Recommendations: audio recording for calls on a Mac

Are they for broadcasting? Or for research purposes?

I think Audio Hijack from Rogue Amoeba is the gold standard here. It’s brilliant.

5 Likes

Right. I was going to suggest that but doesn’t Audio Hijack need an input application? (I only use it from Skype - for podcasting - so wouldn’t know if it comes with a voice recorder.)

Audio Hijack hijacks the audio of your apps and can record the inputs of a given app (say, your microphone into Skype) or several tracks separately (you microphone + the Skype outputs). I produce my own podcast like this and it works perfectly.

3 Likes

will use it as a transcribing tool and for reference to use for articles on a website.

thanks will check it. Hope I have the budget by next month.

It does seem like its the perfect app and I can use it for my podcast in a future episode. So I guess it would work on any of the apps I mentioned.

It captures the sound of any app on your Mac. I can only attest for Skype and a few legacy media players for converting very old music files, but there’s no reason why it shouldn’t work with any of the other apps you mentioned.

3 Likes

Right. But it might be all that is needed - if Audio Hijack contains a “microphone recording” start point.

See my original post: it records any stream as well as inputs. So yes, it does record your microphone, on a separate track or mixed with the rest in one global file. Check the tutorials, @ismh also did a good video explaining how he uses it.

4 Likes

I use Audio Hijack this way. It comes with a session built specifically for VOIP chat that works nicely.

3 Likes

Not exactly what you’re doing but I’m doing some video capture using OBS I ended up going free with iShowU. Instructions are here

I use Piezo https://rogueamoeba.com/piezo/
previously used Audio Hijack, but Piezo is much simpler

4 Likes

Cool it’s cheaper too.

1 Like

I agree here . I have used piezo in the past for this and works really well. I have also been looking at https://otter.ai/, for transcription, I think it needs to be able to ‘hear’ the conversation to transcribe live. I haven’t used it in anger yet, but I think you can upload your recording to get a transcription. Others may have a better idea.

1 Like

you might want to check out backtrack – it is great if you decide, right after the fact, to record a Webex, call, etc. right after you complete it.

Mark

2 Likes

Here’s the thread on transcribing

That thread took me on a trip down memory lane. Baristas Technolgies I used to use both copywrite and transcriva extensively, they unfortunately shut down at the beginning of this year.

I also used to use Audio Stretch https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/audiostretch/id571863178 for transcribing interviews. While designed for musicians I found it worked really well for audio, having the ability to slow down and backtrack by 15 secs.

2 Likes

As much as I would love to use a transcription service, it can be difficult as we often speak in a mix of English and Tagalog (our local dialect). It wouldn’t feel natural to ask an interviewee to be told to speak in English. It’s totally possible but always with a mix of a few Tagalog words throw in. We are mostly bilingual and consider English as our second language. A majority of people speaks 2-3 languages or dialect but most of us can communicate in English as compromise.

2 Likes

English and Tagalog

Android’s included app transcription is quite good, and allows as far as I remember two dialects at once.
try placing a phone close to your laptop’s speakers :slight_smile: