Proper iPhone charging habit?

For years I have been leaving my iPhone over night on an Apple MagSafe Duo Charger.

But I’m wondering if this is correct charging practice for an iPhone these days?

Should one charge before bed time and then charge it again in the morning? Or what do people do here?

I have a suspicion that leaving it on a full charge for so long drains the battery life.

I have an iPhone 13 Mini about a 1,5 years old and it does drain pretty quickly

It shouldn’t be sitting at full health all night. It should be charging to about 80%, holding there until shortly before you usually wake up, then charging the battery to full. This pattern is fine for the battery long term.

Check that you have Optimized Battery Charging enabled in Settings > Battery > Battery Health.

4 Likes

I have an iPhone XS. It spends all night in the charger, and half the day. Maybe more than half.

It may be having difficulty making it through a full day on a charge, but I wouldn’t know because it never has to do that.

1 Like

I too have an iPhone XS. Most days it sits on a charger on my desk. I rarely charge it over night.

On a recent hiking trip in Ireland I would charge it over night, and it lasted all day. Such that I never had to use my back up battery charger.

My current Maximum Capacity is 77%. And Apple recommends that I take it in for service because of this. I doubt I will. Optimized Battery Charging is set to on.

As always, YMMV.

My phone batter is at 79% and I’m also getting the “Service” message.

I may just bring it in and do that. I need to go to the Apple Store anyway; I have some old Apple gear (not this phone–other gear) that I want to exchange for recycling or credit.

Honestly, I don’t think it matters all that much. “Optimize charging” is almost certainly better for battery health, but I think you’re probably talking about a few health percentage points either way.

Your iPhone will tell you what your battery health is, percentage-wise - what does it say?

3 Likes

Do you check this from time to time? Mine has shown the same percentage for over a year.

I don’t check it unless something seems wrong. I can say that June of 2022 I was at 79%, because I had the battery replaced under AppleCare. I believe it was 99% after replacement. Now, about 15 months later with wireless charging pretty much exclusively, I’m at 87%.

1 Like

It says 86% after about 1,5 years or so of this way of charging the device overnight on a MagSafe Duo Charger

It’s a wide range of delayed damage because the drop off “accelerates”. If you were able to baby your phone and keep your battery health at 95% after a year, you’d probably still be above 90% without optimized charging. (Most of us used to baby our phones more.)

If you had more typical use like Andreas (high eighties to low nineties) you’d be close to 80% after a year without optimized charging. If you managed to hit 85% after a year, you’d probably be well into the 70s without it.

Plus, it gives you margin in case you have another problem ((stored the phone in a warm place, too much rapid charger use, stayed on buggy iOS version.)

I had always kept my iPhone 11Pro Max charged all through the night and when ever possible I could charge. The original battery was still at 80%. I used it for 4+ years when I traded that for 14 earlier this year.

1 Like

I’m suspecting the app 1Blocker to be the cause of this so,Stine’s rapid drainage that I experience on my iPhone. I don’t see it the same though on my iPad Pro also with 1Blocker installed, albeit a much larger battery of course

I always charge my 13 Pro and Apple Watch in the morning. I put both on the charger when I get up and by the time I have eaten breakfast they are charged up to about 80%, which works fine for me.

My just-shy-of 2 year old iPhone 13 gets charged only overnight (wired charging) with Optimized Battery Charging enabled.

It’s capacity is 90%.

1 Like

I have to admit I don’t see the point of the battery health monitor. If the phone’s ability to hold a charge degrades to the point where it impairs the phone’s usefulness, that’s a problem. Until then, why worry about it?

I feel the same way about sleep monitoring. I don’t need my Watch to tell me whether I slept well, or enough.

It’s fallout from the ‘batterygate’ lawsuit several years back. The idea is pretty much as you put it: if your phone seems to have a problem, then you can check battery health to see if it might be caused by the battery, and then replace the battery instead of the whole phone.

I don’t think it is meant to be something checked regularly, though power users are going to power user. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anecdotal versus actual data. I’ll take actual every time.

While you may not find it useful, others may.

And that is the point.

Cheers.

+1

My grandfather carried a pocket watch and lived to be 100. Smart devices have definitely saved lives, like those showcased in Apple’s recent presentation. But it appears constant monitoring is also causing others to suffer anxiety about their health.

When I was first diagnosed with mild hypertension my doctor told me to check my BP once a week. He said checking it too often can cause some people to worry about normal variations and actually cause their BP to rise.

Maybe all this unprescribed health monitoring isn’t healthy for a lot of people.

3 Likes

Yep, ignorance is bliss.

1 Like

iPhone 13, bought launch week 2 years ago. Battery health 90%, maybe charged wirelessly a couple times a year. S7 watch, bought January 2022, battery health is 93%.

I charge my phone and watch when they get low. Or when I know I’ll be out of the house for a while and want to top them off. If it’s below 35%, I’ll put my watch on the charger for 15-30 minutes before I go to bed so I can track sleep, then put it back on the charger after the gym in the morning. Phone gets plugged in when I get in the car for CarPlay.

No special care taken, just plug in when I need to plug in, and I don’t obsess over it because the software and hardware already have their own “plans” for charging and it’s just not worth the effort to play games with it.

3 Likes