherwise itā€™s Firefox, Opera and Chrome.

Does Vimium work there? Vimari has such a problem in recognizing text inputs that I ended up disabling it after the Xth time I accidentally refreshed a page when typing something.

Vimium does not have this issue neither on Edge or Chrome.

It might be that many use Chrome but not as their primary browser.

Iā€™m currently using Brave as my primary because Safari is too buggy. It fails to fully load a lot of pages and nothing, including a clean install of Monterey on my M1 MBA has helped.

I use Chrome for Gmail and Google stuff.

My experience here mortos @anon20961960ā€™s: everyone I know whoā€™s not very technical is either on Chrome or Edge (just because itā€™s the new Windows default).

1 Like

Vimium works with few flaws. Custom mappings work. Capital F key to open in new tab wonā€™t work. Sometimes f key to open in current tab wonā€™t trigger the yellow characters overlay (in my case only happen in page with too many link such as Google / DuckDuckGo / YouTube). I tried both Chrome and Firefox version of Vimium, same behaviors.

1 Like

Chrome & Chromium based browsers make up about 70% of the total used worldwide. They may not be the most efficient but they ā€œjust workā€. Because web developers make sure their sites work with the leader.

Just like they make sure they work with Safari on IOS.

https://gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share

3 Likes

Right now itā€™s Firefox, but Iā€™ve used them all plus a few that arenā€™t listed. In a month, it could be something different. Iā€™d like to stay with Safari, but there are always drawbacks that pop up and make me change to something else.

I can confirm handoff works for non-safari browsers on both iOS and mac. I use Firefox (mac) and edge (iOS) and handoff works

1 Like

Iā€™m using Safari for personal browsing.

Ferdi for work mail, calendar, slack, and the rest of corporate tools that usually end up in a gazillion of tabs.

MS Edge for work browsing, mainly Google docs.

Looks like Iā€™m the only Edge user then :joy:

Lack of plug ins on Safari, especially something like SwitchyOmega makes it unusable for me.

One difference Iā€™ve noticed between browsers is the behaviour of pinned tabs.

In Safari (and Orion, it seems) pinned tabs work across different windows, while Chromium based browsers have their own different set of pinned tabs on each window. I find the former much more convenient. Suppose itā€™s due to the underlying API of the browser engines.

I use Microsoft Edge for work-stuff ā€“ Google Drive, Canvas, Helpdesk tickets, and Microsoft 365. For my own stuff, I feel I end up changing browsers quite often ā€“ mostly on whims. This week itā€™s Safari, last week it was Firefox, the week before that was Brave.

Fun survey. I have all the browsers going on some level for work, but for browsing, I like Safari for the minimal experience and the battery life (switched to it for daily driving from Chrome a few years ago.) Iā€™ve found that over-optimizing a browser with plugins just feeds Internet addiction, and since so many forums have added decent keyboard shortcuts, I donā€™t have as much of a need for time-saving enhancements of the sites I visit. An ad-blocker and a custom CSS plugin gets me pretty farā€“that said I miss uBlock Origin.

Iā€™m trying Orion and feels just like safari but with chrome and firefox extensions. yay!!

1 Like

For Home:
#1) Brave - for security, speed and b/c of the variety of plugins available to Chromium-based browsers (ā€œPrint Friendly & PDFā€ and ReviewMeta are not available in Safari)
#2) Safari - because itā€™s otherwise good for many reasons already mentioned

For Work:
Microsoft Edge - because work does not allow Brave and I can still get the extensions I need

Never:
Google Chrome, because:
a) why would I ever trust google with anything of mine? (Search is via Duck Duck Go or Brave search).
b) Keystone, google Chromeā€™s auto-update mechanism is installed without notification, and has a very aggressive update cycle and can use a huge amount of system resources. There are workarounds now, but this just gives me a reason to refer back to reason ā€œa.ā€

1 Like

Safari, because it is there and does all I need of a browser. But I have Firefox as a backup in case it doesnā€™t work for some site.

1 Like

I canā€™t believe it! A browser Iā€™ve not heard of, let alone tried. I checked the website and it looks like theyā€™re on the road to iOS and iPadOS versions. Going to give it a try.