While back I posted negative experience of Kindle Scribe; very good reader but terrible software for note taking. Sold Scribe, started researching, took my time to find friends with e-ink tablets to experience writing on different devices to compare.
Won’t go into detailed pros & cons of different e-Ink tablets, lots of reviews can be found online. Most important criteria to me:
- security & privacy laws
- quality build, beautiful design and light weight
Settled for reMarkable and been using it extensively for 10 days, absolutely love it.
- quality of device is amazing. Beautiful design, premium look and feel, solid glass and aluminum, thin and light
- based out of Norway (EU security & privacy). I’m concerned about other brands based outside EU/USA in terms of how seriously they cater for privacy & security laws
- relatively cheap price. Do these to save more
- discount code I used for US$40 discount: Home | reMarkable
- bought Lamy EMR pen which is better yet cheaper than pens sold by Remarkable. Much cheaper pens such as Wacom One, Staedtler digital also work
- sleeve from Amazon instead of expensive ones form Remarkable. Amazon also sells folios
Amazingly, Remarkable offers full refund within 100 days if not satisfied. I’m NOT returning this!
Best tool I have for deep work, 1 of my best productivity device. I did so much deep thinking and was fully focused, distraction free, doesn’t strain eyes, doesn’t heat up, battery lasts for ages, pen doesn’t need charging or pairing. Love the “pencil scratchy feel” when writing - if you prefer a smoother ink feel then get Wacom One nibs (they are cheap) which also fit in Lamy EMR, even in Remarkable pens.
Replaces all my post-it, Moleskine planners & journals, lose paper. My desk is clean now; haven’t seen my desk tidy before! Another unexpected outcome is that it’s a great conversation starter in meetings, helps me to break the ice early with new customers.
I don’t use book folio, similar to all my Apple devices, I prefer iPhone/iPads/Remarkable to retain their design beauty instead of covered up by cases & folios. Sleeves to transport only.
Get an iPad for emails/calendars/apps/speed/… Only buy Remarkable or whatever e-ink device you prefer as a replacement for paper notebooks and you need a productivity tool for deep work, distraction free, love to think on paper (ability to undo/redo/move with digital paper), love to hand write your notes & ideas. I use Remarkable as a complementary tool to my Mac & iPads. Remarkable is amazing, productive and price that won’t break your wallet; follow what I mention above to save more $. Good luck in your productivity journey.