Search everything you've seen, said, or heard on your computer

Not just the audio on the mac, it will record everything it hears.
I’ve since uninstalled and removed all the logs.

2 Likes

Part of me thinks this would be cool.

The other part is thing this has a great big hacking target painted on its back. I don’t need to attack your password vault to get your banking information I just need attack your recording system.

Spy agencies must be rubbing their hands with glee.

2 Likes

I’ve been using it for a few months. It’s pretty neat – I like how they do everything on device to (at least mosly) preserve privacy.

That being said, doing it on device comes with a huge battery hit. I’m not sure how to reconcile the CPU usage hit they talk about with the battery performance hit… My Maxbook 16 inch battery empties literally 30% faster when Rewind is running.

1 Like

Disappointing. Nothing got recorded. Really unintuitive UI and doesn’t look like a Mac app. I wanted it to be what it aspires to be but it’s nowhere near yet. Great idea, though.

Yeah, and doing so, without the knowledge of the others, could be a crime, at least within parts of Europe!
So, I am not sure whether it is a smart act, to have a system running on your Mac, that could get you some Jailtime just by being there…

The developer might have had some good intentions, but they way overshoot the target, from my point of view.
In addition, there are so many ways, this system could be misused, and turned against its user…
George Orwell would have had his pleasures with something like that…

It only records audio from Zoom meetings automatically, and that can be disabled - everything else has to be manually started and stopped.

I disabled it, since all my meetings over Zoom are in Norwegian anyway - and I see no point in wasting space on that.

1 Like

How long until companies start installing such tools on work computers?

Or regimes like China on everyone’s?

I thought many had already installed spyware on their employees.

Companies: “All your base are belong to us”

2 Likes

This could get you 3 years jail time, in Germany!
And there are similar laws within other European countries, too!

Why do you thing, that this is not already happening!

1 Like

Oh thanks I didn’t realise that since I’m mostly on mains power but I’ll watch out for it.

It’s still in beta so lets see where they go with it but hopefully it improves fast.

Rewind seems like it could be occasionally convenient but it does not offset the risk to personal information. Can you imagine someone getting “canceled” for something they may have said 10 years ago? Oh wait, that’s happening already. This tool just makes it easier to go through :clap: every :clap: single :clap: detail of someone’s conversations and data - all wrapped up in a tidy little package.