Pour one out for Quorm

17 Likes

Hehehe I tried to do this yesterday, but it came out as “I noticed you’ve stopped heeding all of my advice as your professional contractor, and now you’re stressed out, don’t remember any details of the project, and don’t trust me to accurately explain why we are doing things the way we are doing them. Is that accurate?”

Anyway, didn’t exactly go well. It’s been a ridiculous week.

4 Likes

Hmm, part of me thinks that it could have been worse still the other way!
Anyway, I can share the sentiment of it having been a ridiculous week…so I hope you have a great weekend.

1 Like

It took me a long time, (I actually have a grey beard!), to learn handle these situations. And when I can, I try to phrase my comments such that we become collaborators and not adversaries. I am not always successful (I have tendencies toward sarcasm). :slight_smile:

So in review meetings instead of, “This is incomplete and won’t work”, it is “This is a start, let’s make it better”. It doesn’t always work and is increasingly difficult when dealing with the same idiot over and over and …

And some times the problem is me.

As for the trigger which begat to this thread, perhaps, “Hey, I get where you are coming from, no one wants to be taken advantage of. But perhaps you didn’t realize … paid support … labor of love …”. And so forth. (For the record, I saw nothing offending in the post when I read it.)

My bachelors degree is in physics. And I went to a heavy duty science and engineering school. And we thought nothing of pointing out when someone was wrong. It was the culture. And people wanted to know that, as they wanted to be right. And in engineering there usually is a definite right answer.

Needless to say, this did not go over well in business nor personal relationships!

6 Likes

One thing that I’ve (finally, and hopefully) learned is that if I’m entering into a disagreement with someone, say as little about them as possible. Instead, talk about the thing that’s the subject of the disagreement. The big hint to me that I’m on the wrong track is the use of any personal pronouns.

8 Likes

For anyone beating themselves up still … something I need to remember.

3 Likes

Good point- a personal focussed retort is classified as a Ad Hominem Logical Fallacy.

And boom… I actually got to use that knowledge bomb within my natural lifetime :joy:

1 Like

I do this too, except I force my self to write out emotionally-charged responses in longhand on a sheet of paper or in my Rocketbook notepad and usually that takes the steam out of my desire to fire out a blistering response, lol

1 Like

I heard someone recommend to not fill in the “to:” field until you’re sure you’re going to send it to prevent accidental emails. Not specifically about this technique, but in any situation. If the to field is blank, you won’t be able to accidentally send it before you’re finished writing. Not many email clients have an “undo” for sending email. And the one that I know of only have it for a few seconds.

5 Likes

@MacSparky has opined that the proper order for writing an email is:

1. Attachments
  2. Body
  3. Signature
  4. Subject line
  5. Address

This helps prevent forgetting to attach something, makes for better subject lines since you’ve already written the message, and as @safetypin said, avoids premature sending.

16 Likes

Right. No email client can actually undo an email send. They can just delay sending ling enough to allow you to click “undo”. Which is why you only get a few seconds. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh yes, I follow this too. But even better is to write your email in another app. I mostly craft my emails in Drafts. Once I review it, then I copy it into Mail to send.

3 Likes

I should try this! (I must also try the Rocketbook!) :grinning:

1 Like