Roam Research for thinking and knowledge management

I’ve actually been looking at lots of different software that can make a good personal knowledge store. I made a video on what I’ve seen so far actually.

5 Likes

Would you mind providing a link? Thank you. :blush:

Thanks for the video.

Could you provide a list of links to the products you mention – don’t have time to watch 30 minutes to get to the heart of the matter, sorry.

Guess I could do that myself. According to the show notes, he talks about:

Bear, Notion, Zettlr, TiddlyWiki, Dynalist, and The Archive.

Here at YouTube

2 Likes

A lot of red flags here. The pricing on Roam does not bother me but the arrogance of the CEO which is like NVALT combined with Wikilinks then combine this with a web only app with data being in the cloud and some people losing some data. No Thanks I will not be drinking the KoolAid.

I am looking more and more how the developers interface with their customers and more importantly that they have a survivable business model so I am not at risk of losing my time investing in a new eco system.

TheBrian that I am currently using has the diagraming that allows one to link and relate to other items.

So A couple of weeks ago I signed on the wait list without any form of response from Roam Research then I see where their servers overload and could handle their user base.

Output is a BIG requirement for me and the non-ability for Evernote to easily share a note with having the other person to sign in to Evernote’s eco system is frustrating. So the best work around is to print the note on the Mac then select Save to PDF. It would be nice Evernote directly created a PDF.

Loving working with Milanote

Notion is working for me for a lot of tasks as well.

A lot of good software out there so I am supporting the developers that have a vision of taking input from their customer base without the attitude.

I am forecasting that Roam Research is overhyping their product to prepare itself and get noticed for a big potential payout from one of the big companies like Facebook, Apple, Microsoft or Goggle.

But one thing for sure it will be interesting to watch the spectacle.

One thing I do hoped is that Roam Research takes some of the money and invests in a designer to give them a nice logo. :laughing:

4 Likes

Yeah the video got long but I wanted to explore each a bit to show how it might work. YouTube is a new venture so it’s all an experiment right now!

3 Likes

Very nice @justindirose!
Thanks for the summary.

1 Like

@justindirose , thank you for a great educational romp through various note-takers. TY also for the editorial highlights and avoiding repetition. I felt like I learned from each item you covered.

Well done.

1 Like

@JohnAtl @occam thanks for the feedback! I do plan to eventually show what a simple personal knowledge management system would look like in my favorites of those softwares (Bear, Notion, TiddlyWiki, possibly Dynalist). So be watching for those in the future!

3 Likes

If you add org-roam to that mix, I would totally buy you a Ko-if :slight_smile:

org-roam and DEVONthink have been recommended for the list before. They’re really cool software, but they’re really expert level due to the investment needed to learn and set them up well. That’s the only reason they didn’t make it to the list because I wanted to focus on tools with a lower barrier to entry :slight_smile:

1 Like

For those concerned with local/cloud storage…

3 Likes

Perhaps a desktop Electron app like Obsidian? Will be interested it that’s the case. I assume Roam might have more funds and staff than some of the wannabe-Roam-clones.

I have the same issue with ‘complex’ and ‘complicated’. Here’s an example from a book on complexity:

Many of the central results of complexity science are surprising; a recurring theme of this book is that simple models can produce complicated behavior, with the corollary that we can sometimes explain complicated behavior in the real world using simple models.
Downey, Allen. Think Complexity: Complexity Science and Computational Modeling . O’Reilly Media. Kindle Edition.

Surely he means “complex” when he writes “complicated.”

2 Likes

This is an excerpt taken from this article

http://ruudhein.com/data-portability

DATA EXIT STRATEGY

Planning, and testing, a Data Exit Strategy, is as important as your Backup Strategy: you don’t want to find out if it works or not by the time the rubber hits the road.

Before you commit to a tool, see what it exports how. Compare that end product to the value you hope to get from the tool; is what it exports of equal value as to what it contains, what you put it?

If not, how would you recuperate that value upon exit?

I think this makes a lot of sense in this day n age of software companies using proprietary data structures and unsustainable business models.

3 Likes

I have a cousin called Brian…

1 Like

Is Cousin Brian a Brain?

3 Likes

I went back to Dynalist for a couple of days after hearing the pricing and regretted it pretty soon. Roam is more than the sum of its parts, as mentioned earlier. The thoughtful mixture of elements makes an entry as frictionless as possible with the inconceivable potential to expand and evolve your own knowledge system. I am right now willing to pay the high price for the returns I am seeing.

2 Likes

Drafts 20 | Adds Bi directional Links

8 Likes

Now that’s an app that makes incredible use of its subscription money. Amazed to see how many useful features they keep shipping. They rock!

4 Likes

Now that Drafts has added bi-directional links, does anyone plan to build a zettelkasten in the app? I assume that with the actions, it would not be too complex to emulate Roam’s features…

2 Likes