Predictions for Things 4

Any the total for them, one by one, is $80. How much is an annual subscription to OmniFocus? Spoiler, not less than $80.

I don’t use OmniFocus. I am on a fixed income and thought it was high. It is a terrific app but I don’t use it much.

You can buy one-time licenses for Omnifocus. Subscriptions are optional for those who prefer it.

2 Likes

I hesitated to even mention OmniFocus as I wasn’t attempting to call out OmniFocus pricing as high, but rather pointing out that Things, one of OmniFocus’ main competitors, has been quite inexpensive over its (nearly) 15 year history. The more important point is the value received, because if the software doesn’t provide value then any price is too high.

4 Likes

Omnifocus user here. The pricing of nearly all the Omnigroup’s software is outrageously high.

2 Likes

OmniFocus user here. “Outrageously high” is a subjective opinion. OmniFocus 3 came out in May 2018. The total price for iPad, iPhone, and Mac is $174.98.

On May 2023, it will be 5 years. We’ve seen the addition of OmniFocus for Web and Apple Watch introduced as well.

$174.98 / 5 years = approximately $35.00 per year

Did I get $35 worth of value per year when I used OmniFocus? Yes, I did. I made a lot of money in relation to how much was invested in this product. @GregJones stated it perfectly. Did we get value from this app? My own use case says yes. It more than made up for its initial high cost.

For some users, that might be a hard “no”. I have a subscription to Adobe Cloud. I made more than enough money to cover that subscription. Some users might be better off with an app with a lower price entry point that will suit their needs.

I do imagine that when I finally retire, I might be able to just use Apple Reminders for my imagined retired lifestyle. But for now, OmniFocus has provided enough returns for my workload.

The pricing of nearly all the Omnigroup’s software will indicate the market it is intended for.

The price for Things 3 for iPad, Mac, and iPhone is approximately $80.00. It is a great package for users have a different profile for their task management needs. Nothing wrong with it.

I can either use Apple’s iWorks suite (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) or ante up for Office 365. They can go after fairly similar markets. But in my local university where I use to work, Office 365 is the standard package to use. My daughter’s high school has settled on the Google suite for their curriculum. The beauty is that there is a wide variety of apps and platforms with different price points. Use the appropriate platform for your needs.

11 Likes

I’m testing Goodtask in place of Things 3 and Due. Goodtask is kinda fiddlie. Lots of settings making it confusing getting started. But once you get it setup to your liking it’s great. Far more customizable than Things.

1 Like

I had the same thought, but I was wrong!

When I was working (CEO equivalent) Omnifocus was a life saver. it was the only way I could make sure I never lost anything, but once I was through the learning curve it was easy to set it up so that what I needed to see, I could see and I could trust that everything else was there and would appear when I needed it.

When I retired I used Things, which was fine for handling the day to day, but I had lots more things that I planned than I could do straight away and many more things that were ongoing or aspirations that I wanted to keep aware of, but not action. I ended up coming back to Omnifocus because I could make perspectives that would keep projects making progress and show me opportunities to do things without having to give due dates or meet deadlines and the in-built reviews helped me not to lose anything. Ominfocus helped me to move from “getting things done” to “not letting things drift” but has the power to do both well.

2 Likes

Sigh, I guess my hopes of a simpler life post-retirement may be dashed. Of course, it all depends on what I’m willing to do in the next phase of Life. Apple Reminders has improved but it might not be capable enough of handling the various personal projects I will probably keep to stay busy.

But that’s the beauty of OmniFocus, it can ramp up or ramp down to give me the flexilbility I need. I’ll know when I finally cross that bridge!

1 Like

That’s the right posture.

2 Likes

I guess we are still waiting…

I also predict a move to subscription pricing. I’ve been using the app for many years and although the upfront cost was high for a task manager (MacOS, iOS, iPadOS), the cost is very low on an annualized basis…< $20/year since I’ve been using it?

Whatever the pricing plan is, I will upgrade/subscribe. It’s an incredible app.

Attachments
Nested Projects
Diary integration for day specific tasks and information

Attachments would be great

1 Like

Would be great but might cost them more money so I see Things moving to subscription :slightly_frowning_face:. At that point either I start using Reminders and get into self hosting lol.

1 Like

They could offer the app for a one-time fee and have subscriptions for storage.

I really wish they do that. I just want status quo :smile:

The ability to complete a repeating task earlier than expected - annoys me frequently with Things

4 Likes

I am using Omnifocus and leaving it. It uses attachments. It is indeed handy.
But a proper way of dealing with our info is to have a place for all notes (evernote, Goodnotes, you name it), another for Files (any cloud) and another for tasks. If you mix things up, you don’t know where to find what…

So the link to file feature that Things propose is good imo.

Attaching files in OmniFocus - Support - The Omni Group.

OmniFocus allows you to attach the entire document or an alias to the file. The alias is a Finder link that will point to the original file.

You can also attach URL links to connect to a file.

1 Like