Reminders May Replace Things - Here is Why

I’m in more of a liaison/individual contributor role. We use MS Teams or our collaborative projects, but I’d say the linkage between Teams and Things is definitely one of the areas where task management breaks down for me.

1 Like

When I face those situations (in my case between Asana and Reminders) I just add the Asana URL to Reminders for that project or person.

Asana:

Reminders:

1 Like

Love to see that some ppl giving the onboard apps again a chance. I try to work with as much onboard apps as I can. And apps with cloud sync.

I love the reminders app.
The only think I missing at the moment is, if I could open a app if the reminder shows up. That would be cool.

And about AN, at the moment the only problems I have is that I can’t make notes around pictures or pdfs i imported. I only can do it on them itself.

Thanks for your feedback :slight_smile:

Welcome to the MPU forum!

1 Like

Re: Email to Reminders

Two options.

First one I use a lot. Highlight any important part of the email (will become the actual reminder, i use the subject a lot)…… select highlighted text and hit share. From there select reminders and boom you get what you want!

Second option: With the email open, launch Siri (voice or button) and say “remind me about this on Tuesday” and it adds reminder, with the link to email

(I also do this to send an email to notes a lot)

2 Likes

[quote=“HellsKitchenDweller, post:25, topic:25330”]
Second option: With the email open, launch Siri (voice or button) and say “remind me about this on Tuesday” and it adds reminder, with the link to email

I like this. I have an AN with a Thursday morning schedule of training with all academic staff for the year. I just selected the note and told Siri, “Remind me of this note every Thursday morning at 6:30 am.” The reminder was created with the note attached:

(I also do this to send an email to notes a lot)

How do you do that exactly?

2 Likes

I experimented with Reminders pre-iOS 15; the issue is I am used to date parsing that apps like TickTick and others use so that you can just type a task and say “on Sunday” and it sets the date for that task. Also, being able to specify which project / list while typing a task by using a signal like “~Project1” is part of my flow that apps like TickTick support. Not sure if Reminders supports all this yet. But it is getting better for sure.

Reminders has limited natural processing, see below. It does not, as far as I know, select a list with natural language.

Im also currently experimenting with Reminders and came across the issue that I can’t seem to skip a recurring task? If I delete the task it seems completely gone and not just that specific instance today. Has anyone found a good way to handle this scenario?

I’ve not had a need to “skip” a recurring task, and I have a lot of them. If I’m not going to deal with it until the next instance of the task, I simply mark it complete and wait for the next instance to appear. If I’m delaying dealing with it, say for a day, I just leave it and it shows up overdue, which is what I want.

4 Likes

I like that. I did not know that was possible. That works perfectly, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

For some reason Option #2 does not work for me. However Option #1 is a godsend in Reminders and Notes. Can’t tell you how much I love the ability to do this.

1 Like

I just tried it and it worked…. I had e-mail open and said “remind me about this” and it showed in my default reminders list with a link to e-mail. I use it a lot less than the other method so it’s been a while!

I open an email (vs highlighting in the row) and say the same thing you do. Siri comes back and asks “Remind you about what”. I’ve tried this about 2 dozen times, on multiple computers. Same behavior each time.

I should mention that I am on the latest Monterey beta, if that makes a difference.

Honestly, never tried it on Mac OS until you said this and get the same problem!

So we have different Siri’s on macOS vs iOS??

I’m running the latest version of Big Sur on the MBP and iOS 15.0.1 on iPad and iOS.

On the Mac, with an email open I say, “Siri remind me of this.” The email is added to my default list.

On the iPad and iPhone (again, iOS 15.0.1), with an email open I say, “Siri remind me of this.” Siri brings up my Reminder lists and asks me which one. This is great! I hope this comes to Monterrey on the Mac!

I create most of my Reminders in Fantastical - because of the better natural language parsing.

That certainly works but in my case I often need notes and/or emails attached to a reminder. I hope that Apple improves its natural language processing.

Thanks for this nice overview about Reminders.app in iOS15! I might give it another chance because I recently switched back to Things for its beautiful design and due dates, but it lacks several features that Reminders has such as natural language processing.

One thing that Reminders is still missing though is the quick input of tasks on the Mac with a shortcut (ideally with an hyperkey). I don’t know if an Alfred workflow exists for that, that will be great rather than going into the app all the time.

1 Like