ScanSnap S1500M will be DOA on Mojave

I went with the pro version because of the OCR. It is lightning fast compared to my old workflow of ScanSnap passed to PDFpen Pro. ExactScan Pro OCRs as it scans each page—super fast.

ExactScan will also auto detect paper in the scanner and start a scan without any user interaction. While I have played with it for a while, I tend to have it wait for me to push the button. That way I can select different profiles before scanning.

1 Like

I tried using the ExactScan Pro. Used the trial version. I ran into a surprising number of problems. iMac / Mojave

1. Multiple crashes. Redownloaded app, restarted Mac etc. trying to deal with this.
  2. Select Scanner option did not work. Showed only some HP scanner that I do not own. Restarted my ScanSnap 1500M and then it defaulted to this scanner. At this point, if I try Select Scanner under the ExactScan Pro menu then a small window flashes on and off the screen but nothing useful happens. No way I can Select Scanner
  3. My profiles frequently does not retain values that I have entered. In the Gray scale profile, I would enter 1200dpi. I would go to other settings and come back to this and it has reverted to 100dpi. Multiple times.
  4. If I check option to Open with: Preview I will get an error message -43 telling me that Preview failed to launch. I never could get this to work.
  5. I have no idea what the Preview option is supposed to do. A side window slides out but shows nothing useful. Perhaps I simply do not know how to use this. It shows + and - buttons that in any other Mac application I have act to add to remove items from a list. Here they appear to be zoom in and zoom out buttons which to me is bizarre. In any case, they are just showing blank sheet of paper image.
    I have not tried VueScan. I have finally gotten ExactScan Pro Test version to occasionally work in terms of actually getting a scan to PDF in both gray scale and B&W. But it has not been a reassuring experience at all. I have no idea why my experience seems to differ so radically from others who posted here.
    I just scanned 100 pages using Gray Scale at 1200 dpi and ended up with a 7 GB !! file. this setting would result in PDFs on the order of 80 MB in size with my ScanSnap software.
    When I tried to open it in Acrobat it said it was “damaged” but Acrobat ultimately was able to “repair” it. That reduced its size to 1 GB which is better but still huge compared with my experiences using the ScanSnap.
    It was missing two pages. I was duplex scanning. The missing pages were adjacent but not from the same sheet of paper. Rather I was missing the back of one and the front of the next. Bizarre.
    I am trying to get to Catalina with my ScanSnap 1500M being a major impediment. I have just spent three hours with this trial ExactScan software trying to understand all the glitches that I have run into.
2 Likes

OK. I tried both Vuescan and exactscan on Catalina with my S1500M. Exactscan works very well with one annoying exception. If there is a paper jam or double feed, it crashes. The Scansnap from fujitsu asks to reload or continue scan or abort. The other annoying feature with exactscan is that the auto color doesnt work. a page with a little block of color will be scanned as B&W. Otherwise exactscan is the winner. For $99, vs throwing away the scanner, I will spend $99. Also Acrobat pro stopped working in Catalina. Too bad, it continued to work thru Mojave!

Thanks for the update. Acrobat Pro stopping and Hazel still not playing nice with Catalina will keep me with Mojave for the time being.

Just Loaded Snapscan Manager V3.2.L80 on Mac OS 10.14.6 Mojave and the S1500M document scanner is working as expected.

Here’s a link: (http://origin.pfultd.com/downloads/IMAGE/driver/ss/mgr/m-s1500/MacS1500ManagerV32L80WW.dmg)

The PDFs that the scanner creates are great and can be read by Adobe Acrobat for further processing and Optimizing.

@3DLake - Are you using a mac with a spinning HDD or a mac with an SSD? And have you scanned multi-page documents? If so, are the pages in proper order? And OCR works?

I ask this because early last year (2019) there were problems with V3.2 of the Scansnap Manager app. The problems were manifested by incorrect page order, loss of the OCR layer, incorrect keywords. See post number 44 above for more details and a link to Fujitsu support providing links to V6.3 of Scansnap manager.

These problems apparently existed only with SSD-equiped Macs using the newer APFS file system. Version 6.3L70 of Scansnap Manager resolved those issues.

It is my understanding that Scansnap Manager V3.2L80 works for Macs with spinning HDDs but not for SSD-equipped Macs running under APFS. Can you provide information that would confirm this, or not? Thanks.

Hello @Arthur

I am using a Mac Pro 4,1 that I upgraded the hardware firmware to a 5,1 machine and is running Mac OS 10.14.6. In this system I have a 1TB SSD system disk with the newer APFS file system. I have run many long multi-sheet documents thru the scanner (6 - 30 pages++) with no pages out of order. My normal work flow it to scan to PDF and have the files come up in Preview or straight into Adobe Acrobat 8.3.1 that I can then Optimize the scanned PDF to reduce file size and run OCR on it. When I purchased my S1500M it came with a real copy of Adobe Acrobat 8.

I’m guessing the OCR your are trying comes with the ABBY software. I’ve never used it since I have Acrobat 8 on my Mac. Also when I tried to use the newer Snapscan Manager software mentioned in this thread V6.3, I could only find “Update” versions of the software and no full base install downloads. The older V3.2.L80 is working!!

Best regards

Surprisingly, they’ve recently released support for S1500M in their latest driver that wroks on Catalina.

Yep. I downloaded it and the update last week. My S1500M is no longer a brick (I now have Catalina on a 2020 MBP). I do have ExactScan as backup in case Fujitsu craps out on us again.

1 Like

Looks like Fujitsu have finally listened:

2 Likes