Roam Research for thinking and knowledge management

I’m if you aren’t on the DTTG beta, it is moving along quite nicely to a 3.0 release.

1 Like

Ooooooh

Thanks a lot for letting me know! Didn’t know that was so far along. Is there any place where more info would be available on what’s planned for that new release?

Really? I’m on the DEVONthink to Go betas and they seem more like clean-up-fix-up releases than anything impressive on the new features side.

1 Like

Well the judgement is relative. I don’t have too much tome to reply now, but there were a LOT of UI/UX bugs and outdated standards. I use(d) DTTG daily when I teach and the inconsistency in dealing with filters, sorting, syncing, and displaying PDFs was extremely irritating. Most of them are fixed now. Added context menus, dark mode improvements, open in place functionality (though haven’t had time to test that yet), and several others that I felt were crucial pain points. So for me, great progress. I am hoping for DTTG to accept DT wiki linking and then we are in some serious business.

3 Likes

FWIW, I think they are working through a pretty big stack of iOS improvements right now and I appreciate the desire to stick with platform APIs. I’ll give them time for sure!

2 Likes

I’m still struggling with Tiddlywiki. I don’t get how to set it up.

They are indeed, but one important thing to note is that the improvements they are making are to the 2.x code of the app. No one outside of the internal dev team knows, at this point, what is happening with a 3.0 release so there should not be any false expectations that 3.0 is imminent. Which is how I would likely interpret ‘moving along quite nicely’ if I didn’t know better.

1 Like

Indeed because now I’m all sad. :smile:

Update to Roam Research: native custom themes and a whole lot of improvements over the last two weeks.

Roam Research for thinking and knowledge management

According to an email from Nat Eliason , the plan is to begin charging for Roam next week.

Edit: Also, Sönke Ahrens has drank the Kool-Aid, and tweeted he is switching to Roam.

1 Like

There is no update on when he will allow users to get access. Been on waitlist

According to Conor, they’re going for tomorrow - if you’re ready to pay. No news on a trial or free version

That’s a powerful turn.

1 Like

Regardless of Roam survives, it will definitely change the paradigm. It’s becoming far more polished in the last week readying for launch to the waitlist.

What @beck does in Tinderbox is an effective analogy of the power of Roam. Roam has changed the way I think, write, and teach. It’s not like it can’t be done elsewhere, just way more efficient - despite admins brashness.

1 Like

Wait, did they appropriate Andy Matuschak’s website design for Roam?
https://notes.andymatuschak.org/z4SDCZQeRo4xFEQ8H4qrSqd68ucpgE6LU155C?stackedNotes=z4Rrmh17vMBbauEGnFPTZSK3UmdsGExLRfZz1

No CSS adoption based on Andy’s style.

Does this mean an app with all data stored locally, or does it mean data is synced back to local machine to enable working offline?

He’s pretty responsive on Twitter, you might give him a shout.

It’s a little unclear at this point. But I assume just a local cache until back online. There has been no discussion of an official app yet. And the developer is quite vocal about almost everything.

1 Like

Unsure about this. I tried tweeting at Roam several times asking questions and never got answers…