Roam Research for thinking and knowledge management

I don’t think so because I find hard to add files to Drafts. Bear remains my tool of choice for this.

I don’t plan to build a Z anywhere, time waster that it is, but I’ve experimented with the Drafts 20 implementation of links. First, the description someone added that it is “bi-directional” linking is not precise. You add a link from Note A to Note B, and then edit Note B to add a link to Note A – but this is a multiple step process.

The syntax Drafts 20 introduces for this is not simple, but is logical within Drafts’ command and action structure. Like much of Drafts, the v20 features add more to the pile of Tinkertoys – the user has to build what they need from the toys.

2 Likes

Maybe I’m too old school, but I have a hard time getting myself to use Drafts for anything permanent. I see it kind of like an airport or a train station – it’s a place where text goes in transit, an ephemeral workspace of sorts. I don’t think I’ll be using Drafts as a note-taking tool anytime soon. Mixing permanent and ephemeral hasn’t ever worked for me in the past.

4 Likes

Could you kindly elaborate?
Is inter linking possible in bear

The best resource for those global feature questions always remains the website of the developer itself :slightly_smiling_face:

https://bear.app/faq/Tags%20&%20Linking/How%20to%20link%20notes%20together/

What is great about Bear links

• Autocompletion
  • The link text updates if you change the title of a note, which I find a game changer

It does not support backlinks though but I don’t mind. It’s a heavily requested feature though so I’d be surprised if it didn’t come at some point.

There is a script that does it, though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bearapp/comments/enbk65/sharing_a_script_which_maintains_a_backlinks/

User beware: it is possibly destructive editing so make sure you have good backups.

3 Likes

This went a bit sideways for me. It may have been improved since then though.

1 Like

Creating a simple Siri shortcut can search for wiki links and matched terms in bear’s database and append it to the bottom of the current note.

If Drafts brings transclusion/embeds, etc they could do so, but it would be a complete overhaul of the app. It’s built on documents, not blocks.

No app outside of Notion, or a wiki of some kind could replicate Roam’s core feature set without a complete overhaul. As I have said above, Roam’s primary feature is its block foundation, secondary to Bi-directional linking.

I would love to see more apps go this route. Notion’s implementation is great, but the app doesn’t make it easy to link blocks together and there is no great UI/UX to represent those links/connections. And with every update, Notion is getting faster and snappier. I wish I could find a use for it in my workflow.

3 Likes

*raises hand
To an extent, yes. My system isn’t canonically zettlekasten, but I do maintain a growing body of networked notes in Drafts. I started doing that a good while before the recent updates, and I’m excited by what the new functionality makes possible. It’s not Roam (as pointed out by a few others), but it’s my goto writing/note-making space, it’s native to iOS (where I do most of my computing), and I figure that if Luhmann could do what he did with index cards, Drafts is already a pretty amazing upgrade.

Thread you might find interesting over on the Drafts forum: https://forums.getdrafts.com/t/the-note-app-dilemma/7003/2

4 Likes

Wish id heard about this sooner I’m still on the waitlist. @JohnAtl are you still enjoying it?

I see we have a new marketing scheme - $500 for a 5-year licence with offline storage

https://twitter.com/Conaw/status/1265766040165728257

1 Like

The “quarterly group video-call with the leadership team” is, alone, priceless. :face_vomiting:

3 Likes

I think that the software industry needs to change from focusing on features to focusing on the process and workflows. What is the problem to be solved or made easier?

In the case of Drafts. It is one-man show of a guy who just loves his craft. Drafts tag line is “Where Text Starts”. Exactly, as MacSparky pointed out is one of the few apps with one button you are ready to enter a new note. An application that is a pre-processor to then route to another app for applying other formatting and/or inclusion in your reference system.

I see others trying to fit Roam Research into all types of processes and functions that it is not suitable for. Well anyhow, I forecast this software going down faster than WeWork.

The founder has lost it!
I have decided to go with Obsidian

1 Like

Yes, well every new app gets shoehorned into every possible use case. Apparently, the idea that you use different software for different purposes is just so passé, darlings.

So now Roam is supposed to handle attachments, images, PDFs (and PFD annotation), email, task lists (structured, of course). And all of this requires to to remember more keystroke combos than Wordstar ever did.

I think that’s unfair to WeWork - they (or their CEO) invested an enormous amount of time and effort to create a spectacular implosion. Do you honestly think Roam can match that, with its too-cool-for-school-amateur-hackbro approach?

1 Like

“Your name on a page of true believers.”

Should ring warning bells to potential users (and investors) - though again so should have other previous actions and statements - but I guess the small group of TBs are loving it. (I’m just waiting for him to tweet that he could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and not lose any users.) Twitter account @cultroam did a survey recently as to what to nickname Conor and the top vote was ‘Conman’.

4 Likes

Well, isn’t he going full Elon Musk now…
… and as with Musk, it can still go both ways, but “both” means “two” and I will not trust my data with a service which is ever so slowly inching towards crazy.

At least we’ll get robust clones out of it

1 Like

The true believers thing aside, $500 is about 2.75-3 years of monthly payments, right? That’s a little high, but not awful, especially if you put some value on offline storage. I find most lifetime offers clock in somewhere around 2 years of monthly or annual fees, or maybe 3 years of what you could get by buying discounted annual subscriptions. (Not a Roam user.)

2 Likes

I think this thread is now as divided as the good ol’ USA…

Really? Who here supports him as a “True Believer”?

Or as unified as ever in our obsession with tech. :slight_smile:

3 Likes