Sage Advice from a 95 Year Old

This has nothing to do with tech so if the moderators delete this post, I’ll understand. :slight_smile: But, I found this delightful and uplifting with a nice perspective as we enter 2021. I hope this will be an encouragement to each of us.

10 Likes

Nice. Thank you.

A family member just turned 100 a couple weeks ago. Of course we had a big surprise Zoom call for her with the 50 “closest” relatives, and of course everyone asked her secret of longevity.

Her answer: eat all the junk food you want :slight_smile:

4 Likes

And, I hope I look as good as he does at 95! :slight_smile:

I can finally die happy knowing that junk food doesn’t influence how long you live. :sweat_smile:

Really doesn’t belong

Please let’s keep politics out of MPU

3 Likes

I didn’t see anything political in this article or I would not have posted it. I interpreted it as focusing on a positive outlook on life. He mentioned conflict but unless I missed it, it was not partisan or overly political. He emphasized not fearing Covid-but using a mask, disagreeing but not hammering others, not fearing death. Yes he mentioned civil unrest but not in a political manner. Did I miss something or are you reading into it? That is an honest question, not an accusation. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

The underlying message of “Don’t fear Coronavirus - everything has its risks - live your life” is inhertently political presently

Please let’s stick to tech here - there are plenty of political forums of all stripes if that is your thing

1 Like

Not strictly tech related but then quite a few threads here aren’t.

Having a bit of perspective is never a bad thing.

3 Likes

We will have to agree to disagree on this one, respectfully. :slight_smile: For a 95 year-old, not fearing Covid but taking the precaution of wearing a mask strikes me as character, courage, optimism, and wisdom gained from age. I don’t see it as political at all. I really think you may be reading too much into it. That said, I want to again repeat that I would not have posted the article if I thought it was in anyway political. You are correct and I completely agree, this is not the forum for political discourse. I posted it because it is Jan. 1 and I thought it was an uplifting message—that is all.

10 Likes

The problem is a lot of people don’t read details - they look at the headline and pass it on in social media.

I could see this being reposted with the argument that Covid fear is fake and we should just live our lives.

That concerns me at a time when hospitals are so full that even non-Covid patients cannot get proper care.

That’s true. That’s why we have warning labels telling people not to use their hair dryer in the shower. But that doesn’t mean we should try to dumb down the planet. It wouldn’t help, you can’t fix stupid.

Me neither.

And with that I’m permanently leaving the conversation. It’s 74 degrees and I’m going for a walk.

5 Likes

“The problem is a lot of people don’t read details - they look at the headline and pass it on in social media.” @rkaplan

Perhaps that is the reader’s problem and not the poster’s? :slight_smile:

Reminds me of this recent thread: Bottom posting in Mail?

5 Likes

Maybe we can debate this :slight_smile:

https://www.inc.com/geoffrey-james/the-correct-way-to-hang-toilet-paper-according-to-.html

1 Like

@rkaplan That made me laugh! :laughing: I use the “correct” approach, “over”.

Thanks for adding a bit of good natured humor to the thread. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sadly, the media have made COVID, as well as many other things, political. This person’s perspective is not political, it’s an uplifting message for the new year.

4 Likes

“Do not expose your LaserWriter to fire or intense heat.”
Apple LaserWriter manual

Also sage advice, and decidedly on topic (if somewhat out of date) :smiley:

1 Like

the fact that covid is political to you tells us alot.

3 Likes

Ironically, you seem to be the one trying to bring politics into a discussion about COVID-19, which isn’t even a political matter…

@Bmosbacker was simply trying to share a positive message by a happy 95 year old man. The party has been ruined and the fate of the topic has been sealed… :pensive:

That was bound to happen, nor do I think that the media could’ve prevented it. Everyday fools helped to play into it too. The pandemic happened during a disastrous election year…

TL;DR: COVID-19 is not a political matter. Can we at least attempt to get back on topic please? End of story (hopefully)…

1 Like

I’d like to keep the forum focused on Apple and apple-adjacent issues please. Plenty of other places I can go for other things – and I do.

Well, it seems like my good intentions turned sour. No problem; I’ll just delete this post. Sorry for any unintended concern I caused. Seriously, I was only seeking to share an optimistic vision for the new year.

7 Likes