September 2020 Event Thread!

I seem to recall back in my distant past days as a Windows user, Microsoft would do a big Windows update every couple of years, and follow it up quickly by a minor update, designated as a service pack. And people often used to wait for the service pack. Windows XP SP1, for example. I don’t know if MSFT still does that.

Of course, Apple already does something similar, informally. “I’ll wait for the .1 release” is a thing among power users.

No; quoting Wikipedia:

Windows 10 is often described by Microsoft as being a “service”, as it receives regular “feature updates” that contain new features and other updates and fixes. In April 2017, Microsoft stated that these updates would be released twice a year every March and September in the future. Mainstream builds of Windows 10 are labeled “YYMM”, with “YY” representing the two-digit year and “MM” representing the month of release. For example, version 1809 was released in September (the ninth month) of 2018.

1 Like

Personally, I’d rather they stop doing any major updates and just release new features and updates when they are ready. IOS 13 showed what happens when you rush things to meet an artificial deadline.

Catalina, Big Sur, etc. is just marketing. IMO, Apple just needs to keep innovating and drop the hype.

You don’t get to be successful without some of each. Steve Jobs was 10x the hype man for Apple than anything we see today.

I don’t disagree, there is a time for hype. But it’s not 1996 and Apple hasn’t been the plucky little “Think Different” company for a long time. They are as mainstream as WalMart.

At least that’s how I see it.

I’m just hoping the rumor of a new AppleTV from the beginning of the year comes true.

One theory is that Catalina and i(Pad)OS 14 were the b-team while the transition to Apple Silicon was prepared by the A-team. Big Sur. That is why they were so buggy. Sound right to me, but is just a thought, of course.

Bottom line, Apple released a product before it was ready. In the future I’ll be waiting until an upgrade is proven reliable before I install it.

That’s kind of the sine qua non to me - “does this thing work?”

It’s one thing to understand the rationale of why it doesn’t work. It’s another thing entirely to put up with something that doesn’t work on a day-to-day basis. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Because the all previous releases by the A-Team were so good out of the gate, making perfect landings? :wink:

OS development builds are closely tied. I don’t doubt that there was specialty work done for Apple Silicon (eg getting iPadOS apps to transparently run) but I doubt work for each version was so dramatically cordoned-off.

If anything, given Apple’s sales and revenue, the real A-Team is focused on iOS…

I had every beta since I think Al Cap on my daily driver as soon as possible. Never had serious problems until Catalina. Big Sur is fine, too.
Catalina really sticks out.

The things I’m most excited to see from Apple this fall are the new iPhone, over ear headphones, and an Apple Silicon MacBook or MacBook Air. We’ll see if any of those are slated for this event, but based on the rumors I’m probably going to have to wait a bit longer.

I like the new product RED Apple Watch! Very bold.

2 Likes

Solo Loop and the Leather Link for the win! The buckles and clasps on watch bands have always made it so I don’t want to wear a watch while using my computer. I might be tempted to get an Apple watch with one of those clasp-less bands.

1 Like

I agree. They look great!

I’m tempted by the Solo Loop for my sleep watch.

No more power adapter? That’s not environment, thats’s more income for apple

3 Likes

I missed whether the new faces are specific to the new watchOS or the new watches themselves. Anyone know?

I got the impression they are part of the new OS, but I do not remember a specific statement about which watches can use the new faces.

Fitness+ is pretty clever.

3 Likes