Roam Research for thinking and knowledge management

If you add org-roam to that mix, I would totally buy you a Ko-if :slight_smile:

org-roam and DEVONthink have been recommended for the list before. They’re really cool software, but they’re really expert level due to the investment needed to learn and set them up well. That’s the only reason they didn’t make it to the list because I wanted to focus on tools with a lower barrier to entry :slight_smile:

1 Like

For those concerned with local/cloud storage…

3 Likes

Perhaps a desktop Electron app like Obsidian? Will be interested it that’s the case. I assume Roam might have more funds and staff than some of the wannabe-Roam-clones.

I have the same issue with ‘complex’ and ‘complicated’. Here’s an example from a book on complexity:

Many of the central results of complexity science are surprising; a recurring theme of this book is that simple models can produce complicated behavior, with the corollary that we can sometimes explain complicated behavior in the real world using simple models.
Downey, Allen. Think Complexity: Complexity Science and Computational Modeling . O’Reilly Media. Kindle Edition.

Surely he means “complex” when he writes “complicated.”

2 Likes

This is an excerpt taken from this article

http://ruudhein.com/data-portability

DATA EXIT STRATEGY

Planning, and testing, a Data Exit Strategy, is as important as your Backup Strategy: you don’t want to find out if it works or not by the time the rubber hits the road.

Before you commit to a tool, see what it exports how. Compare that end product to the value you hope to get from the tool; is what it exports of equal value as to what it contains, what you put it?

If not, how would you recuperate that value upon exit?

I think this makes a lot of sense in this day n age of software companies using proprietary data structures and unsustainable business models.

3 Likes

I have a cousin called Brian…

1 Like

Is Cousin Brian a Brain?

3 Likes

I went back to Dynalist for a couple of days after hearing the pricing and regretted it pretty soon. Roam is more than the sum of its parts, as mentioned earlier. The thoughtful mixture of elements makes an entry as frictionless as possible with the inconceivable potential to expand and evolve your own knowledge system. I am right now willing to pay the high price for the returns I am seeing.

2 Likes

Drafts 20 | Adds Bi directional Links

8 Likes

Now that’s an app that makes incredible use of its subscription money. Amazed to see how many useful features they keep shipping. They rock!

4 Likes

Now that Drafts has added bi-directional links, does anyone plan to build a zettelkasten in the app? I assume that with the actions, it would not be too complex to emulate Roam’s features…

2 Likes

I don’t think so because I find hard to add files to Drafts. Bear remains my tool of choice for this.

I don’t plan to build a Z anywhere, time waster that it is, but I’ve experimented with the Drafts 20 implementation of links. First, the description someone added that it is “bi-directional” linking is not precise. You add a link from Note A to Note B, and then edit Note B to add a link to Note A – but this is a multiple step process.

The syntax Drafts 20 introduces for this is not simple, but is logical within Drafts’ command and action structure. Like much of Drafts, the v20 features add more to the pile of Tinkertoys – the user has to build what they need from the toys.

2 Likes

Maybe I’m too old school, but I have a hard time getting myself to use Drafts for anything permanent. I see it kind of like an airport or a train station – it’s a place where text goes in transit, an ephemeral workspace of sorts. I don’t think I’ll be using Drafts as a note-taking tool anytime soon. Mixing permanent and ephemeral hasn’t ever worked for me in the past.

4 Likes

Could you kindly elaborate?
Is inter linking possible in bear

The best resource for those global feature questions always remains the website of the developer itself :slightly_smiling_face:

https://bear.app/faq/Tags%20&%20Linking/How%20to%20link%20notes%20together/

What is great about Bear links

• Autocompletion
  • The link text updates if you change the title of a note, which I find a game changer

It does not support backlinks though but I don’t mind. It’s a heavily requested feature though so I’d be surprised if it didn’t come at some point.

There is a script that does it, though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bearapp/comments/enbk65/sharing_a_script_which_maintains_a_backlinks/

User beware: it is possibly destructive editing so make sure you have good backups.

3 Likes

This went a bit sideways for me. It may have been improved since then though.

1 Like

Creating a simple Siri shortcut can search for wiki links and matched terms in bear’s database and append it to the bottom of the current note.

If Drafts brings transclusion/embeds, etc they could do so, but it would be a complete overhaul of the app. It’s built on documents, not blocks.

No app outside of Notion, or a wiki of some kind could replicate Roam’s core feature set without a complete overhaul. As I have said above, Roam’s primary feature is its block foundation, secondary to Bi-directional linking.

I would love to see more apps go this route. Notion’s implementation is great, but the app doesn’t make it easy to link blocks together and there is no great UI/UX to represent those links/connections. And with every update, Notion is getting faster and snappier. I wish I could find a use for it in my workflow.

3 Likes