POLL: What is your task manager of choice?

Yes, there is a two-way sync. You can add/modify from either app. It seems to sync quickly every time I’ve tried it (I use Cloudkit for NotePlan sync).

1 Like

I was afraid you’d say that. :slightly_smiling_face: I may give it a trial run but I’m disinclined to pay $60/year unless it provides features significantly more robust than what I can accomplish with the default apps. It is worth a free trial to check it out given the rave reviews.

1 Like

That’s always been my sticking point with Noteplan – not just a subscription price but a high one.

That said, I’ve been playing with the trial and it is hitting a sweet spot for me. And it’s come a LONG way since I last used it back on version 1. They (or he) has really done a good job in adding to it without stepping away from his initial conceit.

Almost makes me wish there was more in SetApp I would use to justify the cost. But right now it would just be that and Mindnode.

I don’t care so much for the gamification (and thus have it turned off), but Todoist is the task manager that clicks with my brain the best. I was on Things for a while, but I tried Todoist and I found that inputting tasks, organizing them, and scheduling them had much less friction to it, even if the app itself isn’t super pretty.

1 Like

I may watch a few YouTube videos and I may give it a short trial but I doubt that I will find something so compelling that I’m willing to invest $60 a year in the app. Like I said above, it would have to offer features and provide workflows significantly better than what I’m able to accomplish with my current default apps to justify any subscription, let alone one that high. But, again, given the rave reviews, I will at least give it a careful look.

I revived this thread with some thoughts after reading this comment.

Sorry about that! :wink: If you decide to try it, let us know what you think. NotePlan, like every other app, isn’t for everyone. And it’s definitely hard to compete with the price of the default apps, especially if they’re working well for you.

and @grs I spent some time giving NotePlan 3 a closer look through YouTube. I’m not going to download a trial. It is a fine program but there are not enough standout features to justify disrupting my workflow, which is working extremely well, and certainly not enough in the program given my needs to justify a $60/year subscription. So, I’m going to resist the incessant siren call to try new apps. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I’ll co-sign. Tried it out again tonight for the first time in maybe a year and almost immediately remembered why it’s not for me. After spending so much time in Craft and Notion, thinking through a directory structure for meeting notes just felt too Byzantine. And I found the task structure visually overwhelming, but it didn’t provide enough tools to make that visual overload worth it.

I’m so glad this app exists for those of you it clicks with, though. That all being said, I’m still happy with Omnifocus (even if I have nightmares about v4’s design) and Craft in tandem.

Thanks for the nudge to try something new to me, as always.

1 Like

I had a similar experience with Todoist. The gamification aspect, while fun at first, can get unhealthy if you allow it to take over. But it was Todoist that helped me figure out how to organise myself. I eventually switched to Reminders because I realised that I’d simplified my task management to the point where Todoist was overkill for my needs.

I always tend to make things too complicated. I really enjoy trying new tools and leaning more software.

As much as I like NotePlan and think it’s great tool, I’m going back to Reminders and Fantastical along with Bear for notes. Trying to remember to keep things simple, for I don’t have any need for more complication.

3 Likes

I’m usually relieved when I decide that I don’t need an app or that it doesn’t work well for me, because it’s one less thing on my to-do list (learning a new app).

4 Likes

I think there are lower-priced subscription levels for NotePlan. I pay the $60 gladly. The developer works hard and updates the app with significant features almost every month. Compared to the snail’s pace of Things and OmniFocus, it is a welcome change. I want him to make money so he will keep improving the software.

2 Likes

I’ve been trying to simplify as well. Right now I’m down to Todoist for tasks and Evernote for notes, and I’m trying to stick to just these two because I find I know both tools fairly well, they’ve been around awhile, and they work on anything with a browser.

1 Like

I know I’m over a year late, but I use both OmniFocus and Due. And am so THANKFUL for MPU for turning me on to Due (Found OmniFocus well before I found MPU).

2 Likes

I use Reminders to prompt me to do my physio exercises every two hours and Alarms on the Clock app for everything else that is time sensistive — right on cue the one for breakfast just sounded (I was a heavy drugs regime from my hospital consultant and needed to make sure I ate before talking some the pills and can’t be bothered to alter that since I finished that treatment). Occasionally I will set reminders in Calandar too but not often.

Rarely I use Obsidian’s task list plugin to track completion of certain project goals.

I tried Things again today. I love how Things looks better with less in it. I feel like, because of that, it rewards you for getting things done. Omnifocus, on the other hand, looks great with more in it, so it visually rewards you for usage, but not for completion.

Anyway, I made it 1 day before I needed to use the attachments feature, and then I was right back at Omnifocus. Go figure.

2 Likes

Similar experience here. Looks nice, but as a Todoist user with natural language input, there was way too much clicking around.

1 Like

Jibun Techo Biz B6 Slim paper planner
(the link is for April start, though I use January start) for weekly appointments
Reminders for repeating events and shopping/parts lists
Bear 2 for task lists for work, church and personal.

My task tracking journey over the years has gone something like this: paper lists → hipster pda → remember the milk → todoist → things 3 → splitting work to org mode and personal to apple reminders → personal back to things 3 (work still in org) → everything in org mode with separate views for personal and work.

The thing that still amazes me is that the “system” I use works well with any and all of these tracking methods. Ended up in org mode because it’s the most sustainable tool for my use going forward.

This quote from Paul Ford helped guide my thinking in that regard:

“Emacs is hard to learn, and Org mode is harder, but taken together they offer a sustainable way for me to do things. I’ve used Emacs for decades and it’s possible I will continue to use it until I die; it is a lifelong piece of software.” (1)

Both the BeOrg and PlainOrg apps on my iThings made it possible to use org mode on all of my computing devices.

(1) Uses This / Paul Ford

1 Like