Roam vs. Obsidian: A 30-day Reflection

Exactly. That’s also why I now prefer systems that use SQLIte as their underlyin database structure. I know that I can go in and get the data out eventually if I need to, even from databses as complex as LightRoom. So I’m far less worried about a potentially proprietary structure.

As @ChrisUpchurch said. The syntax is pretty clear so it would be possible to take tose notes and edit them to handle a new type of link or location.

I agree with you on the getting the mobile app installed, that was difficult. But sync is simple, atlleast for me. I don’t use their sync so mine is just a quick drag and drop of the vault folder onto and off of my mobile devices.

It’s also all in early beta, I would say if that bothers you then wait for rev 1.0. However, as beta software goes IMO it’s amazing.

Thisis a really good idea and optiona nd one that I am considering using. I haven’t done it in part because I am not using many folder in my Obsidian vault so I can get by with local file linking being sufficient.

1 Like

What is best and simplist way to create a unique identifier regardingless of the program, in my case Craft?

1 Like

I index my Obsidian vault into DEVONthink and the linking works on Mac though not in DEVONthink To Go. So I feel future-proofed.

1 Like

Let DuckDuckGo do it

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=uuid&t=iphone&ia=answer

1 Like

Didn’t you just get started with Keyboard Maestro? Here’s a KM macro to make a unique ID based on date and time.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll check some of those out. Appreciated!

I’ve just begun going through the Field Guide. :slight_smile: I’m still completely new to KM. Do I use type that text where and as indicated?

UPDATE: I got it working, thanks! I know KM does not work on the iPad. Is there a good way to replicate this on the iPad?

Yup. When you figure out how to start a new macro, you’ll see fields for telling KM what triggers the macro and an area to enter one or more actions (only one action in this case).

I use a semi-colon (;) followed immediately by a three-character abbreviation as the trigger string for all my text expansions (in this case “;uid” for Universal ID).

Way to go, man!

My solution is to not use the iPad for this sort of thing. Not helpful, I know. Doesn’t Text Expander work on iOS? Maybe it could help.

It does but I had cancelled my subscription. I’ll to see if I can find a text replacement program for iPad that can execute %ICUDateTime%yyyMMddHHmm%

I have no idea what they may be or even exactly what to look for regarding that ability. It is too bad that Apple text replacement function can’t implement this.

Shortcuts!

Here you go:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/6b8722e003864bf1b53ece909dc4a63f

3 Likes

This is embarrassing to admit, but I keep forgetting about Shortcuts because I seldom use it. It seems to me that I need to devote an hour or two a week for a month or two to learn at least the basics of Shortcuts and KM. Though, with Shortcuts coming to the Mac that may be sufficient for my use cases making learning KM less needed.

Thanks a million for taking the time to create the shortcut. That was kind and thoughtful!

1 Like

Wow @celler! Great job on this.

I’m glad Roam is working out for you. One of my favorite Roam features is the way everything is just an outline. That can be really useful for some folks.

I spent several months looking at Roam but jumped into Obsidian full time last September and that remains the app for me. I’ve rambled about it so much on the show.

As to Task Management, I continue to be unimpressed with Obsidian or Roam as a “do everything” app. I keep my Calendar in a fancy calendar app. I keep my task list in a fancy task list app. Obsidian lets me create URL links so I can easily jump between apps. I’d encourage folks to not try and turn these apps into all-in-ones but instead focus on their strengths.

There is an Obsidian Field Guide in the works. Although the app is moving so fast right now that I’m waiting 2-4 more months before producing it. They aren’t even at 1.0 yet and the mobile app still definitely need more work. Also, @mikeschmitz is already working on a course for Sweet Setup up that will come out before mine does if that helps.

10 Likes

For future reference: it’s not quite a straight replacement for TextExpander, but LazyBoard keeps me pretty happy on iOS for things I would have turned to TextExpander for in a past life. In this instance, it does date expansion from templates…

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll check it out!

Celler,

Thank you for you thoughts. I think you’ve provided a good counterpoint to what I see as the current obsession with the “new and shiny” Obsidian. I think in the rush to jump on the bandwagon, many have minimized the problems with the program.

I think your point about the “future-proof” of Obsidian is an excellent one. If the links can’t transfer, then what I see as the main value in Obsidian isn’t really future-proof at all. While some may be able to “write a script” to enable a transfer of links, I doubt that most users have the skills to do so.

The discussions about whether Obsidian or Roam is more likely to “stay around” for a longer period of time to me overlooks a very real possibility that makes that speculation moot. People seem to forget that both of these programs are first-generation pieces of software in the class of PKM managers that focus on linked texts. I think it’s highly likely that newer software platforms will come along that build on the base of these early efforts and greatly improve upon them. They’re “new and shiny” now, but they won’t be sometime in the future.

I can imagine a program that has been built for the Mac and looks and acts like a Mac program. One that also considers aesthetics (anyone else think Obsidian is ugly?) and doesn’t come across as a DOS program that only cares about function.

JIm

1 Like

I tend to agree with your assessment of Obsidian and similar programs. That said, if Apple would add a few key features to Apple Notes in addition to what they just announced I believe Notes would be a great contender per my prior post, here.

1 Like

Yup, back linking like Craft is the bare minimum and I’m in Apple Notes.

1 Like

Obsidian courses I’m aware of: (1) Obsidian Made Simple (by Justin DiRose) and (2) Obsidian (by Santi Younger).

The Zero to Obsidian course that Ryan mentioned—you can pay $79 for the July 13th workshop that’s designed to get you up and running with Obsidian, and then when the course itself comes out (early August), you get the course for free (that is, as part of having paid the $79 for the workshop). Course will otherwise cost $149, though I wouldn’t be surprised if there were a discount when it first comes out. To register for the workshop, go here (it says at the top of that page that the next workshop is on June 13, but that appears to be a typo).

Lastly, Curtis McHale says he’s working on an Obsidian course that will be available via Skillshare. Don’t know when that’ll be done, though.

2 Likes

Thanks for the mention @f-dawg :slight_smile: The course is almost 1 year old now :exploding_head: hard to believe it.

While some of the exact UI elements have changed in look over the last year, the general principles and features have stayed the same. That being said, we’re still regularly adding modules and making improvements, especially if there are requests!