Roam Research for thinking and knowledge management

The mobile app is indeed a must-have for me as well and it seems the roadmap promises something a little too light for my taste. I’m currently in Bear and it’s hard to find a really delightful replacement.

@JohnAtl – “rudimentary” really is my dealbreaker with that solution. I would love to use DT – I would have loved it to use it literally for years – but DTTG is so far behind.

3 Likes

According to a Slack post from Conor W-S (not Twitter this time), paid access will (95% chance) be available this week. No detail of final costs or terms.

1 Like

Aye. For note-taking, DTTG itself isn’t such a good experience.

I still use it as a file repository on mobile, but I use DT indexing and serve up the folders in iCloud. That way I can access notes and files from multiple avenues.

@JohnAtl, does Dini’s book get into managing backlinks or mentions in DT at all? There are some pretty incredible scripts working towards this kind of functionality over on the DT forum (example: https://discourse.devontechnologies.com/t/dt3-script-create-stack-for-each-document-for-multiple-cards-snippets-with-backlink-cited-text-or-note-comment-and-tagging-perhaps-a-synergy-with-the-bookend-script/48614), but I’d be curious about Dini’s approach.

2 Likes

Yes, he does - return links, incoming links, etc.
I would post the ToC, but don’t want to circumvent his system. If you sign up for his newsletter, you can get the ToC and free samples of this and his other books and courses.

4 Likes

@times_reader I’ve been using Obsidian a few weeks after blowing them off a couple months ago. Very impressed with the pace of improvement and the attitude of the developers (same folks who built Dynalist). Would just point out that I keep my Obsidian vault on icloud entirely. Can access from my home Mac and work Windows station. Can access/edit any notes in my ipad with any of the md editors. Can put in links etc on the pad but of course you don’t have the dropdowns/search you have while in Obsidian - but it will recognize those links etc when you open the file in the app. Spent months on Roam (and contributed to both in beta) but I’m very likely to pick Obsidian over Roam as my final solution for a variety of reasons.

4 Likes

I have started the book and I’m impressed by both the work (was expecting as much by @kourosh !) but also the sheer possibilities of DEVONthink which I realize I had only scratched. I was and remain a Bear fan but it seems that for really deep knowledge work, DT remains unparalleled. I am itching for a true DTTG update but I could be willing to throw my lot with DT and trusting in a true DTTG update some time. I’m still doing most my deep work on the Mac anyway.

5 Likes

I’m if you aren’t on the DTTG beta, it is moving along quite nicely to a 3.0 release.

1 Like

Ooooooh

Thanks a lot for letting me know! Didn’t know that was so far along. Is there any place where more info would be available on what’s planned for that new release?

Really? I’m on the DEVONthink to Go betas and they seem more like clean-up-fix-up releases than anything impressive on the new features side.

1 Like

Well the judgement is relative. I don’t have too much tome to reply now, but there were a LOT of UI/UX bugs and outdated standards. I use(d) DTTG daily when I teach and the inconsistency in dealing with filters, sorting, syncing, and displaying PDFs was extremely irritating. Most of them are fixed now. Added context menus, dark mode improvements, open in place functionality (though haven’t had time to test that yet), and several others that I felt were crucial pain points. So for me, great progress. I am hoping for DTTG to accept DT wiki linking and then we are in some serious business.

3 Likes

FWIW, I think they are working through a pretty big stack of iOS improvements right now and I appreciate the desire to stick with platform APIs. I’ll give them time for sure!

2 Likes

I’m still struggling with Tiddlywiki. I don’t get how to set it up.

They are indeed, but one important thing to note is that the improvements they are making are to the 2.x code of the app. No one outside of the internal dev team knows, at this point, what is happening with a 3.0 release so there should not be any false expectations that 3.0 is imminent. Which is how I would likely interpret ‘moving along quite nicely’ if I didn’t know better.

1 Like

Indeed because now I’m all sad. :smile:

Update to Roam Research: native custom themes and a whole lot of improvements over the last two weeks.

Roam Research for thinking and knowledge management

According to an email from Nat Eliason , the plan is to begin charging for Roam next week.

Edit: Also, Sönke Ahrens has drank the Kool-Aid, and tweeted he is switching to Roam.

1 Like

There is no update on when he will allow users to get access. Been on waitlist

According to Conor, they’re going for tomorrow - if you’re ready to pay. No news on a trial or free version

That’s a powerful turn.

1 Like

Regardless of Roam survives, it will definitely change the paradigm. It’s becoming far more polished in the last week readying for launch to the waitlist.

What @beck does in Tinderbox is an effective analogy of the power of Roam. Roam has changed the way I think, write, and teach. It’s not like it can’t be done elsewhere, just way more efficient - despite admins brashness.

1 Like