Reeder 5 is out

I don’t think there are new settings for gestures.

What you asked for could already be done with Reeder 4.

These are the options I have in Reeder 5:

Edit: Oh, maybe/apparently you mean in the article view, not in the article list? I don’t think there’s an option to disable that…

1 Like

Reeder (2/3/4/5) is one of my most used Apps, on iOS & macOS (except for when I used Unread for RSS on iOS).

I like Reeder so much (and the same is true for Tweetbot/Twitter) that I never check RSS feeds on my PC (only on iOS & macOS), even though I have a lifetime Feedly Pro subscription.

(I still consider that PC to be my main computer at home, though I might use my iPad Pro much more…)

I have been using Reeder since V1. Apart from ForScore for my sheet music, there is no third party app I have been using for such a long time on a regular basis with my iDevices. I have tried other RSS readers, but only to come back to Reeder again and again. I like the design and its functionality.

I do not think that is fair to say that nothing really has changed with v5. The look and feel has improved even more and there is so much attention for detail in the UI… Just yesterday I accidentally hit the “Mark all as read” option (my fault, not the UI’s fault) and Reeder presented me with a very nice looking prompt if I really wanted to do that. (Yes, that is not something earth-shattering, but it looked very nice and the functionality was very good.) Everything is smooth. The typography is excellent. It is a pleasure to read RSS content in this app.

And the biggest change with v5 is that Reeder does not need any RSS service any more to sync feeds across devices. It can do this on its own using iCloud (where do you get a free syncing service these days?). I have no idea how reliable the syncing works (I have been using FreshRSS for several years as a backbone on a self-hosted server), but it is very nice that you finally have the option to get the most out of Reeder without having to subscribe to a 3rd party service or without having to self-host a service. There is nothing wrong with RSS services, but they tend to come and go (like Fever that basically was abandoned by its developer, so it is no wonder that Reeder does not feature it prominently any longer). For me, RSS is Reeder - and it is just nice that v5 enables me to use it exactly like that. And if you want to have a syncing service like that without pushing your customers into a subscription model, there is only one way in the long run: use what your customers do have anyway - and that is iCloud.

Other new features include support for the new iOS widgets.

Silvio Rizzi is a developer you will not hear very much about. Even the app’s webpage does not reveal very much, hardly anything to be honest. There are no interviews. There are no sponsorships on podcasts. And I might be wrong, but you probably will not get too much support. But to be honest, I never needed it. The app works just fine. I do not know about it, but I would not be surprised if Silvio Rizzi does Reeder as a hobby in addition to his day job. If there is a bug, it will be addressed eventually. Reeder is an app to me that started as an amazing app when it was released in early iOS days. And it still is a great app. Yes, there are others and you even might prefer others. But my RSS app of choice always has been Reeder. It thrives just because of being good and being known for that - without heavy promotion that is.

And yes, I buy every new version to support the developer without any hesitation. But I also buy it because I have not been disappointed once with any update the developer has provided me with as a paid “new” app.

7 Likes

Thanks! I do mean the gesture in article view. I almost hate Safari View Controller with passion.

The automatic Reader View is also a very nice addition. It’s a nice update, well worth the price.

1 Like

I have been using/loving the Automatic Reader View in version 4.

Are you sure it’s new? (Maybe I misunderstand?)

Previous versions of Reeder had a Reader View, but it’s not automatic. Or if it was, it’s news to me. How did you enable it in Reeder 4? Reeder 5 allows you to set the automatic view per feed or for all feeds.

Edited to add, you are correct! I just opened Reeder 4 and tried to enable automatic Reader View the same as is done in V5 and it works. How did I nev4r know about this before? 🤦🏼

bought, installed it, love it

I’ve now removed my 3rd party feeds service (inoreader) and use icloud for the sync backend.
:slight_smile:

And as @rob said: Reeder 4 now seems really old

My path was a little different, I didn’t find Reeder until later. I started out with Newsrack (from pythonista, editorial creator OMZ), then moved to Mr.Reader when Newsrack was discontinued. When Mr. Reader was discontinued I went to Reeder, which was like going back to the stone age. I didn’t like it. No user customizable url actions and limited system shares (in Newsrack I could share articles using Applescript and Mr.Reader was the gold standard for url shares). I share and save lots of articles and Reeder was useless to me. I tried Unread and it was a little better (I did not like the early UI though and no mac version was bad). I did buy every Reeder through 4 though to support the developer and hoped it would get better. It hasn’t. When Fiery Feeds arrived, it was like the Mr. Reader had risen from the dead. FF meets what I need in my rss app. I am glad we have choices. I can see the appeal of Reeder if one only reads. It’s just too limited for me.

I would say that until this year, 99% of my rss work was done on the iPhone and iPad, but now I am spending so much time on my mac that it has become 70-80% of my rss routine.

1 Like

I exported my feeds from Inoreader into the iCloud hosted. I use Reeder across all so it works for me, not sure if it is better or even different but works well enough. Going to create a task where I export OPML once a week.

1 Like

Just curious, what do you use the OPML for?

If I want to move to another service it makes it easier.

wouldn’t that just be needed after a change then?

Sure, but given newness of how Reeder is doing things I am going to do this for a while. It’s not quite a big service, so if it goes away on the whim of a single developer I just like having the backup around.

Aha, get it now. good idea (implementing reminder now)

1 Like

Anyone have suggestions on how it would be easiest to import all my Feedbin feed accounts into the new Reeder 5 iCloud sync? My Feedbin subscription isn’t up for another 9 months, but I’d like to run them in tandem and see how well Reeder handles this.

I do not use Feedbin, but as long as you are able to export your subscriptions as an OPML file, you will be able to import this file in Reeder. :blush:

1 Like

I use Feedbin as my service. Does Reeder 5 allow you to subscribe to a feed and save that subscription to Feedbin using the share sheet ?

If you go to the Feedbin website, and then tap the “More” icon (top right) then “Import & Export”, you can save all your feeds to Files, or your local system disk. Then in Reeder, you can go to the iCloud sync account and tap the “+” button and select “Import OPML”. I did this yesterday and it worked really well. :blush:

The main thing I’m losing is the ability to have the Feedbin email address for newsletters. I may try Zapier and see if it works well enough as a substitute if the syncing is solid.

Oh, and I forgot about filters.

I was able to tap on an RSS feed, open Reeder, and then select either Feedbin or iCloud as the import option. I’m not seeing the ability to share a feed just to Reeder.

1 Like

I tried the read later function but never found a way to do mass deletes. I occasionally get behind in my reading and need a quick way to clean out the backlog.

1 Like