ScanSnap S1500M will be DOA on Mojave

I’m hesitant to replace my ScanSnap S1500M with the current model iX500, fearing that this model could become obsolete with a future macOS upgrade or when Fujitsu discontinues that model.

Under consideration is this workaround: dedicate my 2010 MacBook Air (running High Sierra) to scanning using the ScanSnap scanner. I could scan the documents to a DropBox folder (or maybe iCloud), then the files would be instantly available on my desktop iMac. The old MacBook Air will fetch only $125 on Gazelle and can’t be upgraded to Mojave anyway.

Cheaper than buying a new ScanSnap. :grinning: And I would be free to upgrade my late 2014 Retina iMac to macOS Mojave.

2 Likes

I may end up using a mid-2011 Mac mini (also not compatible with Mojave) the same way.

1 Like

Hmm… That’s annoying. It seems that with every macOS upgrade for the past few years there has been problems with Fujitsu ScanSnap software. I’ve got a S1500M and a S1100.

I did install ScanSnap Manager v6.3 L70 which I think is for the ix500 so I wonder if that would work? I haven’t upgraded to Mojave yet.

I’d hate to have to get rid of my Fujitsu scanners as they’re very useful and have been working well for many years.

Brother look to make some similar scanners which do support Mojave.
http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/os/macintosh.html#ds

1 Like

Its not just Scansnap. Many developers neglect to update their software and wait untill every one starts to complain :-1::angry:strong text

As Melanie pointed out, always check out drivers from other ScanSnap models. I have an old S300 still running using S1500M drivers. Keeping my fingers crossed I can keep it working with something going forward.

https://www.40tech.com/2015/10/24/scansnap-not-working-with-el-capitan-theres-hope/

Happy to report that after downloading Mojave my trusty S1500M is still scanning away. Of course, no telling if it will still work in a year after Mojave updates or whatever the next macOS is, but I’m good for now. :smiley:

@JaxGirl,
Thanks for the good news. Would you please check to see which version of ScanSnap Manager you are using? I also have the S1500M, running ScanSnap Manager Version 6.3 L70 under macOS High Sierra. Thanks.

Have ScanSnap Manager Version 6.3.70.1001. I downloaded the ix500 Manager and its Online Update that mine was missing. Although since Fujitsu is no longer supporting either model, the Update feature is kinda moot now.

I deleted the 1500m software and installed the X500 and it works. Scanning just as before.

I did the very same thing. But I noticed that the iX500 drivers are also 32 bit so they will probably fail next year when “high mojave” is released. These drivers and a couple Apple apps are the only 32 bit apps reported in System Report…

I too can confirm that the S1100 and S1500M are working OK under Mojave using the latest ScanSnap Manager Software version 6.3 L70

I got the 32-bit warning though. Hopefully when they release the 64-bit version of ScanSnap manager it will work with the older scanners…

Anyone suggest software for the S1300? I tried the S1300i software but no joy.

Have you tried the ix500 software? Seems to work for my old S510M

I use the S1500M under High Sierra now and have not upgraded to Mojave yet. However, my ScanSnap Manager version is 3.2 L91 and I just updated it today. It’s now reporting that I have the latest so I’m not sure how people are showing that they have version 6.3 L70 unless they installed it for another scanner other than the S1500M.

I upgraded from Sierra to Mojave and the scanner and scansnap manager still work. However, the scansnap manager complains after every reboot as it’s a 32 bit software and not 64 bit application. Other than that, and a few crashes when closing (no data lost), it’s okay. Running ScanSnap Manager version 3.2 L91

@mikeypru - Yes, exactly - version 6.3 L70, designated for another scanner, was installed in my iMac but used to operate the ScanSnap S1500M. I had to drill through the Fujitsu support website and select the other scanner (S1300i) to get to the desired software download page. As you indicated, the “current” version of ScanSnap Manager for the S1500M is version 3.2 L91.

Why install the “incorrect” software version? Long story - the short version is that this was a workaround recommended by Fujitsu about a year ago to deal with an incompatibility between ScanSnap Manager and macOS High Sierra v10.13. Apple modified the portion of macOS dealing with PDF files and Fujitsu was slow to respond with a software update. Here is a link to Fujitsu’s explanation and instructions:
https://talk.macpowerusers.com/t/scansnap-s1500m-will-be-doa-on-mojave/7676/22

Perhaps the version 3.2 L91 ScanSnap software might work correctly for the ScanSnap S1500M with High Sierra and Mojave now - I don’t know. You can check by scanning a multi-page (at least 5 pages) document in the ScanSnap scanner and saving the document as a single PDF file. If the pages are in the correct order, you should be OK with this software - at least until another macOS update that “breaks” the ScanSnap software. Again.

I have a ScanSnap S1500M. It works fine and I’m not very keen on upgrading just for the sake of it. After problems last year, I installed software 6.3.L70. It solved the problems when I as using High Sierra and I am now using it on Mojave without any problems. The most recent update of ScanSnap I could not get to work, so I reverted to 6.3.L70 software. thanks

1 Like

Yep. My S1500M works fine on the older ScanSnap Manager and Mojave. However, if it’s bricked with a later macOS update, I’ll never buy another Fujitsu product. Seriously considering a Brother desktop scanner that is Twain compliant.

1 Like

My S1500M is not working on Mojave even with ScanSnap Manager v6.3L70. I had 3.2 L91 before because I skipped High Sierra. So I did a complete uninstall of everything, then installed v6.3L50, then updated to V6.3L61, then finally to V6.3L70. But still not able to get my scanner to connect. I’m running Mojave on an unsupported MacBook Pro though so that could be part of the issue as well.

I’m wondering if there is any other software besides the ScanSnap Manager I should install?

Contradictory observations … the Fujitsu software situation is a mess, and has been since at least late 2016.

@JaxGirl and @Brendan, please keep us posted in this forum on your outcomes - @JaxGirl on updating to future macOS releases and @Brendan on getting ScanSnap Manager V6.3L70 to work for you under the current version of Mojave.

@Brendan, you might consider a sledgehammer approach - do a “nuke and pave”. Erase your hard drive, clean install of Mojave and reconstruct your Mac, and finally install SS Manager V6.3L70. The theory here is that there might be a remnant of the older ScanSnap software V3.2L91 causing the problem. Would be a lot of work, though for what amounts to a “shot in the dark” or a blind guess.

That might not work if the discrepancy between your experience and that of @JaxGirl is due to differences in the sequence of Mojave upgrades and ScanSnap Manager updates. Maybe one of you had SS Manager V6.3L70 working under High Sierra and then upgraded to macOS Mojave, and the other updated to SS Manager V6.3L70 after Mojave was already running. If that is the case, maybe you (@Brendan) could try “downgrading” your Mac to High Sierra, installing SS Manager V6.3L70, then upgrading to Mojave. A lot of work, but not as much as a “nuke and pave”.

I’m no Mac expert, just trying to figure out if I should upgrade my iMac to Mojave while I have my ScanSnap S1500M working with SS Manager V6.3L70 under macOS High Sierra. Over the years various Apple Care tech support reps and others have advised re-installing OS X/macOS as a fix for obscure software issues.