Power adapters for Botswana, Namibia, and Johannesburg?

My wife and I are planning a 25th anniversary vacation with safaris in Botswana and Namibia, and stops in Johannesburg. We live in the US and all our electronics is of course built for here.

What power adapters and converters will we need for our iPads, iPhones, MacBook Pro and other electronics – cameras, I think – and electrical equipment such as my wife’s travel curling iron?

We probably won’t take the MacBook Pro but I figure I should ask about that anyway in case I change my mind.

Thanks!

1 Like

ZA uses plugs of type D, M, and N with 230V and 50 Hz.

You need something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTCEAQ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2dmTCb2JT36TN

2 Likes

Congratulations on 25 years together.

2 Likes

You can probably get by with standard two-pin continental European plugs if you already have those adapters - you can easily pick up a power strip in the airport in Joburg with a couple of those as output and an SA plug for input.

1 Like

Basically, Botswana uses the UK standard plug (type G) and has 240V. SA and Namibia use the same voltage but an M or D type plug.

You may find this site useful to get full information on plug/voltage standards in any country in the world:

I seem to remember that all Apple products support dual voltage i.e. 110/240-50V.

Your other electronics would either have to be travel versions, with dual voltage, or you’ll have to take a power converter with you.

1 Like

The South African - three round pin - plug is HUGE, by the way.

In my experience hotels tend to have South African plus Europe plus USA sockets above the desk. But you won’t get that far without having a South African one.

1 Like

Hmmm… the only place we’re staying in South Africa is at the airport hotel to catch connecting flights. Might be able to get buy without a South African adapter.

1 Like

Hotel might even be willing and able to lend you one.

But Namibia uses the same plugs (used to be a dominion of South Africa).

1 Like

That’s two countries sorted then!