Predictions for Things 4

I work a part time job and also do independent contracting for multiple clients. On the days where I am going to the job office in the afternoon I like to avoid seeing job office tasks until I am physically at the office. I therefore set my areas (I have an area per client) to have a tag that is identical to the name of the area. I also set each of my independent contracting clients’ areas to have a tag titled “clients”. That way on a Monday morning I can just filter the today list by the “clients” tag and it removes all of the personal stuff, and all of the tasks for my part time job (that I can’t really do until I’m at the office on Monday afternoon).

I also have a tag for a person that I work with quite a bit at one of my clients. Any tasks where I need to talk to them about it at my Friday phone call with them get tagged with their name. It doesn’t matter what project the task is in (they’ll all be the same area because it’s that one client), I can just hit that tag when I call him on Friday and run through the whole list.

I work in accounting / bookkeeping so I also have a tag for “gst” (aka VAT / sales tax). When the (every second month) deadline is coming up I can load my GST tag at any point in time and see the status of the repeating tasks across each of my clients. If I had tens or hundreds of clients I’d have practice management software to handle that, but I work basically in-house with a select number of mostly medium charity clients rather than externally across many trading business clients, so practice management software is a poor fit for me.

I have 4 areas of focus, 1 for personal items and 3 for work where I wear a few different hats. I tag the personal area as Personal and the 3 work areas as Work. This way, each task inherits this tag from the area. Then I can go into the Anytime list, filter by tag and see only my work or personal items. I do this at the start of each day when I’m deciding what to focus on at work and also when I get home to see which personal items I want to get done.

I also have a tag for Errands which I check anytime I leave home or the office for things I need to do when I’m out and about.

1 Like

But I can do that using Area too right? Have a Work area with all the work projects?

I guess so, but I think it would be too rigid for my needs. For example, one of my areas is school-related stuff (I’m a teacher). All the stuff I can only do on campus (meetings, for example) gets the @college tag, and all the school-related stuff I prefer doing on my laptop (preparing a lecture, for example) gets a @laptop tag. But like I said in an earlier post, I’m no conoisseur, I just started experimenting with tags.

That said, like Vincent pointed out, you can assign tags to your domains. That way, you could filter them more easily in the today view.

1 Like

What I’d love to see:

• Add smart text detection for task input for dates, no big deal when using keyboard, but big deal on iPhone.

• I don’t need to know that I have new tasks, make that yellow banner optional pls

• Choose to eradicate “Inbox” and just add everyhing into today

• My biggest ask - I’d like a list that shows today and upcoming in one, so I can choose to see all of my tasks, great for re-org (I open a second window on MacOS and iPad and put it side by side to work around this). This allows for drag and drop for tasks quite simply when planning the next week. See screen shot:

2 Likes

You can already get your biggest ask: Just make your photo two Things windows. One with the Today view with the sidebar, one with the Upcoming view. You can drag tasks back and forth with no problem.

1 Like

Yep sport on, that is what I do, however it would be nice if this was part of the normal product on both iPadOS and MacOS.

I setup a BetterTouchTool automation (that also uses Mosaic) to open two things windows, move them around and choose today and tomorrow.

Would be nice to not have to go to these lengths, just to see a single view of today and upcoming.

1 Like

Cultured Code just updated the Status Board on it’s website, moving this from in Alpha and coming December to in Beta coming January. Best part is the addition of a description:

“A major update for Things’ integration Apple Shortcuts, including 7 brand-new actions that give you immense power to manipulate your data.”

Kind of excited!

1 Like

I would really like a way to output records of tasks after completion. You can save a completed project to PDF, but tasks are listed in reverse chronological order and there is no way to change that. It also uses relative dates, which is the most useless thing I could think of.

I just say Sunsama and I would really like to see Things integrate time-blocking. I would be great if I could drag todos to something that integrates with Calendar or Fantastical so that I could plan out my week. Sunsama is really appealing, but it is just too expensive.

Based on nothing, I think Things 4 will be released when OF4 is released.

Just updated today to note that it’s been submitted to Apple. :slight_smile:

I think it will be rewritten as an electron app and it will be a subscription. :slight_smile:

3 Likes
  1. The ability to sort a list
  2. The ability to include custom tags into the sidebar / allow tasks to be flagged with sidebar access
  3. The ability to embed images & add attachments in a note

The end.

I really really really really really really really really hope not! That would most likely kill OS integration and make the app fairly useless for me.

3 Likes

My wish list:

• I want to check a repeating task off before its date
  • a review feature would be cool
  • smart lists

My prediction:

• Things 4 comes out right when we all give up on the likelihood of it ever coming out
5 Likes

A very Cultured Code thing to do! :grin:

1 Like

I don’t need to give them any more money. It is a lovely app ie its interface. But I paid to get it on my iPads, again for my phone, and finally for my Mac. The only way I’d be interested would be if they had ONE reasonable price for all three platforms.

They told me “No way” you could ever add photos to it.

I don’t know how Things could be more reasonably priced. It’s in year 15, IIRC version 2 was a free upgrade, version 3 was a discounted upgrade, and a first-time buyer can get all 3 platforms for a one-time total of $80 US.

3 Likes

I paid for them one by one.