[Poll] What is your primary browser on macOS?

Exact same as @tomalmy: Safari, because it is there and does all I need of a browser. But I have Firefox as a backup in case it doesn’t work for some site.

2 Likes

Def try it out. You don’t even need to wait for the invite. There are direct download links to the dmg file available on some forums. I couldn’t find it again, but that’s how I got it, instead of waiting for 3 weeks for the invite. Anyway, I’m actually loving it. The sleek design of safari and the power of chrome extensions. What else do we need! The in-built ad-blocker is really powerful too

Safari. Works fine for my needs & I can’t be bothered to try anything else.

I see some of the sites that have it. Do you get updates even though you’re not on the official beta or do you just replace the unofficial one with the one you get through the invite when it comes?

I found it on Reddit, here. User 9DD90 said the message from Orion (Kagi) said the link can be shared. It looks like when I installed it, it immediately installed an update.

Interested to try it.

This is a very elementary question, but it has been preventing me from using any browser apart from Safari for any length of time. I use Little Snitch, and in browsers apart from Safari it will pop up with a message asking for permission to open any new webpage. This quickly becomes very tiresome. How do I prevent it from happening? Do I have to disable Little Snitch for that particular browser?

In my belated defense, Your Honor, I am now trying to use Firefox as my daily driver when I’m not doing web dev. Safari doesn’t cut it for me, but I do acknowledge that Chrome has issues — which is roughly like saying the moon has craters. Also, this from the Fathom Analytics folks might be of interest:

2 Likes

Apple Pay and integration with other Apple tech, like iCloud tabs, etc. Also, uses fewer resources than Chrome or Firefox.

I could’ve sworn that you’d posted it before, so forgive me if I’m missing it somewhere - but which ad blocker are you using?

I use 1Blocker and Wipr in tandem on macOS and iOS Safari.

Edit: apparently last time I answered this, I was only using Wipr on macOS, over a year ago. It’s good to get the record updated!

I’ve used Little Snitch for a very long time and I don’t remember ever being asked about opening web pages in any browser. I looked at my rules (there’s no mention of any browser) and my preferences (nothing there, either). In Preferences > General > Operation Mode, I do have Silent Mode - Allow Connections. I go look at the rules every few days just to see what’s been allowed, but I not seen where it has allowed any suspicious access.

Sorry I can’t be of more help.

Same reason I’d give (posterity and all) were I to climb Mt. Everest…

Nothing short of terrific!

I just changed my default browser to Brave , after reading this article that I can disable the crypto reward program

I am currently testing Vivaldi as my work stuff browser and I have to say that it’s implementation of tab groups is pretty nice.

Also, it does not pin tabs across windows but comes very close as you can add an URL to the panel and have the same bookmark available in all of the windows. Great for adding Google Cloudsearch for quick reference.

2 Likes

I love the tile tabs solution in Vivaldi, allowing me to have 2 instances of Teams running side by side…One for meetings and one for chat and calendar. Then I setup another 2 tiled tabs with Outlook mail and calendar side by side

Also, it has an effective Trash for deleted bookmarks. I ditched Google Chrome only for that.

Safari, sync bookmarks across, iMac, iPhone, iPad and macAir (my only iCloud usage) I’m used to the tabs and bookmark organization and like them. I also like to poke at various government and business sites that in the past required MS Exploder and point out that it didn’t work on my machine (being charitable, IMO it never worked on Windows either) and so for accessibility they needed to support me.

My Firefox install is an old rev because I use a deprecated and now not allowed extension to do most of the SQLite quick look stuff and so can’t upgrade it so it doesn’t work for browsing.

My attitude is that if a web site can’t support Safari I probably don’t need to waste my time there. I can find equivalent info from some other place where I don’t have to intall some new browser to read it.

1 Like

+1

(post must be at least twenty characters)

my experience is that some financial sites just would not work on Safari. Sure, you can choose the service from another financial company but seems a bit much for the Internet browser to become the deciding factor to select the company

1 Like